BC Boards

a word of caution

denice

Recently had a very bad experience with someone wanting a young border collie. He has seemed ok in all our emails and conversations. He wanted a working bred dog to be a family menber and get into herding by working ducks. I had a spayed female that I thought would suit the family and situation. Had a deposit since Feb, wanted more training on the dog which I have done. Updates and photos and video along the way. Shipped her to MA and an email less than 24 after he world have picked her up said he had a "situation and couldn't keep her". WOW ok yes I will take her back. Somehow he believes that means it is ok to cancell his last payment for training, flight, crate, vet visit....and I should refund his deposit and pay for the flight back to me. If I was not so ticked off I would laugh.

I imagine he is or will look for another bc and a trainer near him so just be aware

Long story I have the girl back and now will proceed with my options. Just be careful. It is a shame there are untrustworthy people out there.

WOW ok yes I will take her back. Somehow he believes that means it is ok to cancell his last payment for training, flight, crate, vet visit....and I should refund his deposit and pay for the flight back to me. If I was not so ticked off I would laugh.

Although I like to think that the parties on both sides of the coin are honest and reputable, there are those infrequent (hopefully) times when one party engages in less-than-honorable practices. I would like to live in a world where your word or handshake is good enough, but unfortunately, I don't, and this is one of the reasons why contracts are necessary.

I am sorry to hear this happened. I am sure your girl will get a good home.

Since I will try and get the monies owed I will not go into specifics but I am posting so no one else trusts him with their dog, yes he had an ad stating he was looking for a dog posted on a site.

Like I said everything appeared fine until I shipped and did not get a call that he had picked her up so I called him and asked that he let me know. That was the first red flag.Things went down hill quickly from there

Please notify those in charge of the site as soon as you get things cleared up. I would hate to see someone else taken by him. And if something similar every happens, do reach out to the local community. I would have picked her up and held her or taken her to the airport for you.

Liz I did notify those in charge of the site and requested action that would not allow others to be lied to and dogs flown around the country needlessly. Hopefully it is being addressed. I appreciate your offer and concern. At least this way HE had to pay the return flight.

I am hoping the working border collie community being the tight knit group it is will band together. I am hoping in screwing me he will soon understand the negative effects of that in this group. Were I will not say his name publicly I can not stop other from doing so and make the past known to breeders, trainers, handlers and rescue groups.

Many of do not know me, have never met me, do not know my dogs ect and most of you I will meet. When it comes to these incredible dogs we all want the best for them. My young girl will never be a cover girl for border collies. She is a smooth coat tri, born with a short tail and has her grandmothers funny ears - but a border collie she is and she works like her one and acts like one. IF seen on the street a person would not call her a bc, they would say shepherd cross for sure. Seen on sheep there is no mistaking her breed or talent from some of the better dogs in this country going back to the UK. It would not surprise me if he just decided he didnt like her look although she had no makeup on in her photos or video he saw. Just no excuse for some people and their disreguard of animals and other people.

My young girl will never be a cover girl for border collies. She is a smooth coat tri, born with a short tail and has her grandmothers funny ears - but a border collie she is and she works like her one and acts like one. IF seen on the street a person would not call her a bc, they would say shepherd cross for sure. Seen on sheep there is no mistaking her breed or talent from some of the better dogs in this country going back to the UK. It would not surprise me if he just decided he didnt like her look although she had no makeup on in her photos or video he saw.

About 15-20 years ago, I was at the Altamont, NY SDT - which had a great announcer. [The trial was at a local fairgrounds and there were a large # of the general public (me included) that really appreciated the comments of the announcer.] One thing that I recall clearly was a comment about how one dog was not the prettiest, but that s/he just worked harder to make up for it. I have always remembered that. Function above beauty.

Two of my dogs come from Denice, and I'll vouch for her integrity and care in both business and personal transactions.

Both my dogs from Denice are closely related to the youngster who just made the very short round trip to Massachusetts. One (an aunt) is running successfully in Ranch at three years of age despite my inexperience as a trainer. The other (a littermate of the too-well-traveled bitch) turned on to sheep work by the time he was 7 months old, and is showing good promise now. In addition to a positive attitude toward stock work, both have nice, adaptable personalities, and have been healthy and easy to live with.

I think it's likely this guy just turned down *exactly* the dog he asked for in his NEBCA classified advertisement. Given the way he's behaved, it's probably just as well for the dog. But I hate to see a decent breeder treated so poorly.

Liz Sharpe

currently near Annapolis, MD (USA)

• 4 weeks later...