BC Boards

Don't you think someone will want him, even if they have to do a little work at first? I know it won't be your average dog adopter. But there might be someone out there for whom Kelso would be just the right dog.

:)

D'Elle

Yes, I do think there is someone perfect for him out there.

*sigh* I ♥ this thread.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lorimac, I live near Tucson.

Thank you to those who have said encouraging things about finding the right person for Kelso. The more I think about it, the more I think that there is someone out there who would be good for him, and he for them. He's been good for me, I can say that much. I have learned so much, and am so grateful to him for that. :)

D'Elle

I hope someone will archive or pin this thread. Last Sunday, I took in a Parson Russell Terrier from a puppymill/ hoarding case. I went and looked at your very first post and he is just like you described Kelso back then. So I'm going back and reading this entire thread from the beginning. So you see, the work you did with Kelso will help others, even a little 10 lbs. scared furry kid named Brady from across the country. :)

Jedismom, Thank you for your post. I am very happy indeed if my experience with Kelso can be of use or assistance to anyone else.

I would love to think that Kelso's journey could help other dogs who have gone through the kind of hell that he did. I would also love it if my writing about it here encouraged someone else to take in a foster dog, whether a very damaged dog or just a nice easy dog who doesn't have a home.

Fostering dogs is the most rewarding work that I have done. If you have ever thought about it, do it. Give it a try. Sure, you will sometimes get attached and have to hold back tears when you give the dog up. Do it anyway. Sure your life may get disrupted, your rug chewed, your sleep disturbed. Do it anyway. You may not even like all the dogs you foster. Do it anyway. It is worth it.

And I think you will feel the way I do: enormously grateful for all that you have learned and received from the dogs. It always feels to me that I have received more than I have given with each foster dog that comes through my life, and so the only way to pay it forward is to take another foster dog. It is my most sincere wish that other dogs and people will benefit from my writing Kelso's story here.

:D

D'Elle

• 4 weeks later...

The decision has been made: Kelso is going up for adoption on the ABCR website. I have been working on the Bio for over a week, trying to make it just right. I need to tell the truth, yet somehow convey his appeal at the same time. So far only I have seen the Kelso that I know. Only I have had the privilege of seeing his quirky playfulness, his sweet loving affection. I know how worth it he is, but it may be hard for potential adopters to see that.

Only way to find out is to give it a try. Once I have a chance to get some good recent photos of him, I will send it in and we shall see if there is anyone interested.

(And then, I guess, I will find out how I really feel about letting him go....)

D'Elle

Well, it's official: Kelso is up for adoption.

You can check out his listing here if you want to: Kelso's Bio

As time goes on, I have some to realize that the best thing for Kelso in the long term would be to be adopted to the right person. I will of course be picky about where he goes, but I think that the right person will come along eventually. One thing I believe is that the person who finds it in their heart to welcome Kelso into their home will never regret it. He's such a sweet and gentle spirit and so easy to love. Let's all wish him good luck in the search for his Forever home.

D'Elle

It's a bittersweet moment - sweet that Kelso has gotten to the stage that he is ready to move on, and a little bitter to know that he will have to move on, if you know what I'm saying.

You have done a wonderful job, and he deserves the very best - God bless you both!

PS - He looks handsome and happy in his photos!

Thank you, Sue......

Yes, Kelso is a happy dog these days, and I think he loves his life. A very far cry from the dog who arrived at my home a little over a year ago. I don't really know if he is ready to move on or not, but I am of the firm belief that if the right person comes along, he will be ready....for that person. Not meaning to say that person won't have to gain his trust, but if it is the right match, it will work. In any case, he will stay here until that person comes along and wants him; who knows how long or short a time that will be.

D'Elle

Just read Kelso's bio. I hope you will be pleasently suprised when someone steps up to be his new life partner.

I know the joy a dog like this can bring. She is currently laying on my her couch snoozing the day away.

This morning she wandered out to spend the morning with us while we worked sheep. She was warm and friendly to everyone here. You'd never know this was a dog that took 3 months to come out of her hidey hole closet when I first got her.

Go Kelso! Here begins your new wonderful life!

• 3 weeks later...

I *wish* you all could have seen Kelso this morning.

He is always sooo excited each and every single morning when I get out of bed to let the dogs go outside. He's like a puppy, squealing and dancing. This morning I watched them out the kitchen window, which I usually do, and was struck at how Kelso was running around the back yard. You may remember that he couldn't run properly at all for the longest time....kind of hopped stiff-legged instead. He runs so much more fluidly now, and can even go into a dog-stretch almost as far down as a normal dog does.

But this morning it was so nicely cool before the sun came up (it is supposed to be 107 today), and Kelso was leap-hopping around the yard with such unbridled glee and pure joy it was amazing. He just looked **so happy**!!

14 months ago this dog had never known joy in his life; did not know it existed. It just struck me all over again how amazing these creatures are, to be able to go from being essentially a concentration camp survivor to pure joy of life in such a short time. He is an inspiration. Human beings should strive to be more like dogs. Bad things happen, but we can find joy in a moment......if we can live in the moment. :)

D'Elle

Kelso's next adventure: training class!

