BC Boards

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been trying to upload a video of Kelso and Ben playing, but cannot seem to do it here. I tried to upload the video to Photobucket so that I could put a link to the video, and that won't work either. Anyone know how I can share this video?

D'Elle

I find it particularly entertaining when animals of two different species forget about boundaries and play with each other. Of course, our cat is sure to remind Dan that he is the one to set the limits...and not the dog!

Yay! I got the video format changed, and managed to get it uploaded to Kelso's very own album on Photobucket. So, for those of you who have been wanting to see this, here it is:

Kelso and Ben playing

That is Jester, doing all the circling, and Kit comes in near the end. All three of them usually jump in for playtime with the cat. :)

D'Elle

<3 <3 <3

I have been wanting to see that Kelso play with a kitten. So funny. And the cat is like, "You other dudes - leave us alone. I'm playing with KELSO!!!"

The circling dog reminds me of my Buddy. He would NOT approve of that kind of hijinks going on in his living room.

Mary

Yesterday, I took Kelso to sheep! I never thought I would have the chance to do this, but there is a Border Collie Meetup group here, and the leader of the group organized this opportunity for group members. I joined the group just so that I could take Kelso to this event.

We went to the home of a woman who has sheep, and trains and trials border collies. It was just a little "instinct test", but I figured it would be good for Kelso. I didn't have any idea what he would do, and half expected him to shut down completely with all those strange people and dogs around, let alone sheep, but he did very well. It was obvious to everyone that he was very shy, but people came up to him all day and petted him and he managed it. He even let one person give him a belly rub!

D'Elle

I cried when I read this...it is so heartwarming. Thanks for posting. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Kelso has been experimenting with coming up to me while I am sitting and reading in my chair in the living room. I reported a while back that he had come across the room to be next to me and ask for attention.

After that huge step forward, he continued to try things. His chin on my knee. Result: petting and nice noises. One paw on my knee. Result: petting and nice noises. Two paws up on the footstool. Same result.

Last night.......the big one! Kelso came across the room and climbed, unhesitatingly, into my lap!!!!! :D

He has seen the other dogs do this, but I honestly didn't think he would ever do it.

Eleven months he has been living with me now, and he climbed up into my lap! He looked so happy and contented, and stayed there for several minutes, getting loving from me. I do believe that I have the amazing honor of being the very first person into whose lap he has climbed. How lucky am I?

:D :D

D'Elle

I can hardly tell you just how happy your latest Kelso-news made me - it just made my day! I could picture each step, and how happy he must be (along with you) to find that each step resulted in *good things* coming his way.

My daughter fostered a dog, not at all so shut down as Kelso but pretty shut down - the kind of dog that would close his eyes and look away - "They can't abuse you if they don't see you, and if you don't see them and you keep a very low profile, they can't see you." That sort of dog. Lying down was his only comfy posture. It took days before he could give a glance and a lot of cajoling to get him to move away from his "secure spot" by the door (the door where he came in and went out). It was a "big deal" when he finally managed to walk down the hallway one evening.

Lisa and I were just temporary way-stations on his path to a new future, but his new family keeps in touch and we get to see photos and updates occasionally on Facebook. He (then named Holden and now known as Finn) is a happy dog in a forever family with a doggie sister, who loves children and knows he is loved and secure. There isn't much to compete with making a positive difference in one poor creature's life.

I am so happy for both of you!

• 4 weeks later...

April 15th..........the day that Kelso came into my home.

Normally, I celebrate all the dogs' "gotcha day"s with special things, but with Kelso he's not really "gotten", because he is my foster dog. I never would have thought that I would have a foster dog for a year. Never thought when he came that he's still be here a year later.

He's such a good dog.

And he has come light years from where he was a year ago. But he is still a completely unsocialized dog.

With me at home he acts like a normal, healthy, playful, affectionate and happy dog with great enthusiasm for everything from getting up in the morning to meals, walks, getting outside, going inside, and every other thing that goes in a dog's life. When another human being is present, he is a different dog. Withdrawn, silent, unresponsive.

Once again I am debating about whether or not I should continue to be his foster home.

More and more I wonder if I should not try to send him to someone else who is able to do the socialization work that I really cannot do. My specialty is taking on terrified dogs or simply shy dogs and bringing them out of their shells. I am not so good at socialization, due to my distance from town, my own reclusive and unsocial tendencies, and my lack of extra funds to pay for the gas to take him an hour's drive away to a class.

I prefer to see a project all the way through, but my fear is that he could stay here another year and still not be socialized.

Equally, my other fear is that he will regress so significantly if moved to another home that it will take a long time for him to get back to where he is now. So hard to know what the right decision is here.

If anyone has thoughts to share with me on this, feel free.

In any case, happy anniversary, sweet Kelso!!! You know how to Be A Dog now!

D'Elle

How bout a little field trip to someone with other dogs that you trust? Just to see if he can come out of his shell quicker than you think.

You could give him a couple days or a week and if he's just miserable after that time you can bring him back home. Without trying you're not going to know. if he comes around then you could think about finding him a foster family that will help him make this next big leap of life.

Hi D'Elle

Have you done any training/obedience/agility work with him? I made the decision about a month ago to start my shelter dog in an obedience class. I had waited 7 months and was worried that even that was too soon. My dog was not as traumatized as yours, but I believe he was from a puppy mill or someplace where he was caged most if not all the time. He had no social skills with people or even other dogs. Didn't know how to play....with other dogs or people. So I really had to hunt for a class that I felt would suit him. Didn't want a circle-heeling class, or a large class. Thought that would not be good for him. Didn't want or need privates. I have 30 years of training experience, have told people over the years the benefits of training, but was still amazed when I (cautiously) took him to class...he is absolutely blossoming from it. I don't think I would have had success before now. But I felt he had bonded with me enough to pursue it. I also have patient instructors (also old training friends) who allow me to do this slowly (we're still on lead for everything while almost everyone else has gone off-lead). Started him on agility stuff here at home...at first it freaked him, but now he is starting to love it. Next month he will be doing a half-hour agility class and a half-hour obedience class. I can hardly wait.

There is another woman with a rescue in the class and last week she told me she was so discouraged that others in the class were off lead and she was not. I explained to her that she needed to stop comparing...that we are in a totally different ball-park. Those other dogs have lived with their owners and bonded with them since young puppies...and have had the benefit of daily living/training since then. We have dogs that have had an unknown history (and not always a good one) and who are just now really bonding to us....and they are doing great in their own right.

If you don't have any obedience classes locally, perhaps you can arrange to meet one or two other dog people and train together. That would mimic a class setting without having to travel or pay for a class.

Another thought for Kelso would be an exchange day with another friend...perhaps you can exchange dogs for an hour or two. Sort of like a play-date, but with a human. Then you might be able to see if he will have a hard time adapting to another foster home or not. And maybe a few of those would prepare him to go to another foster home if you decide to go that way.

No matter what you decide, please remember that Kelso would never have gotten the chance to blossom as much as he has without YOU! :)

You know I am always sending my best to you and Kelso!

Bonnie

• 3 weeks later...

A BREAKTHROUGH!!

(can you hear me cheering all the way from here to there?)

It happened thusly: I went to the home of a dog friend, someone I know through the Canine Musical Freestyle club to which I belong, for a club gathering. She knew about my frustration with trying to socialize Kelso, and had kindly suggested that I bring him with me, so I did.

The last time I had taken him to someone's place, where there were other people, he trembled violently and started drooling so copiously that I had to take him back outside. I brought a towel with me this time. ;)

My friend met him outside, and offered him a nice treat, which, as always, he would not acknowledge. He has never in the 13 months I have had him taken food from anyone but me. We went inside, and I found him a nice little rug in an out-of-the-way place, and he settled right down on it, as I knew that he would. (Not sure how I knew that, but I did). Instead of turning to face the wall, he lay with his paws crossed and watched us. As time went on, he relaxed quite a bit. No one approached him until after we'd had some food and conversation, then another friend approached him with a nice bit of food and.......drum roll........he took it from her!

Oh my. I was just radiant with glee. We were all grinning ear-to-ear. She repeated it several more times, and then the friend who had first approached him tried again, and he took it from her as well! So all in one evening he relaxed in a new place, and took food for the very first time from two people that he'd never even seen before. He also made direct eye contact with one of them, for a period of about 3 or 4 seconds, which I have never seen him do before. I think this is a breakthrough for Kelso.

