BC Boards

Just got a new puppy

Hi, new here with a question. I have a 12 week old border collie named jet. I am interested in getting him into agility when he is older and would like to hear opinions on when and if I should neuter him. Thanks for the help.

post-15080-0-35733300-1373058903_thumb.jpg

post-15080-0-87454000-1373058946_thumb.jpg

post-15080-0-90325300-1373058973_thumb.jpg

Welcome! This is a good site for information about Border Collies.

People here will advise that you do not do any impact and repetitive motion (jumping, running/jogging on hard surfaces, and such) activities until he is largely finished with his bone growth - sometime after a minimum of about 15 months or later. Neutering is the same, after the growth plates have fused and his bone growth is ended, and many people will advise after at least 15-18 months of age. Neutering early may result in unsoundness due to changed bone growth patterns/rates in the early-neutered dog or bitch. Too much impact or repetitive action may also result in soundness issues as they can adversely affect the growth plates.

There are pros and cons to neutering (I'll be upfront and tell you all my dogs are neutered) and there is endless debate about this very topic. These pros and cons are both related to health and soundness, and to behavior. Neutering will prevent any possibility of unplanned, unwanted breedings and for that reason alone can be a good choice. (Have you read the "Read this first" post at the top of the page for General Border Collie Discussion, which explains the philosophy of these boards with regards to breeding?) It also tends (results vary) to reduce a dog's interest in the opposite sex; may reduce intact-related aggression; and may help your dog be a more focused agility and pet partner. You can use the "search" feature to access a number of topics dealing with the pluses and minuses of neutering.

Good luck with your pup!

PS - Others will chime in with better and more complete information, I am sure.

Welcome !

.....others on the forum would be more knowledgable in that area than me, but I just wanted to say he is a handsome pup and he looks so calm and relaxed, but I'm sure he has his energentic zoomies at times :)