BC Boards

New dog with severe car sickness

tokeefe2

FWIW, my dogs, three of them, that get car sick are also reluctant to get in the car. I don't think the reluctance is linked to trauma per se, but rather that they associate the car with the crappy feeling of being car sick. Controlling the car sickness means that car rides will become a more pleasant experience. Just a different point of view....

J.

In addition to the excellent advice about sloooooow desensitization, I'd add to not go all 'oh, you poor baby' when she gets sick or scared. Stay neutral.

The more you can be matter-of-fact, oh, ho-hum, no big deal, the less she will worry. Most dogs pick up on their humans' emotional state - a lot of border collies are very, very sensitive to it. And it helps ME to worry less, if I respond in that matter-of-fact manner.

And until you know a lot more about how she responds emotionally, go low-key on the successes, too. Some dogs get all worried when they get too much positive attention. A mild, 'good girl' rather than throwing a party while you are de-sensitizing might be better for her and allow her to progress faster.

Good luck!

Ruth and Gibbs

When I got Meg 8 years ago at 4 months of age she would get terribly car sick. She would throw up, drool, shake. What it took for her was time, making the car a happy place, taking her places that meant fun. She eventually grew out of it, and now if there is an open door she is the first one in, especially when packing for trials.

Samantha

Have you tried a different vehicle? Our previous dog absolutely hated our van. He didn't throw up but would shake and drool and just be over the top panicked, then climb to the very rear behind the last seat and get himself wedged in with the luggage. Different dog with our SUV. All we could think of is the tires on the van did make a high pitched whine sort of noise on the highway, not loud enough to bother us but we guess more than enough for him, he didn't even like to walk past it in the garage.

Well, at the moment all I have to try her with instead of the truck is a bigger, rougher riding truck. I may see if my friend will let her try a ride in his car if she'll go to it, but right now I'm taking it slow with her...

Abbie and I are still working on the car sickness, which I know will take time, but I wanted to update folks on her eating at home and keeping it down. She simply does not want soft foods, but she is eating kibble mixed with baby food (per my Vets recommendation) and keeping it down well the last few days. She is having regular BMs now as well.

I think she is adjusting well to her new home also, though she remains a bit shy with my Lab, but she wants to be held and she's eager to play with toys now. Slowly, I think we're making progress for only being three weeks in.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. We're sitting in the truck now with it running and no longer shying of it, nor is she getting violent reactions to just going near the truck. We're still taking it slow though...

She's eating great now btw. She just doesn't want soft foods, though she'll eat more chunky meat foods readily and devoures her kibble and the occasional treat.

She's really fit in here now, and is a great little girl. Even my Lab loves her.

So happy to hear this. You are doing the right thing, and it is paying off. Just keep taking it very slowly in tiny steps, and it is very likely that you will be able to take care of this problem completely.

The dogs that I have worked with in this manner never had a relapse of their fear of cars or of their carsickness. (Except one time, on a very windy mountain road that even made me feel car sick, so that doesn't count.)

• 2 months later...

So, I wanted to update folks a bit again. Abbie is really eating well now, she likes Lamb Pate and eats plenty of kibble as well as some chunk meats. She is also riding consistently now with no signs of carsickness, and actually seems to enjoy the ride! She rides with my lab, and rides alone too, as long as she has her bed in the truck to lay on.

She fits in perfectly here now, takes part in all training and play sessions and is outgoing and engages strange people and strange dogs alike. She is even learning basic commands well.

This dog is turning out to be a very sweet and affectionate lil' girl, with much yet to offer. I'm now concidering her as a companion when the Lab and I visit hospitals and nursing homes (Sadie and I do this once a month, and she is certified). I haven't brought her into the program yet, but am teaching her the basics of interaction.

There's still room for improvement, but it's a lot of progress from just a few months ago.