A wonderful trainer, personal friend and fellow BC person here in town has offered to let Kelso take her basic manners class for free because of his circumstances. I hesitated the last time she offered this, as it is over an hour's drive from my house, but this time I said yes and signed up.

I think it will be very good for him and am looking forward to it. Classes begin next Saturday. I will keep you all informed!

There has been one person interested in adopting Kelso already. Although it is not the right situation for him at this time, it does tell me that some people will be interested in him in spite of his various eccentricities. I can't wait to see how much he learns being in a class. Best part of all is that it is a class strictly for herding dogs, mostly BCs and Aussies.

Wish us luck!

D'Elle and Kelso

• 4 weeks later...

This post is titled "Kelso Goes To School"!

Although I had had offers of free training classes for Kelso in the past, I did not think that he was ready, and I was reluctant to make the long drive and spend the money on gas to get him there. But recently a friend made the offer again to let Kelso come to her Basic Manners class for free, and I couldn't say no again. Gas has gone down a bit, and Kelso is ready.

It was a four week class. The first class it was hard to get him off his safe mat in the corner, but he could be coaxed out for a little bit of walking around, and he let a stranger pet him and made eye contact. Second week, when it occurred to me to take a squeaky toy with me, he was up and walking around, and he took food from a stranger (while on his safe mat in the corner). By the fourth week he was still reluctant, but willing to get up and go around the room with me, do a recall in the middle of the room, and practice some loose-leash walking and sit and down. He even did a down-stay and recall very nicely, in the midst of other people and dogs.

Most encouraging of all, when my friend the trainer brought out some starter agility equipment and had us try the obstacles out with our dogs, he was able to do more than one of them AND to accept a treat from me while in the midst of other people and dogs. He wasn't happy about it, but simply the fact that he did not shut down was cause for celebration. I was especially delighted that he would take a treat from me under those circumstances, because that's the first thing that goes when he starts to shut down.

The good news: my friend is holding more classes starting next weekend and has invited Kelso and me to continue to come. And while it is still over an hour's drive to get there, there is good news about the trip as well. Kelso has stopped throwing up in the car. He drools copiously, but has not thrown up since the second class. Not having to clean up dog barf (twice) makes the drive there and back considerably more pleasant! :lol:

Here are a couple of shots of Kelso on the last day of class.

Kelsoinclass2.jpg

Kelsoinclass1.jpg

The four week class is over. But my friend asked me if I would like to continue to come, and when I said yes she invited me to come to her 8 week manners class. So Kelso gets the chance to continue with school, which makes me happy for him.

He has made real progress. Last Saturday he accepted treats from me throughout the whole class time, from start to finish, and even took treats from another complete stranger.

After class we went to PetSmart for his first outing there. There was a rescue dog there I wanted to meet, so we spent about an hour in the store, which was longer than I would have spent otherwise, and Kelso did great. Each time that he seemed a little stressed, I would take him into a quiet back corner and sit on the floor with him. I did not want to take him out of the store as soon as he showed anxiety because I want to show him that he can overcome his fear. I was worried that this could be the wrong thing to do, but figured that I could always take him out of the place straight away if he seemed too stressed. But my strategy worked. Although by the time we left he was exhausted, he was less afraid than he was when we arrived, and I think it went well enough that I plan to repeat the experience. A friend was with me, and she held Kelso's leash while I met the other dog and spent a little time with him. She said when I first walked off, Kelso tried to follow, but soon settled down with her and just lay on the floor calmly. I am proud of him!

• 2 weeks later...

Kelso is making so much progress that I wanted to do an update.

We are continuing in the training classes, although we do not always do the exact exercise that is being done in the class. The trainer, who is very good and who fully understands Kelso's situation, is making it so easy for us to be there, it is wonderful. I am very grateful to her. Sometimes we can do the exercise, sometimes not, but just the exposure is making a huge difference to Kelso.

The last two times we've been to class we went afterward to PetSmart. We went there for a reason each time, but I have decided to keep taking him there after class because he is managing it so well. He walks around looking timid, but not scared. He seems to feel protected by being with me, which is good. When people approach him he doesn't make eye contact with them but doesn't try to run away, either. He accepts petting from strangers.

Kelso gets into and out of the car now on his own, after waiting for his release word or invitation. He rides part of the time with his head up looking out the window. He doesn't throw up or poop in the car any more, not even when I take the curvy mountain pass road into town at speed instead of creeping along for his benefit. He takes food from strangers' hands at the class, and is willing to take treats from me all through the class. Although his favorite place to be is still in the corner, he will come out to work among the other dogs and people with just a little coaxing.

Today for the first time ever he came running into the house from the yard even though he knew that another person was in the house with me. And he took a treat from her hand. Previously, if I let him out while my friend was here he would NOT come back in again until she was gone.

These are small things, but they are giant leaps forward for Kelso. I am so proud of all the hard work he is doing! :)