BC Boards

For crying out loud.

For anyone who occasionally does NADAC but doesn't have the time to keep up with the ever-changing rules....

Per Sharon on the list this morning:

By next year, you will probably start to see them. Think about it when

you see dogs falling down in tight tunnels and wonder just how bad it is to

teach them to go around a round object and have the ability to not have the

slick tunnel take their footing away!

If you think about a barrel from the "dogs" point of view, it is a no

brainer. But from the handlers point of view, it can be tough to have to teach

the dog something new.

Sharon

Yes, that would be another non-traditional agility obstacle that is going to be making its way into all regular NADAC trials (vs. EGC where the barrel saw its inception, along with gates).

I always figured they would end up taking jumps away (we see more and more hoops these days), but never did I think the tunnels would start to disappear as well. It's a ground speed obstacle -- but apparently since their 9 yps dogs keep wiping out in tunnels, now they are bad and dangerous as well.

When EGC was first introduced, I told everyone to wait and see -- eventually it would make its way into NADAC trials. Well, here we are. Last year people rioted against gates and Sharon said she would limit their use to EGC (and had a pretty big pouting fit about it, I might add). Competitor grumbling be damned, it sounds like barrels are coming whether you like it or not.

Clubs are going to be so enthused about having more "specialized" equipment to purchase and store. People who train at home now have to worry about one more thing to budget into their agility life. I'm sorry, but I don't have the time, money nor inclination to even consider this.

I've been moving away from NADAC recently as it is, but the day that the EGC equipment gets merged into normal trials is the day I stop completely. I wrote that to the list this morning, but surprise, my e-mail didn't get posted.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EGC is short for "Extreme Games Challenges" or something like that. EGC uses nothing but hoops, gates, tunnels and recently, barrels. There are no jumps, no contacts and no weave poles. It was Sharon's creation and has been kept separate from NADAC -- the awards are not combined and EGC classes are not held at regular trials (although some clubs have been hosting EGC trials the Friday before a traditional trial). It has scoring that I can't even begin to explain because I don't understand it -- I've never played and have no desire.

I'm confused, are you saying that barrels will also start replacing tunnels in nadac "standard agility"? If so, then eventually the only tunnels on courses will be straight? Sorry, I briefly looked in the yahoo group but couldn't find any info. Urg... I hate that nadac is the most popular organization in my area... it is barely agility now.

I only run one NADAC trial per year. It's only 20 miles away - so I go and play with my dog.

I know a little bit about EGC, but that was before the barrel showed up. So what is the barrel? Any similarity to the barrel (without the chute) in AKC?

Jovi

think barrel racing with horses... the barrels are stood up on end and dogs go 'round them. what little i saw looks boring... i can stay home and play "send around a tree" :). what i can't figure out is if this is to be integrated into the "agility" portion of the program versus keeping it in Sharon's EGC.

I think it's a cool idea, actually.

I like the non-traditional pieces, like the hoops. I'd like to see more pieces in Agility that are different in some way. I don't know why that appeals to me so much, but it does.

think barrel racing with horses... the barrels are stood up on end and dogs go 'round them. what little i saw looks boring... i can stay home and play "send around a tree" :). what i can't figure out is if this is to be integrated into the "agility" portion of the program versus keeping it in Sharon's EGC.

Yes, this. And barrels will be replacing tightly curved tunnels because apparently dogs are "wiping out" in the "slippery tunnels" with such tight curves. Instead you will now direct your dog to wrap around a barrel.

I'm sure it does appeal to some people. It just doesn't appeal to me.

I just went to YouTube to find a quick example -- This is an EGC run that uses gates & barrels.

Again, appeals to some, not to others. I was totally fine with EGC being its own entity -- But I don't want it integrated into "regular" agility.

Found an "EGC Combo" from Champs that combines everything.

I have no idea what the actual course is in this case -- the thing about EGC is that you don't correct mistakes, you just keep going and are scored for how many things you get right.

Agility mind officially blown. :lol:

but the question really is... is nadac really agility anymore? in keeping with sharon's thought process (always a surprise)... nadac might officially declare that it is now about "games to play with your dog". And I do not mean the agility game :).

For whatever reason, NADAC has been separating itself from mainstream agility more and more every year. It started with the removal of obstacles (no teeter, table, tire, chute, spreads) in the name of safety. Then hoops were introduced as a "ground speed obstacle."

NADAC was the first to introduce rubber contacts, which I'll always consider a great and wonderful thing. But aside from that, I just don't understand what is with the constant push away from mainstream.

Everything is done in the name of "safety" for the dogs. This barrel fiasco is brought about because apparently there are dogs wiping out in tightly curved tunnels. Maybe the problem is not with the tunnels, but with constantly pushing the dog to run 9 yps?

I love fast dogs. I love watching fast dogs. But agility is more than just seeing how fast a dog can run. You can go to a greyhound track if that's what trips your trigger.

I have no idea what the actual course is in this case -- the thing about EGC is that you don't correct mistakes, you just keep going and are scored for how many things you get right.

That's ... weird. Maybe they can work Treiball in there too? Like, push the ball around some barrels and through the gates?

BTW, my 8+ YPS dog never slips in curved tunnels.

i used to love nadac, even tho it isn't readily available in this area. last time i ran it though i was very disappionted to see how hoops had pretty much taken the place of jumps. i agree with those who said that nadac will have to stop calling themselves an agility venue. teeters, tables, tires and now tunnels, perhaps it has something to do with the letter "T".

i have started an agility venue here in W.V. called Furs-A-Flyin Agility which currently offers CPE. i was considering nadac but now it's starting to seem silly.

It is kind of funny to me how some of you sound so bitter about this. Especially those of you who don't even run NADAC any more or never did, if I remember correctly several of you don't but it still seems like your feathers are ruffled by a possible NADAC change. Wow, don't sweat the small stuff; lifes too short.

For those of you that do, but are unhappy about this, you should let Sharon know, either direct email, forum or yahoo. I've had posts in the past that haven't been posted, but have received contact back from her that my 'vote/thought' was taken in. It does seem like this is similar to adding gates, which ended up not happening, so voice it again about this if you like. I for one am going to try it at home, see what my dogs think and after trying it in a small course type setting will then make my judgement and give my thoughts to Sharon. Doesn't mean that I will get my way; if I'm that unhappy with the outcome I'll take my agility money and run elsewhere!

The other thing that seems interesting is how it appears many of you think that the agility associations should be the same?!? If you are saying NADAC doesn't seem like agility any more; well, no, it just doesn't seem like what other associations are doing; but it's still a game to be played with handler/dog teams with equipment. Just like rest of the associations; if I hear someone talking about USDAA agility, I have a preset notion on what the courses will be like. Same with AKC, CPE, etc. I for one, think it's great there are so many venues that you can find a style of course that both you and your dog like and train for success there.