I also got cued in to something that will help Kelso in the future, I think. We all know about training a dog to "go to your mat" as a chill-out, especially when in a new or strange environment. When we were leaving, I had to come back for something I had left, and Kelso went straight to that little rug again and lay down. I had to coax him to leave it. I am going to get him his own little rug, and take it with us whenever we are going anywhere. That will be Kelso's safe spot, and I bet it will help him to relax in strange environments.

I think that what another foster "mom", who also has a Jefferson dog, told me is probably accurate: Kelso will most likely never be more "socialized" than he is now. Meaning that he will never be outgoing, never be comfortable with or enjoy going into a new place, never react with normal doggy happy curiosity to strange environments and people. But he can learn ways to cope with these things so that each time is not so hard on him. That is my goal now.

I also have realized that another foster home may not be the best thing for Kelso. I hate the thought of his having to adjust to a new person, place, and dogs and then to yet another, when it is so hard for him to process new things. As I think about Kelso and his situation (which is something I do quite often), I realize that what he really needs for a permanent home is someone who leads a very quiet life, is somewhat reclusive, and who doesn't mind having a very eccentric dog. The real irony is that that describes me to a T. Sadly, I do not really want to keep Kelso for the rest of his life. But what that also means is that there can be someone else out there like me who would love to have Kelso for their dog.

It may take some time to find that person, but it is now my hope that I can. And right now I think it would be best if he stayed here until that person is found, or finds him.

The hard part is, that person would have to take my word for it about a lot of Kelso's personality, which they would not be likely to see from Kelso for the first few weeks, perhaps even months, while he adjusted. The good part is that Kelso is, and would be again once adjusted, truly such an easy dog. Never demanding, but happy to come over for petting, play, or a walk, easy to train, beautiful, gentle, kind, and very well behaved. He has been left loose in the house up to 12 hours and not once chewed, gotten into the garbage, peed or pooped in the house, or done anything else the least bit objectionable. He loves his cat. He loves to play with the other dogs. He loves to tug, and is a happy, sweet dog, even if a little weird.

Don't you think someone will want him, even if they have to do a little work at first? I know it won't be your average dog adopter. But there might be someone out there for whom Kelso would be just the right dog.

:)

D'Elle

A BREAKTHROUGH!!

(can you hear me cheering all the way from here to there?)

It happened thusly: I went to the home of a dog friend, someone I know through the Canine Musical Freestyle club to which I belong, for a club gathering. She knew about my frustration with trying to socialize Kelso, and had kindly suggested that I bring him with me, so I did.

The last time I had taken him to someone's place, where there were other people, he trembled violently and started drooling so copiously that I had to take him back outside. I brought a towel with me this time. ;)

My friend met him outside, and offered him a nice treat, which, as always, he would not acknowledge. He has never in the 13 months I have had him taken food from anyone but me. We went inside, and I found him a nice little rug in an out-of-the-way place, and he settled right down on it, as I knew that he would. (Not sure how I knew that, but I did). Instead of turning to face the wall, he lay with his paws crossed and watched us. As time went on, he relaxed quite a bit. No one approached him until after we'd had some food and conversation, then another friend approached him with a nice bit of food and.......drum roll........he took it from her!

Oh my. I was just radiant with glee. We were all grinning ear-to-ear. She repeated it several more times, and then the friend who had first approached him tried again, and he took it from her as well! So all in one evening he relaxed in a new place, and took food for the very first time from two people that he'd never even seen before. He also made direct eye contact with one of them, for a period of about 3 or 4 seconds, which I have never seen him do before. I think this is a breakthrough for Kelso.

I also got cued in to something that will help Kelso in the future, I think. We all know about training a dog to "go to your mat" as a chill-out, especially when in a new or strange environment. When we were leaving, I had to come back for something I had left, and Kelso went straight to that little rug again and lay down. I had to coax him to leave it. I am going to get him his own little rug, and take it with us whenever we are going anywhere. That will be Kelso's safe spot, and I bet it will help him to relax in strange environments.

I think that what another foster "mom", who also has a Jefferson dog, told me is probably accurate: Kelso will most likely never be more "socialized" than he is now. Meaning that he will never be outgoing, never be comfortable with or enjoy going into a new place, never react with normal doggy happy curiosity to strange environments and people. But he can learn ways to cope with these things so that each time is not so hard on him. That is my goal now.

