BC Boards

Advantix versus Frontline

Recently, there has been some discussion with respect to Advantix K9 versus Frontline. As a Frontline user, I decided to ask my vet about the comparative advantages and disadvantages of each. During Missy's weekly visit yesterday (you may remember that Missy is battling cancer, and thus is going through weekly evaluations), DW posed the question to the vet. The vet indicated that she had considered switching her clients to Advantix, and had even placed an order for the product. The salesman, however, cautioned her that she needed to ensure that if a cat was in the house, the cat could not lick the dog for a prescribed period after application; the solution is so toxic to cats that it was probable that the cat could not be brought to the vet in time for treatment after ingestion. When the vet asked about impact on other dogs and small children, the salesman's answer was, "It shouldn't be a problem." The vet decided that the risk was too great, and cancelled the order; she continues to carry Frontline for her customers. I would note, however, that she has many clients who have both cats and dogs.

To provide an impartial evaluation, I would note the following information from Advantix: Advantix. Other sites cite only toxic conditions related to cats, but not with respect to other dogs or humans, so this should be taken into consideration.

Bustopher,

My own vet has both cats and dogs and she's the one who convinced me to switch to Advantix when I was having such problems with Frontline no longer working for me. Yes she cautioned that the Advantix should be allowed to dry before a cat got near the dog, but in my household with 9 dogs and 6 cats, I haven't killed anyone yet!

Unfortunately, anecdotal evidence like yours and mine isn't real proof one way or the other. I think the best thing people can do is educate themselves on the risks and benefits and then make an informed decision based on that. And that reminds me that my dogs are due for their Advantix (the cats get Advantage).

J.

The difference between Advantix and Frontline for me is that Advantix works and Frontline doesn't. Ticks are a major problem around here, and getting worse. I don't like my cat very much anyway. Just kidding. Well, actually, I don't like her, but I don't want her to die from ingesting Advantix either. The chances of her licking a dog are about the same as my being elected president of the United States: first off, she'd have to want to, and then she'd have to actually accomplish it.

We use advantix on our dogs and although the cats don't snuggle with the dogs it's never been an issue... now my dogs do chew on each other and Pepper especially loves to lick all things chemically smelling (one day I'll share my toilet bowl cleaner episode with y'all) and I've never had a problem there either...

I have a pet theory that the ticks around here (NE Massachusetts) have become immune to Frontline. My sister uses it, and she's always pulling ticks off her dog. I use Advantix, walk daily in thick underbrush, and I don't find ticks at all. FWIW, Frontline DID work for me for about 4 months, before it seemed to become useless.

Also FWIW, I've found (anecdotal evidence, again!) that Advantix lasts much longer than a month. Mine seems to work at minimum six weeks. If I find a crawling tick on the dog, I dose again... but so far this summer, I think I've given only 3 doses since March 14 (first warm day). For us, May and early June, then again in the fall are the worst times, so I pay a lot more attention then.

Mary

And here I thought I was the only one that Frontline quit working for! I honestly think you can breed an immune flea after some time. I have to shake it up! Down here in Florida it is very sandy and fleas can be hell! I switch between Advantix and Advantage about every 3 months. If I don't switch, I notice us getting into trouble! The fleas go from "ooo found a flea" to "Holy crap FLEAS!" almost over night.

Both our dogs are on Frontline and it seems to work fine. I have heard of hunters here using it to keep the seed ticks and chiggers off of them during the early part of the season. I wouldn't recommend it though.

I think I will have my wife switch them over to the Advantix though. Then I am going to bathe both dogs in tuna fish. It might be a little smelly around here for a while but that should get rid of our household cat problem. :rolleyes: