BC Boards

Just finished "Nop's Trials"

I highly recommend this novel! I started it yesterday and finished it today, I just couldn't put it down. It's one of those books that'll make your eyes water a lot. Kinda hard to read through watery eyes :rolleyes: And a lot of goosebumps too.

hmm.. now what should I read. I dont have any other dog books. A friend gave that one to me. She said she saw a book with Lance on the cover and got it for me lol.

BTW, I just looked at the sequel "Nop's Hope". DO NOT read the reviews on Amazon if you haven't already read the book. The very first customer review is full of spoilers. How rude...

I'm still reading "Run Rainy Run".

That sounds like a good book too. Problem is that I recently lost my Labrador, and a book about a man and his hunting dog would probably hit me a bit hard. Seeing all the great dogs at sportsmans show is about all I can take in that area. I dont want to end up with another sporting dog cause I read a book lol. I dont hunt birds anymore.

Ah heck, I guess I'll have to read it now anyway.

I loved Nop's Trials--Nop's Hope is good, too, though the first is my favorite. I wish the man would write more fiction!

Another book you might want to try is The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst. It's about a man whose wife dies and the only witness is the family dog (a Norwegian Ridgeback). The man tries to teach the dog to talk so he can find out what happened. The writing itself could be a little tighter, but the premise is fascinating.

The man tries to teach the dog to talk so he can find out what happened. The writing itself could be a little tighter, but the premise is fascinating.

It was a very interesting premise but I found the things that were being done to the dogs to get them to talk too disturbing. I stopped reading.

If you enjoyed Nop's Trials (and I was so disturbed by parts of it that it was a long time before I could reread it) and Nop's Hope (I really enjoyed this one, more than many reviewers), you might want to try Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men. That is about Mr. McCaig's trip to Scotland to buy a dog. It is utterly fascinating and a real insight into the world of working Border Collies and the people and culture that surround them.

I understand some folks "over there" may have been bothered that he wrote about them in a book, but the book is nothing but a loving and affectionate tribute to the people who have helped shape the working Border Collie, and continue to do so today. They, like the rest of us, come complete with warts and all...

By the way, he has two books out recently. A Useful Dog is a small book of short stories, and very appealing. I have just ordered a copy of The Dog Wars: How the Border Collie Battled the American Kennel Club (thanks for the heads up, Heather). I'm looking forward to his particularly entertaining and sharply humorous tale of that sad hijacking of a great breed by the proponents of mediocrity.

Edited to correct the title from "A Good Dog" (my mistake) to "A Useful Dog" (which is much more meaningful in many ways) - thank you for pointing out my error, Eileen!

I second Dangerous Dogs, Eminent Men. I thought that was a wonderful book--I liked it more than Nop's Trials, actually (I just couldn't get into Nop's Trials--and I've tried four times). His book American Homeplace (I think it's called) is also very good--there's a little about dogs in it, but it's more about moving from NYC to his Virginia Farm in the 70's.

If you like non-fiction, Mark Derr's two books on dogs are pretty good--I liked Dog's Best Friend better than A dog's history of America, but they are both pretty interesting.

I can't wait for Dog Wars--I hadn't heard about it and immediately went to order it only to find it's not quite published yet. I should be just about done with the new Harry Potter when it gets published... :rolleyes:

ETA: My Freudian (or something) slip--of course the title of the book is Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men. D'oh.

McCaig's new book of short stories is called A Useful Dog. Do not confuse it (and I know Sue never would!) with Jon Katz's A Good Dog.

His other new book, The Dog Wars, actually IS available now -- it's just not on Amazon yet. You can get it through Outrun Press.

I think Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men is my favorite too, although if I were you, BorderC, I would go ahead and read Nop's Hope first.

Eileen - Thank you, my face is red and I corrected my post!

The bookstore where I work (and get my discount) said that book was out in January but, since I can't get it from them, I ordered from Amazon. There was another book I wanted and so I succumbed to the lure of low prices.

I reread Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men several times a year - especially when I am away from home at a trial like the Bluegrass (several nights good reading) or a clinic. It reads so well and enjoyably that it's easy to imagine myself being there when I'm really just camping out and anticipating the next day with the dogs and good friends who are so kind to me.

I think Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men is my favorite too, although if I were you, BorderC, I would go ahead and read Nop's Hope first.

Yeah, I think I will. And then Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men. And then maybe The Dogs of Babel, cause it did strike my curiousity. I read Black Beauty when I was a kid. Nop's Trials reminds me of that book a lot. Only better IMO.

The Dogs of Babel is an interesting book, but a very strange book. I liked it, but like Shetlander I found some parts of it very hard to take, and other people I know found those parts so unbelievable that it spoiled the book for them. I don't think it's supposed to be literally believable, so that didn't bother me. It's really a psychological study of the main character, and his dead wife, and their relationship, more so than the training-the-dog-to-talk stuff that's going on on the surface, IMO.

"Merle's Door" is really a really good dog story - not quite as funny as Marley and Me, but what could be LOL

I didn't find "Marley and Me" all that funny, or interesting, or good. It was cute, but all the reviews went on and on about how awful Marley was and frankly, he just sounded like a regular Lab. It was just "ok" for me.

RDM

I didn't find "Marley and Me" all that funny, or interesting, or good. It was cute, but all the reviews went on and on about how awful Marley was and frankly, he just sounded like a regular Lab. It was just "ok" for me.

RDM

That's how I felt, too. I kept waiting for him to turn into demon spawn but... he was just a normal Lab as far as I could tell. I didn't understand how they could classify him as the worst dog ever! :rolleyes: He wasn't really that bad at all!

I loveeee Nop's Trials and Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men. I'm in the middle of Nop's Hope now. :D

The first I've heard of Dog Wars has been this thread... Wow, can't wait!! I'm going to have to pre-order it now!!

I first read Nop's Trials 15 yrs. ago. I loved it. Then I read Eminent Dogs a few years later. I really liked that one. When Nop's Hope came out, that was on my "must read" list, and once I did, I was really disappointed -- the sequel being nowhere near as good as the first. I could go back and read Nop's Trials and Eminent Dogs over and over again and still not be bored, but getting through Nop's Hope once was enough for me.

I'm looking forward to these next two books.

I first read Nop's Trials 15 yrs. ago. I loved it. Then I read Eminent Dogs a few years later. I really liked that one. When Nop's Hope came out, that was on my "must read" list, and once I did, I was really disappointed -- the sequel being nowhere near as good as the first. I could go back and read Nop's Trials and Eminent Dogs over and over again and still not be bored, but getting through Nop's Hope once was enough for me.

I'm looking forward to these next two books.

I started Nop's Hope yesterday. So far it hasn't hooked me like the first book did. I'll be done with it in a couple days and post my thoughts too.

Just finished Nop's Hope. It was a good book. Not as enjoyable as Nop's Trials for me, partly because it was so dang sad the whole way through topped off with a very sad ending, but it was a good read. I'm looking forward to getting Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men.

it was so dang sad the whole way through topped off with a very sad ending

Maybe I just looked at it differently - I found the beginning very sad, the middle full of worry, and the end to be sad but full of promise for the future. For some odd reason, I really like the book. It is such a struggle for her but the bond between her and the dog makes me tear up. Sure, she really screws him up at the end but that also provides her the release for her pain and allows her to get on with her life. They will turn out okay - the dog's in good hands at the end, and so is she.

It's a story that tells me the human (and dog) spririt is strong and can overcome what might seem to be impossible. Kind of like Nop's Trials in that way, in my opinion.