BC Boards

All about crooks and canes?

gcv-border

A topic in the General Discussion forum started me thinking and wondering about the different types of crooks and canes and their multiple uses.

So --- here is a question from a non-herder (although I hope to join the ranks soon):

What are the (multiple) uses for a cane/sorting stick? Sorting, lean on, bang on ground to get the attention of the dog or sheep or ..........?

What characteristics do you prefer in your stick and why?

Do you have more than one cane / stick for different jobs and how do they differ?

Difference between neck and leg crook? Size of curvature?

Anything else that one should consider when purchasing?

Thanks.

I actually use a long horse lunge whip for training dogs. Gives me much more length to my arm and helps me keep the stock from sticking to me. I don't like my dogs bending off a stick because I don't want them reacting to me waving my crook if I am penning or shedding.

For most daily chores I am using a heavy duty walking stick, mainly so I don't slip in the mud.

I use the dog and a leg crook to catch lambs, but that's just a few weeks a year. Adult sheep and older lambs I am using a dog to stop them, then grabbing with my hands so I can get them under control quickly.

My dress crook is for trials only.

A topic in the General Discussion forum started me thinking and wondering about the different types of crooks and canes and their multiple uses.

So --- here is a question from a non-herder (although I hope to join the ranks soon):

What are the (multiple) uses for a cane/sorting stick? Sorting, lean on, bang on ground to get the attention of the dog or sheep or ..........?

What characteristics do you prefer in your stick and why?

Do you have more than one cane / stick for different jobs and how do they differ?

Difference between neck and leg crook? Size of curvature?

Anything else that one should consider when purchasing?

Thanks.

Cane uses are endless: sorting, catching, propping things up or open, keeping your balance in the mud and snow, blocking sheep to go in a certain direction, and in training they can help you guide the dog.

For sheep work, my favorite is my black fiberglass Colroy crook. It's nearly indestructible and light in the hand, and easy to hold onto if I'm trying to catch a sheep or lamb. I also have a heavier fiberglass stock stick that's kind of clunky in the hand, so I save that for stuff like sorting rams.

For training a dog, I may use the Colroy crook or I may use a light fiberglass wand - those black or silver ones that I think are modeled on golf club handles are my faves. Very light and easy to use. Though you can break them if you smack them on the ground or a sheep's head too hard. :P Depending on the dog, I may also use a training flag or a buggy whip with the lash end cut off.

I also have a very nice, fancy ram's horn crook that only comes out for trialing. :)

And I have a plain wooden chestnut crook but it's kind of heavy, so it mainly hangs on the wall.

And you're right, leg crooks have a very small, leg-sized hook while regular crooks have a larger curved end. The working ones like my chestnut and Colroy crooks are curved big enough to snag a sheep around the neck, while the fancy ram's horn dress crooks are usually just for trial and show.

~ Gloria

I too use a leg crook for my daily chores. Like others say, it It has multiple uses in addition to catching ewes.

The shank is made from a thin seasoned Hazel branch that I straightened.

The curved crook head is, I guess, an antique (I've always preferred the shape and look of these to the modern aluminium or fibreglass ones). This cost a few bucks from a local farm auction, but it took a bit of time to find one whose shape and weight suited my needs (it had to be light enough to balance well when holding onto the other end of the shaft).

I also have a couple of straightened hazel shafts without a head that make useful walking aids/ general canes. Personally I like using seasoned hazel wood .IME it's relatively lightweight yet sufficiently robust to put up with daily use and doesn't break easily,

The couple of fancy horn crooks I've been given as presents just act as ornaments around the house.

For training, I tend to use a length of plastic plumbing pipe to act as an extension to my arm plus it makes a sharpish sound when I smack it against my boot (and doesn't hurt or break my leg in the process!)

I only use a leg crook, big one for catching ewes and smaller one for lambs. But mostly my dogs can catch a lamb so that is handy as I don't carry a crook on horseback. Don't use a cane.