BC Boards

Kip's Having Puppies...

Aerie

Aerie - What little cuties! I hope everything's still going fine this morning. It's great that your boss understands and will let you do what needs to be done and work it around your job. I'm sure you're feeling very sleep deprived at this point. A friend of mine raised 14 St. Bernard pups years ago when she lost the mom during a C-section. She and her husband had to take leaves of absence and stay home to feed pups full time for 3 weeks. We just don't give these bitches enought credit for all they do - they make it look easy.

One thing I thought of - and your vet probably already mentioned this. Make sure the pups are keeping warm - since they don't have Kip to snuggle up to. They can't control their own body temps for the first week/10 days. They may need an outside heat source (heating pad, hot water bottle) to crawl to if they get chilled (lucky for them it's Summer and not Winter)or if they get too warm, a water-filled frozen 1 or 2 liter soda bottle works well to give them a cool spot. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions that don't need to be taking space up on this list.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aerie:

I was shocked and sad to hear about Kippy. I do think that she gave her every last bit of life for those puppies, and that she waited for you to be there with her before she passed, speaks to her knowing that you and she had a special bond. Dogs are so unlike other animals in their loyalty and trust, I think she needed to know her pups were going to be taken care of before she could let go. You and she touched eachother in a very special way.

The pups need a strong mom now, and I know you can do it. We are all here for you.

Julie

I am so very sorry. It is so sad that she had to give her life for her pups.

God bless you for doing all you could and for taking care of those precious babies.

Please believe me when I say this, if I was closer I'd be right there trying to help.

Thank you for caring.

Aerie,

You,Kip and her family are in my Prayers.

May the Great Spirit watch over and guide you all through this heartbreak and this blessing.

Although I have never had to surogate a newborn litter I have found some information that may be of help to you.

http://www.leerburg.com/bottlefeeding.htm

Like't'y Nenn"e

(Stay the Path)

Aerie,

I wish I was closer so I could help in person, but my thoughts and prayers for you, Kip and the pups will have to do. If you need anything, or just a shoulder to cry on, pm me, I'll be more than happy to respond.

Hang in there, you're doing some wonderful stuff.

Ruth n the BC3

Aerie,

I've been without a computer and can only sporadically read these boards, but what a heart & gut wrenching post to have read. Thank God she was with you where she lived, if only briefly, and died in your loving hands---and damn the bastards who allowed her to get into this condition.

I admire you for your heart and courage and a thank you for taking in this little dog who deserved better in her life, and finally got it with you.

I think there is a reason for everything, that Kip came into your life and presented you with these pups. It may not be evident now, but there's something bigger than any of us working here.

You have a tough road ahead of you with these little guys. The way I've seen people on this board come together, I think you won't totally be alone.

Words cannot express what my heart feels for you. Please know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

She gave them her all and then some.

That'll do Kipppy....you done good.

Kristen

Again, I have to say thanks to everyone...your prayers and kind words are helping more than you know.

Bottle feeding is DEFINITELY not fun, and i'm exhausted, but it seems like it's working - each of the puppies has gained back at least the ounce they lost the day after they were born and some have gained two or three ounces each. So far, so good. The little ones are active and as healthy as can be, thank goodness.

My neighbor is an angel and is helping me with feeding. She kept them for about 6 hours this afternoon so I could get a bit of sleep.

Now if I can just convince Recon that the puppies aren't hers and no matter how hard she tries she can't nurse them, and convince Combat that they are not in fact evil doers out to get him...I'll be in good shape.

Recon, hunny you can teach the puppies what they need to know. Combat, they are little devils but if you keep a good eye on they will be perfect little angels. So when they get strong enough to start getting where they shouldn't you just tell Mama. Ok Recon and Combat here is a new trick for you hold the bottle for the babies. Mama Aerie, get rest when you can. You are doing a terrific job. (((HUGS and Prayers))))

sweet little recon but Karrie's right, at least the pups wont be without the socialization that they would get from kippy, and they have eachother, so the chances of them ending up with social or behavioral problems later will be lessened.

I am having trouble convincing myself that I dont want another puppy the housetraining ect., but those sweet little faces are very persuasive.

Oh my, I didn't read this all the way through until I saw the up date on the puppies, posts.

I think the name Kip just became the symbal of courage in my book...

Sorry for your loss and blessings on you for raising the pups. I had to raise my Dobermans puppies (way long story, but it turned out ok.) I ended up tubing them becasue several just didn't want to take the bottle of any kind. I know how much work this is, having raised pups, kittens, goats and horses by hand. God bless you for your perservence. The pups are in good hands with you and Recon on duty. Are you going to keep one :rolleyes::D:D

Andrea D.