BC Boards

pooping in her kennel

tomtom

My 5 month old female puppy poops(and pees) in her kennel during the day, and all over the house at night while I'm asleep. It's driving me nuts. It took 2 months for her to stop peeing and pooping in front of me. For a while (a couple weeks) she was doing very well. Nothing in our routine has changed. I don't know how to solve this. I can't solve the pooping all over the house at night because she'll just poop in her kennel if I put her in there. I'm having a good friend come over and let the dogs out midday while I'm at work so I hope that will solve the daytime kennel problem. I sleep right through my alarm in the middle of the night so, that's out the window, any advice?

How "tight" is the kennel? Often people use kennels that are too big. This allows the pup to poop in one area and lie in another. We used boxes and pillows to tighten up Cerb's kennel when he was a shorty. Tighten the kennel up. The pup shouldn't want to pee/poop where it sleeps.

I'm having a good friend come over and let the dogs out midday while I'm at work so I hope that will solve the daytime kennel problem.

How long were you leaving her in her crate during the day before you made this arrangement? A pup can "hold it" for its age in months plus one, as a rule of thumb. So a 5 month old pup can hold it for 6 hours.

Also, as Lewis Moon points out, the crate size could be an issue. There should be enough room in the crate for the pup to stand, turn around, and lie down comfortably and not much more - at least until they learn to control their potty.

Best wishes!

I sleep right through my alarm in the middle of the night so, that's out the window, any advice?

Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't have gotten such a young puppy? It sounds as though your schedule is not very puppy friendly.

Young puppies, as she obviously would have been when you got her, are not physically able to hold it all day or all night. You gave her no choice but to eliminate in her kennel. When you force a dog to do this, you are essentially disconnecting their natural desire to keep their sleeping area clean. You have taught her that it is expected for her to eliminate in her kennel, so why would you be surprised when she does so?

Truthfully, I feel you are likely going to have to start at square one with her training -- And that involves FREQUENT trips outside to potty. Praise, praise, praise for going outside. No punishment for going in her kennel, because that's what you taught her to do. And absolutely do NOT give a 5 month old puppy free roam of the house at night. For goodness sake, what do you expect?

I suggest getting a better alarm clock. And next time you get a dog, consider rescuing a young adult so that you can avoid the "nuisance" of raising a puppy properly.

I'm curious what you are feeding your puppy. Some of the "trash" sold at the grocery store or supercenter is horrible on their little digestive systems. Also, I would probably make another trip back to the vet. My dog was a "pound puppy" and had just about every disease and worm problem possible.

I'm gonna go with the flow on this one. I would also question the size of the crate, and cut it to a size where the pup is comfortable, but cannot defecate on one side and move to the other. You absolutely must stop giving her the run of the house at night. Even once housebroken, those spots she soiled will still beckon her to go there again. Clean those well and make them inaccessible for a long time (gate those rooms off; move furniture to cover them up or place rugs over them.) I also agree to go back to square one in training...frequent trips outside and crating when you can't watch her. Place the crate next to your bed...she'll wake you up if she has to go in the middle of the night...better than any alarm clock. You also might need to evaluate the times you are feeding her and when she needs to eliminate that feeding. The friend stopping over in the afternoon is also a good idea. The good news is she can be re-trained and by doing it correctly, you will find that puppy housebreaking goes quicker than you imagined.

Archived