BC Boards

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Annmarie!!!! Thank you for being willing to keep us all updated on the progress of this amazing journey. Small victories of happiness should be celebrated more in this world. Good luck on your new addition to the family, I am sure it will be mutually rewarding.

Annmarie - I am just so excited to hear from you and looking forward to keeping in touch with "The Continuing Saga of Kelso". It is very heart-warming and very exciting to hear that you are going to be Kelso's next step in life because if ever a dog deserved a great "rest of his life", he certainly does.

And D'Elle has been a hero for all her hard work getting him ready for this big new step.

Must be some pollen season because I'm having allergies it seems, too.

I imagine that Kelso is the most beloved dog in this entire board. So many people here have such a strong hope for his future and are so thankful for the special people that have been put in his path. Allergies are really bad this evening in Florida.

My name is Annmarie and my husband are I are Kelso's new people. :)

As you probably know already, the Jefferson dogs were very special. Despite being pulled from the most appalling conditions, they maintained an almost regal disposition. There were no signs of anger or bitterness. Some, like Kelso, needed more time to adjust; others (like my Taff half ear) made that journey relatively faster. I know that everyone who had the privilege of working with them came away enrichened. Have patience. For Kelso it's a long journey from Jefferson to your home. Help him continue to grow. Enjoy the journey with him. Post many updates (and photos!).

Welcome to the BC Boards, Annmarie!

I am delighted that you want to join us here and continue to share Kelso's journey with all of us. As time goes on, I feel more and more sure of the love Kelso will have with you. Thanks for coming along and being just the right person.

(pssst.. to the Board Folks...She even mailed me a little towel from her house so that Kelso could get used to the smell of his new home). I have been showing him the towel, having him smell it, and explaining the whole thing to him daily. I don't pretend to have a clue if any of it gets through to him and don't care, 'cause I figure it cannot hurt.

Thank all of you for being such a loyal cheering squad for Kelso. I know he would be very touched if he could understand how many people care about him. I sure am. :)

D'Elle

You've helped the smell to be familiar and be associated with his current home, where he feels safe and secure. So, while he may not understand the talking, I'm sure he's getting at least some of the message.

Today is the day that Kelso and I have been working toward for a year and a half. Today Kelso went home!

I am so amazed and grateful that two such wonderful and exceptional people came along and want Kelso to join their lives. They are a breath of fresh air, and I have complete confidence that they will do well with Kelso, and he with them. Just in the past week Kelso has been taking new steps towards accepting strangers, and I feel as if he is truly ready to be with the challenge of transitioning to a new home. I know that Annmarie will keep us informed.

I have loved keeping this thread going. Thank you for reading it. As I handed the leash over to Annmarie today, so also it is now time for me to hand this thread over to her, as she is now Kelso's Person. I know she will receive all the support that you all have shown to me, and I want to thank you again for caring about Kelso. He deserves it!

Let's have three cheers for Kelso!!! :wub::D:D

D'Elle

Hello fellow animal lovers!

My name is Annmarie and my husband are I are Kelso's new people. :)

Well, I read to this point surprisingly allergy-free, and then this one sentence just did me in. Allergy-city the rest of the way!!

Congratulations and welcome Annmarie and husband! I think everyone is crying tears of joy because Kelso has become everyone's dog in a way, and we are so, so happy that he has found the right forever home.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Hello everyone,

Kelso is at home with us now! We are so happy to have him join our family.

He is doing very well. We played tug this morning and he chased his squeaky around a bit. He does LOVE his squeak toys! He's already doing better than I expected. He met Navi, our cat, and I think they really like each other. She even slept in the same room with all of us last night. (She normally sleeps in the bed with us but I wasn't sure if, right in the beginning, she would come in the room with Kelso there....but she did!). I think it is going to be a great match! Kelso had a kitty friend before and I think they are going to be wonderful together. Again, we are so thrilled to have Kelso be a part of our family!

I'll attach some photos very soon.

Peace to all,

Annmarie (and Kelso too!)

Update on Kelso:

What is happening is so amazing. I received a video in my email last night that showed Kelso playing with the squeaky toy with his new people! He looked cautious, but not at all frightened, and he did not shy away from her hand when she reached out to him to take the squeaky toy and throw it for him to go fetch. He has not shut down at all!

She also reports to me that he has started following her around just a little bit! I had a gut feeling that Kelso is ready to move on, but of course you never know if you are right or not until it happens. Guess I was right! He is already starting to adapt, on only the first full day that he is with them.

I feel such respect and admiration for Kelso. Instead of being depressed or traumatized by the fact that the only safe person and home he has known is gone, he has apparently immediately looked to his new Person for guidance and safety. This is the very best I could have hoped for, for Kelso, but I did not think it would go so well. I am filled with joy. :D:D