BC Boards

My dog ignores me

Beckett is almost 6 months old now, and ignores me about half the time. I think part of the problem is that I'm the primary person who has taken care of him, taught him the basics, and keeps track of him whenever we're outdoors. I've been doing a lot of yard work this year (we finally had rain!), and he hangs out with the cat and me whenever we're outside. I have to constantly be aware of where he is and what he's doing because of our proximity to the road. We don't have much traffic, but out here farmers driver about 55 on the gravel. We've never, ever allowed our dogs to go anywhere near the road. I think Becket has gotten sick of having me call him back...treats don't matter much to him, and I'm sure he gets bored just being with me. I'll bet I have to call him back 10 times in an hour. I do it positively, and always pet and love on him (and sometimes treat him) when he comes to me. Usually I can see him glance at me when I call, and he'll wander my way, but I can tell he's tired of hearing it. He'll come to me and take his petting or treat without even a glance at me. We do spend time doing fun stuff for a couple of hours in the morning....go to the park, work with the horses, play ball, etc....but I have other things I have to do and feel bad about leaving him in the outdoor pen. He has to sometimes, like when I mow, but otherwise he's with me.

I also have trouble with him CONSTANTLY mauling the cat. They became great friends when he was a pup, and still are, but now he's bigger and overpowers her if she protests that she wants to be left alone. She starts it with him and they play, but before long he's either holding her down with a foreleg, or literally sitting on her until she gets really hacked. I make them stop and cool it when it gets to this point. I've also caught him chasing her (she runs up and grabs him and then runs) and as she runs up a tree he jumps up and grabs her, This is when the Voice of Doom is used and he has to chill out. The poor cat will get so tired of him that she jumps up on my lap in order to get away from him, or stays under the car.

We've had border collies and BC crosses before, but this is the first time we've had a pup with no older dog around to help out. It drives me nuts sometimes, but the worst part is that Beckett is in Heaven with anyone else, but isn't nearly as joyful about being with me. It's just like some kids..."yeah, whatever mom"...vs. "all RIGHT!" with someone else. I try to make sure I don't talk too much to him (not chattering, like some people do), keep it as positive as possible, and treat him, but it's really annoying when my husband, who never tells him no and just loves on him, gets a Disneyland welcome and undivided attention, while I get a wagging tail, a body leaned up against my leg, and a big smile at first, but then totally ignored when anyone else is around. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a stage they go through?

Perhaps if you could find some toys that require interaction like a tug of war toy, fetching a ball and bringing it back, ect.

Xena is more likely to occasionally ignore me when I have her outside on a trolley line, but if I go to walk away when she is ignoring me then she comes running and barking for attention :)

Inside the house I can get her attention much more easily.

Perhaps at 6 months the bonding process is still a work in progress, maybe some other forum members might be more knowledgeable about that though.

Start working with his mind. Teach him stuff - tricks, helpful stuff to do around the house, agility basics, etc. Maybe he's bored because all you do is call him back to you. Take 5 or 10 minutes a couple times a day and work on teaching him new behaviors. Do a search for tricks on this board, or on dog tricks or even border collie tricks on youtube, and you'll come up with a ton of suggestions.

Beckett might be excited just for the novelty of other people. Do new things with him, and slowly expect more from him. He might learn tricks very quickly, so be prepared to keep 'em coming.

As far as the cat goes, step in before the cat is being sat on. The cat could get hurt, Becket could get a claw or two to the eye, stop it earlier.

Good luck!

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

A question I have to ask ... Is it possible to put up a fence along the road? Calling him back from the road upmty times a day is definitely sort of deadening to a busy younster, since he may not see any real point to it. Sort of like dealing with an 8 year old kid! ;)

6 months is a very challenging phase for any pup and they do require patience and creativity. I like Ruth's idea of training that engages his mind, more.

And as for the cat, can you create "safe areas" or safe rooms using baby gates, where the cat can go in the house but Beckett can't reach him? If the cat is instigating some of the play, that makes it hard to correct, so reserving a couple rooms that the cat can do into, but the dog cannot, would be a help.

But if Beckett is just being a pest, now, to a cat who is too kindly to really protest, then some sterner measures may be called for. Don't wait for the cat to protest, just head him off at the past - use the Voice Of Doom sooner, maybe. This is a challenging age to deal with!

Per the other, I have to say that my 5 year old dog Nick, in my icon, STILL fusses over other people way more than he ever does me. He doesn't even like being hugged and heavens forbid I fawn over him in public. His idea of enjoying my company is to nap at my feet. (Where he is now.) :)

Wishing you luck with that busy boy. And do think about that fence thing. If he's wanting to stray near the road now, what might he do when he's 2 years old?
Respectfully,

Gloria

I agree with Gloria here - both on the why drive yourself crazy and become a "nag" to your pup, as well as the idea that most pups regress in obedience and begin testing limits at about that age - its adolescence!

If you can't put up a fence, I would stop what you are doing now as it is likely eroding your recall. When training a recall, you aren't supposed to call the dog for many non-fun things, the ratio should be to call them way more for FUN so they associate coming to you with good things. You are doing this in part with the petting and love when he returns, but if he keeps leaving and is no longer always coming back, my guess is that it isn't that fun to come back just for pets when there is a whole other part of the yard and road to explore. So right now, the desire to explore is winning, at least some of the time. Because a rock-solid recall is so important, and because it is pretty common anyway to have a really good recall at 4 months that fall apart by 6-7 months, I would keep the pup on a long line attached to your waist or something when you are outside with him. That way, he just can't go too far, so you don't have to call him back. He won't keep self reinforcing, and he'll be safe, and you can get work done. Separately, take him elsewhere and keep training recalls and other more stimulating tricks. Try to find some rewards he really likes if treats don't do it for him - a tug toy maybe, or even just a fun game between you too. My dog LOVES it when I run and jump a bit and rough his neck fur up playfully, I think it is as big of a reward as any food and Odin loves food :)

Welcome!

