BC Boards

Hair Loss

harborsite

Hi everyone, I am new to this group and new to BC's. I have rescued an adorable little girl, approx 2 yrs old. When I got her she was flea & tick infested. I got her cleaned up and got her shots, heartworm test and checked over pretty well. She is going quite well but is loosing her hair TERRIBLY. Not just a little shedding. I have her on a decent dog food, Diamond. I am also supplementing her with a coat supplement (can't remember the name of it at this moment, and I am not home)

Do any of you guys have an idea of what I can do? I have been using a rubber curry comb to help get the loose hairs out so there is not so much in the house, but it is insane!!! She does not have any bald spots although I don't know how she is keeping from it. She has no undercoat to speak of - just horribly bitten up skin from all the pests.

Any ideas would be welcome.

She is such a sweet little - also skinny - girl. She only weights about 30 pounds and could stand to be fattened up quite a bit. She is eating like a bird right now, only wants table scraps but she doesn't need to get used to me giving them to her.

Ruth

Many dogs have an allergic reaction to flea bites that causes the fur loss. Sometime a simple steroid shot can stop the reaction and the coat grows back in no problem. Also if she is still scratching you might try an oatmeal based shampoo to sooth the skin.

For a picky eater I would offer food in her bowl on the floor when I am not eating. I normally feed my gang of 5 before I sit down to eat dinner myself. Also you can add a little warm water to kibble or low sodium beef/chicken broth. If she doesnt eat pick up the food after 10 min, and offer again in about an hour. If she ignores then pick up and she is done for the night. You might also search for a recipe for Satin Balls, its used to put weight on very lean dogs

Thanks for the quick response. I have used Satin Balls on my Jack Russells. I guess I need to mix some up for her. I have been hesitant about any non-kibble food because her teeth are horrible. She will be getting them cleaned after I get some weight on her.

Thanks again,

Ruth

Hi, Ruth, again,

Her hair loss could be totally normal. She's stressed from being rehomed, and if she is severely underweight, that's another stress. Buzz blows coat like a husky. He started the fall shed, and there's tufts of black hair every where, literally 2 minutes after we vacuum.

For weight gain, you can try the satin balls, if her tummy is sensitive she might have some diarrhea. If she'll tolerate oil, like a good vegetable oil or coconut oil, (organic from the health food store) that's a good way to get some weight on her.

Make sure she's got a comfortable eating spot. Some dogs need peace and quiet, some dogs need to be where they can at least see their people. Try feeding a couple times a day, even 3 times if necessary, and pick up after 10 minutes or so, like Pat suggested.

Put your healthy table scraps in her bowl, mix well. I'm assuming you don't eat potato chips and oreos for dinner, or at least not every night. :rolleyes: You can also use her daily ration of food to train.

As far as her skin condition, bathing with almost anything will kill the fleas on her, and then apply advantage or frontline. With a decent diet and flea control, her skin should calm down. If not, you might need to consider if she's got allergies, which is so much fun . . .

Good luck! Let us know how you do.

Ruth n the BC3

Hi Ruth - nice to meet you too!!

I got her fleas and ticks gone - all that is left behind are the sores which have been getting much better.

I found if I literally sit next to her she will eat, just extremely slowly. She doesn't seem to be enjoying it at all.

She has been having some nasty diarrhea which I thought was just stress and such but found worms in there tonight. The vet had checked and said none but they are definitely there. I will pick up some Drontel in the morning and give it to her. When I called the vet about the worms I told them about her hair and they want to start her on steroids. She is not scratching at all. But yes she is definitely stressed out.

Sorry, I will quit talking for now, I can talk about my dogs forever. . .

Ruth (TN)