BC Boards

Kelso update: :)

I, too, am SOOO proud of Kelso. He is being such a good boy.

His foster mom really prepared him for everything. She has done an amazing job!

As we walk from the yard back to the house door, Kelso even sits and waits at the door until I tell him it is ok to go back inside (and he has only been with me since Saturday!). He is such a cutie!

Annmarie

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know that pictures and videos speak louder than words.

See the perfect example of this below (links to videos).

Starring Kelso, the wonder doggie.... :D

Day 2.5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdwWk5CqKkc

Day 3.5 (my personal favorite because he licked and nudged me for more petting!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drb3jXldpf4

Peace to all...

Annmarie

As I watched the video for the 3rd time, I noticed something that I should correct. I should not pet Kelso on his head just yet (and maybe never). I knew that already (and seem to easily forget!)but watching the video really reminded me of it. He is not too fond of head petting. He is much more comfortable with me petting his belly and chest area. I learn new things each day.... :)

Holly cow...allgeries??? heck it's a river of happy tears over here. Way to go Annmarie and Kelso.

Might I add that petting on the head today might not be the best thing but never say never. My little rescue that was similar to Kelso who is about 13 now could care less what or where I pet her. As long as I pet her we're good. So enjoy and learn but don't worry bout mistakes. Love mistakes don't count!

Thanks for sharing!

Holly cow...allgeries??? heck it's a river of happy tears over here. Way to go Annmarie and Kelso.

Might I add that petting on the head today might not be the best thing but never say never. My little rescue that was similar to Kelso who is about 13 now could care less what or where I pet her. As long as I pet her we're good. So enjoy and learn but don't worry bout mistakes. Love mistakes don't count!

Thanks for sharing!

Love St. Louis area. I was on a life journey recently. I moved from MO to AR then to CO. Got tired of being away from my extended family and came home a few years ago. I am so happy to be home!

Hope you enjoy Kelso for many years. Thanks so much for posting his updates with you. He must be one of the most loved dogs I've ever read about!

DOing a great job Annmarie, really you are!

Yes is sure is a small world!

!!! Will you just look at that!

He is coming to her, playing with her, even giving her a little kiss the way he used to do with me when he wanted a little more petting. In short......he has transferred his affection and attachment to his new Person. I could not be more proud. I feel about as good as I would feel if I raised a kid and he won the Nobel Prize. That's my boy!

...............uh, well, her boy now, but you know what I mean.

I no longer feel any sadness at the loss of Kelso. Whenever I think of him, instead of missing him, I grin ear to ear and feel great. Thank you for being such special people, Annmarie and Ramin. You and Kelso make my heart sing.

.....And my new foster dog arrives today!!

:D

D'Elle

Hello everyone!

Update on Kelso.....

He is doing very well. In the morning, when he first sees me get up, he begins to bounce around with his tail wagging and can't wait for his morning fetch session. He hangs out with us in the living room while we watch a movie and he follows me around the house. He is my baby boy! The progression has been a bit slower with my husband (one step forward and two steps back) but he's getting there. Kelso likes for him to gently brush his chest and sides while watching a movie. He takes food from him now as well (yay!). I have been trying to read everything I can about working with puppy mill survivors. Most things I am rather familiar with (from experience with my former rescue) but it is great to keep reading and learning. If anyone has any suggestions for books, articles, etc...about working with puppy mill dogs that would be great. I found some nice "confidence building" exercises to try with Kelso. I also ordered a few books to read. All in all, he is doing much better than I expected in just under 2 weeks. He is truly my baby boy! We love him very much!

Best wishes to all of you and your lovely doggies.... :)

Annmarie & Kelso

So pleased to hear from you, Annmarie, and hear about Kelso's progress as a member of your family!

He has been a great favorite of many here and largely because D'Elle has let us follow along with his progress under her care. It's very special to be able to continue following his story and enjoying the happy journey he is on.

Thank you, and very best wishes to you, your husband, and Kelso!

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has any suggestions for books, articles, etc...about working with puppy mill dogs that would be great. I found some nice "confidence building" exercises to try with Kelso. I also ordered a few books to read. All in all, he is doing much better than I expected in just under 2 weeks. He is truly my baby boy! We love him very much!

Hi Annmarie!

Loving all the updates. I have loved reading about Kelso, especially because I had adopted a shelter dog from a similar circumstance a few months after Kelso was adopted. I referenced much of Kelso's story to help us along with our dog. I can share with you our experiences with our dog.