If you can't call him back, and don't have a fence, how about putting him on a long line or other form of tether? A loose dog that won't come back when called is a dog that is flirting with roadway danger - if not now, soon enough.

As others have pointed out, with a young dog (and this one sounds adolescent, when they all tend to test their boundaries and push the envelope) you have to make yourself more interesting and more appealing than his surroundings. Barring being able to do that, you need to be able to enforce your commands and keeping him on a long line or tether just might help. I know that's what I had to do with Dan, who was extremely independent from eight weeks of age.

When Dan began to mature (after he turned a year old) he began to be much more responsive to me but it took both work on my part at being someone he wanted to come to, and at being someone who made it less pleasant when he did not obey - and the long line helped me to be able to enforce what I said when he didn't want to and we were in the open where he could elude me.

Now he has a very nice recall that works even with big-ticket distractions. And, if he doesn't come, I make sure to walk him down so he knows he can't get away with ignoring me - but he is never, ever punished or scolded with a serious voice when I do take hold of him. He mustn't be afraid of me taking his collar, his leash, or leashing him.

Good luck!

Sorry, but your pup figures coming back to you is about as appealing as putting in a 40 hour work week without pay is for most of us :-) Higher valuer treats (chicken, cheese, hot dogs) or a really engaging toy/game of tug are probably needed, as are lots of fun recall games (running away and calling him, playing hide and seek, etc). But truly, the fact that he only needs to be called back 10 times an hour is impressive. Invest in a tether, and give him something to do whilst he is tied out (only under your supervision): give him a marrow bone or a Kong stuffed with wet food or pumpkin and frozen.

Thank you all for the help!

I do spend time with him on tricks and fun stuff...he does well and has fun...I just hate having him penned up when I'm working outside...he loves being a part of it all, but if he can't help by carting off yard tools, or if he can't harass the cat (who loves to just hang out and watch) he starts to wander. He's pretty content for ME to just be in the general area...if I get out of sight he comes looking for me....problem is, the doggone road is too close. Maybe I should leave him penned up (he can generally still see me most of the time) unless we're doing something together? I sure wish we had another dog to keep him company! We've always had two, until our last two old ones died...we then waited a year before we found Beckett. I did put Beckett on a line attached to my belt loop when he was little...he learned how we do chores and to stay near me. If I did that now I'd never get anything done... I've tried toys and his Kong...his attention span is about 2 minutes long...there's just SO much to investigate!

Believe it or not, I'm married to a fence builder...builds miles of fence every year! We're planning on building a fence out of the many steel wheels we have, but that won't be done until fall.

People tell me to use an underground fence, but I'm leery of them...any opinions on those? I can't imagine a Border Collie thinking much of one!

I would never recommend an underground fence - it does nothing to protect your dog from unwanted "intruders"; your dog can still run right through the shock and then be too afraid to come back to his home yard; and many dogs can figure out when it's working and when it's not, and act accordingly.

If you don't have a fence (and what's that about the cobbler's own children not having shoes?), why not tether him with a dog cable when you are working outside? We have one dog that loves lying around outside when we are working in the yard or garden. We put him on a long line if we are concerned about him either wandering, getting in the road (which is about 30' in front of our house), or making a "love attack" on walkers, joggers, bikers, and other innocent passersby.

We do the same with our little bitch who likes to wander out past the pasture behind the house and look for woodchucks and chipmunks and other small, furry creatures. She's deaf so we can't call her and unless we put her bell on, we can't find her in the taller grass readily. So she is tethered with a nice long line so she can lie in the shade or sun and enjoy being out with us without worries on our part.

Most dogs readily adapt to this if you give them a chance. Good luck!

Just don't like the underground fence. Other critters can come into your yard, and a revved up dog of any breed will go after something, but might not want to come back and endure a tingle/shock when he's tired of chasing.

When you call him back to you, plan to put your chore aside for a few minutes, then work with him. Call him back not just when he's wandering, but simply to give him some attention - work on his favorite trick, scratch him in his favorite spot, whatever it is. Figure out that favorite thing and how to dole it out in little chunks here and there. Does he like to play fetch? Toss the ball for him for a minute. Tug? My Gibbs thinks the sun rises and sets on his tug toy. Teach him to lay quietly where you tell him to. A favorite towel or blanket is great for this, and can be helpful if you want to travel with him. Wherever the blankie is becomes his 'cave'.

You may not get as much done as you're used to, but you're building your bond, and making him think, "Wow, I never know what's going to happen, I better hustle when she calls!"

See if you can get the fence sooner, even a temporary one.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

I second the advice to put the dog on a tether or long-line when he's in the unfenced area. It only takes seconds for a dog to be killed on a road, which means a 99% recall may not be enough.

My dog has a very solid recall, which I got by taking her to (safe) interesting places, calling, treating and immediately letting her go again. She calls off cats (and skunks!) and comes at a run. But even so, if there's traffic involved she goes on the leash. I'm a never-say-never owner when it comes to cars and dogs. I've seen too many dead "streetwise" dogs.

As for underground fences. A major scare will put a dog through one, but it may prevent them from coming back inside. And there could be an overpowering magnet like a bunny bumping along the bar-ditch that will pull them through too. And how do you know if it quits working?