BC Boards

Excessive hair loss

Maralynn

Missy has almost always had a beautiful coat. When she has shed in the past it was right after being in heat. It would be 2-3 weeks of lots of hair everywhere, and then that was it. I would brush her once a week throughout the year and get hardly any hair.

The end of September/begining of October she went through false pregnancy. After that the hair was everywhere. And she is still losing it. Her under coat is gone.

She was spayed in November. Pre-op blood work showed a couple slight abnormalities, but follow up blood work was normal.

She eats a combination of high quality kibble and homemade food. Her engery level is normal, and weight is the same. But I keep thinking she can't keep losing hair like this.

Any ideas on what is going on here? I'm about ready to give her another week or so and then make appointment with the vet.

How long does it usually take for the coat to grow back after pregnancy or false pregnancy? She went through false pregnancy about 3 months after being in heat. She had milk and was a bit moody for a little over a week. After that the hair has been everywhere. It was about the third week of October. I'm trying to figure out how long I should wait to see if things will get back to normal.

Also, thyroid problems had crossed my mind. Aren't there usually other symptems that go along with hair loss? Or does it just depend on the dog?

All of my bitches "blow coat" about 4 months after being in heat, or around when they would be weaning pups if they'd had them. None have ever had false pregnancies either. It's just natural. They stay sort of naked for a while and then regrow their coats just about the time they're ready to go into heat again.

The coat blowing probably is worse if the bitch had a false pregnancy. I know after Spottie had pups that she really went all out when it came time to blow her coat, more so than after a regular heat.