BC Boards

Speedy

Root Beer

It is with great sadness that I write that we had to say goodbye to Speedy today.

He had surgery earlier in the week and developed complications today. Although further surgical options were available, the prognosis was not good and we did not want to put him through any more pain.

Speedy has been more to me than I could ever say. He was my first Border Collie and the first dog I ever had the privilege of walking into a competition ring with. He was a wonderful companion, a joy to live with, and the best dog I've ever known.

Most of you know that Speedy wasn't quite "right" in the head. In the long run that made him more special. He would have been an awesome dog had he been "normal", but he was even better than that because, in spite of his many limitations, he also had exceptional gifts.

He loved to chase and carry balls, he loved to run around Dean in lovely big swirls as he retrieved both inside and outside, he loved to lay in the shade in the summertime and chaw on a frisbee, he loved to walk in the woods, he loved to play on the beach, but most of all, he loved to dance - he would beat his paws in time to the music . . . on and on and on!

I will miss his simplicity, his joy, his sweetness, his tireless devotion, his trust, his love, and his quiet presence in our home.

In memory of . . .

DCD-CH Speedy RL1X, RL2, RLVX, RA, CRO-I, WFDX-MF, WFDX-HTM, WSSMDX-MF, RFE-Alt-N, ITD, CGC

Truly a once in a lifetime dog . . .

SSSwing1_zps69486424.jpg

Dance on Speedy dance on.

I am so sorry Kristine. Losing those kind of dogs or any dogs for that matter leave such spaces in our heart. One can never imagine that in time that space hurts less and is filled with wonderful memories that make us whole.

Till you meet again.

I am so sorry, Kristine. I've read your posts for so long, learning from them about Speedy and you, and all the things you did together. I never met Speedy in person, but let me tell you, a tear started to flow before I even had the thread open. I think you'll be seeing him out of the corner of your eye for a long time.

Wishing you peace,

Janet

Kristine, I am so sorry. He sounds like he had a huge impact on your life. They of course all do. But some just a bit more than others. Treasure the memories. He will never leave you.

As Janet (ShoresDog) already said, it was with tears that I opened this.

So this is where we part, my friend,
And you'll run on, around the bend,
Gone from sight, but not from mind,
New pleasures there you'll surely find.

I will go on. I'll find the strength.
Life measures quality, not its length.
One long embrace before you leave,
Share one last look, before I grieve.

There were others, that much is true,
But they be they, and they aren't you.
And I, fair, impartial, or so I thought,
Will remember well all you've taught.

Your place I'll hold, you will be missed,
The fur I stroked, the nose I kissed.
And as you journey to your final rest,
Take this with you....I loved you best.

--unknown

Vaya con Dios, Speedy.

I'm so sorry Kristine. it is never easy and it doesn't get easier.

When the body that lived at your single will,

With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!);

When the spirit that answered your every mood

Is gone--wherever it goes--for good,

You will discover how much you care,

And will give your heart for the dog to tear.

"Not quite right in the head" describes most of the dogs I have ever owned so I know how strong can be the bond that can develop despite (or maybe because of) deficiencies in the "normality" department.

You will have learned so much from each other and all your subsequent dogs will be the beneficiaries of Speedy's legacy.