I also have realized that another foster home may not be the best thing for Kelso. I hate the thought of his having to adjust to a new person, place, and dogs and then to yet another, when it is so hard for him to process new things. As I think about Kelso and his situation (which is something I do quite often), I realize that what he really needs for a permanent home is someone who leads a very quiet life, is somewhat reclusive, and who doesn't mind having a very eccentric dog. The real irony is that that describes me to a T. Sadly, I do not really want to keep Kelso for the rest of his life. But what that also means is that there can be someone else out there like me who would love to have Kelso for their dog.

It may take some time to find that person, but it is now my hope that I can. And right now I think it would be best if he stayed here until that person is found, or finds him.

The hard part is, that person would have to take my word for it about a lot of Kelso's personality, which they would not be likely to see from Kelso for the first few weeks, perhaps even months, while he adjusted. The good part is that Kelso is, and would be again once adjusted, truly such an easy dog. Never demanding, but happy to come over for petting, play, or a walk, easy to train, beautiful, gentle, kind, and very well behaved. He has been left loose in the house up to 12 hours and not once chewed, gotten into the garbage, peed or pooped in the house, or done anything else the least bit objectionable. He loves his cat. He loves to play with the other dogs. He loves to tug, and is a happy, sweet dog, even if a little weird.

Don't you think someone will want him, even if they have to do a little work at first? I know it won't be your average dog adopter. But there might be someone out there for whom Kelso would be just the right dog.

:)

D'Elle

Thanks for the great news about Kelso! I am so happy to hear of his latest breakthrough.

With regard to his finding a forever home who believes you about his personality: Just refer them to this thread. IMO, it is pretty good proof of where he came from and how far he has come. I believe that there is someone out there who is willing to love Kelso and help him through an adjustment period.

Jovi

I realize that what he really needs for a permanent home is someone who leads a very quiet life, is somewhat reclusive, and who doesn't mind having a very eccentric dog. The real irony is that that describes me to a T.

Describes me and my dog to a T, also! I was just telling my sister that after Buddy dies goes to the Rainbow Bridge, I almost feel like I should take in another fearful/reactive dog - because I have some experience and knowledge that would make things ever so much easier on everyone. PLUS, a quiet and calm house without a lot of comings and goings.

However... I have also been telling people that when Buddy dies goes to the Rainbow Bridge, I'm going to enjoy traveling - fly to Europe, take off for long weekends whenever I want. Being the Big Trusted Human for a reactive dog does limit one's ability to socialize and travel on a whim. It's a very meaningful relationship, but challenging sometimes. ::Sigh::

Good job on Kelso, though. It's so exciting to see the leaps. I still (after 7 years!) will suddenly find Buddy willing to do things that he would never do in the past. Ran into my brother and sister-in-law, whom he rarely sees, and he went right up to them for petting and a treat. He would never have done that three years ago, and I'm not sure when he actually became OK with random strangers, like he is now. Small, incremental steps that just reveal themselves all at once.

Mary

I have followed your progress with Kelso with great interest and applaud all of your success. Kelso sounds like an amazing dog, and you are a saint. The dog you describe sounds like a wonderful dog to share ones life with. I have four rather odd dogs, all with really funny issues ( all from rescue). Their odd duck things though, are my normal. I know to expect them, I manage them, and I laugh with them. Getting a dog to trust you that has bonding issues is one of the must rewarding tasks. I have also found, as long as you do nothing to destroy that trust and work everyday to strengthen it..... that dog ,in their most unique way, will be that most incredible dog ever. There is a good home out there for this dog. Someone will love this dog for all it is worth and be very grateful for all the good work you have put in. Good luck and keep up the good work. Thank you for sharing.

Cody and Duchess.... Thank you for such kind words, but I must protest: I am *no* saint! Although Kelso has been a lot of work, it really has not been hard work. Kelso has been easy to love. And it is Kelso who has done all the hard work.

I did not know how challenging it would be when I agreed to take him as a foster, but I have had wonderful support from folks on this thread, from other Texas rescue BC foster folks, and from my friends. And each stage along the way has had exciting rewards. Many other people have been fostering badly damaged dogs from the same place, and so many other bad situations as well (like the Vicks dogs).

I wouldn't want anyone to think that it takes a "saint" to help a severely shut-down dog. I am just an ordinary person who loves dogs a lot. Anyone else could have done what I have done, and could help another dog. All it really takes is being willing to do it. :)

D'Elle