About 8 months after adopting my dog, I enrolled him in an obedience class that was low-stress and that would allow me to work with him at his own pace. That was in April. In June, he was doing 1/2 Agility class and 1/2 Obedience. By August, he was in a full-hour agility class, and then the flood gates opened! My dog, who did not know how to play with people, or dogs, just suddenly blossomed. The confidence and bonding he gained from his training has been so gratifying to witness. He can now play ball; he plays with the other dogs; and each agility exercise he masters continues to amaze us all. A month ago it was the teeter (a wobble board terrified him at first) to last week when (after practicing on a very, very low dog walk) he confidently strode up that dog walk and across it like he'd been doing it all his life. Gave me heart-failure (we usually by-passed the dog walk but this day, he took to it without my saying a word), and the class was over-joyed for him. We have found wonder in such small things (like he now licks our hand when he wants more petting...something he would never do before.) He is becoming -- a dog.

Also, we knew when we took him that he had a fear of men. My husband and son had a lot of patience and that has come around, also. At one point, I put my husband in charge of feeding him, and that helped the situation.

Kelso is probably further along than our dog was, since D'Elle has brought him so far. The fact that Kelso's transition has been so smooth is a tribute to D'Elle and her patience and faith in this dog. So I'm sure it won't be long that it will suddenly seem like he has been with you forever. Everyone is different, but for us, training was key to our dog's bonding and learning, and of course, his confidence.

Continue to update us....we all share in your joy. :)

Hello Beachdogz (and everyone else too!),

It sounds like you are doing a fantastic job with your doggie, Beachdogz.

What a lucky pup to have found you! It's great to hear about such success.

Kelso is doing really well around me. He is, however, still very cautious with my husband.

My husband is doing well with it though....he is very patient and he feeds him & plays with him each day.

The problem is that he works so much and doesn't get as much time with Kelso as I do.

Kelso DOES take advantage of him though as he WILL play ball/tug/chase with him as often as he is able to do so. However, once done with playtime, Kelso runs away from him and comes to me in order to be "rescued" from my husband. It will be a happy day when Kelso actually feels safe enough to approach my husband on his own. He did wag his tail at my husband the other day....and we both almost cried.

This morning, Kelso was bouncing around the house and his tail was wagging so hard that it was making a loud thumping noise on the cabinets! He was begging me to play with him. Left up to him, Kelso would play all day long!

He also barked four REAL dog barks when my husband came home rather late from work the other evening.

He heard him in the garage and began to bark (he is getting to be a brave boy!). I was proud of him. He finally saw that it was my husband and begged him to play ball (from a distance though). :)

I took him for a walk on a nature preserve this past weekend. He did so well. I had him on a long lead and a double secured harness.....and he just followed my every move. It is so cute....he looks up at me as if to say, "Is this what you want me to do?" He was certainly nervous at first but then we mixed the hike with playing ball and I think he enjoyed himself. He is such a cutie.

We are thoroughly enjoying Kelso's little antics around the house and we adore him.

And our cat just follows him around like a big brother. So far Kelso mostly just ignores her but I think he likes to have her around though. :)

We SOOOO much appreciate everything that D'Elle has done to prepare Kelso for his adoption.

We are so grateful to her for not giving up on Kelso. He is so worth it!

I will keep you posted on his progression with my husband.

I hope to soon report that Kelso approached him on his own. :)

Peace to all....

Annmarie (and Kelso too)

post-13958-021779700 1351120884_thumb.jpg

There's that handsome (and brave and happy and playful and cautious) boy!

Sounds wonderful! I never thought anyone would make me feel quite so good about Kelso moving on but I think he's just where he needs to be - and I thank D'Elle for preparing him for this time, and you for being so good for him!

Very best wishes! (I think I have used my quota of "!")

A thought about your hubby

Kelso was rescued by a woman so he's going to naturally be more comfortable with women. Plus Kelso came from a place that was run by a man. No telling what that man did to Kelso.

Looking at how far Kelso has come, I don't worry a bit about Kelso coming along with your hubby. Give him time and keep up the wonderful work. I think your hubs is doing just right by letting Kelso approach him instead of the other way around.

It took so long for Kelso to come out of his shell and now he makes leaps and bounds quickly. I'm betting in a few months he will be just as comfy with your mate as he is with you.

Thanks for the updates!

I second what Kristen says above. Kelso will come around. He was not exposed to very many men during the time that he was with me. I think part of the reason he adjusted to being with you so quickly, Annmarie, is that you and I have similar body build and hair. You and Ramin are doing all the right things, especially having patience with Kelso. And thank you for loving and appreciating who Kelso is! It is wonderful to me to read the things you write about him....always puts a big smile on my face.

Give that beautiful boy a kiss from me!

D'Elle