BC Boards

metronidazole without a prescription

alligande

I would like to have a small supply of metronidazole on hand for the occasional bouts of diarrhea especially if it happens away from home at an agility trial. I have 2 tablets left and have been searching for a non-prescription source, I love my vets but persuading them to hand over a medicine in advance will be an exercise in futility, getting panacur out of them with out a visit was hard work and that does not even require a prescription....... Any suggestions

Thanks

That's what we use. The really expensive pills from the vet are twice that strength. But one pill sure does it for Fergie, who was just over 50 lbs. when we started using it. She's lost weight as she's aged up. But one pill worked as well at her highest weight as one does now.

I've gotten ours from Care-A-Lot Pets, thanks to Julie. But their web site appears to have some kind of a tag problem today.

Get it while it's hot! Effective this month, there is only one supplier of Metronidazole in this country and the prices have gone up 700%+!!! I manage a large veterinary hospital and the pills that used to cost less than 4 cents are going up to .55cents a pill!

Michelle

Thanks for the "heads up" I was getting low --- so ordered 4 bottles. I would have waited then had a "heart attack" when I saw the new price!

What isn't going up :@(

I am NOT a vet, but keep in mind what you're giving is an antibiotic and should only be used for diarrhea caused by bacteria overgrowth. There are plenty of other non-Rx choices for that as well.

I use Fast Balance: http://alturl.com/2sfxn

Just my non-licensed vet 2 cents. ;-)

You can also get W/D from the vet and it works well for dogs that are "just loose" :@).

I keep it with me at trials ... "just in case".

My go-to for tummy upset is a mixture of slippery elm bark powder and probiotics. I like the holistic stuff Eagle Pack puts out - the pink bottle see here. You put 1/4 tsp per 10 lbs of dog of the slippery elm bark powder, and then 1/4 tsp per cup of food of the EP probiotics, and mix with enough cold water to make a thick gruel, and put it on top of their food (or mix it in). Most of the time this fixes them right up, often used in conjuction with fasting and then chicken/rice.

If Fergie's stool looks a tad soft - enough that I worry - I skip the next meal and give her a tablespoon of pumpkin. The next meal will be some of the mixture of boiled chicken (from our making our supply of stock) and rice that I freeze in cup containers. If she's fine, we gradually add kibble to the chicken & rice until she's back to her usual.

That usually works.

The fish meds are for when she gets really loose and the usual procedure doesn't work. Or when we wake to a "sprayed kitchen". That's better than when it was the bedroom. As she turned 15 in December and has arthritis, she (and her cat) sleep in the back half of the downstairs.

Loving all the other suggestions here. I also keep bland canned food (Purina EN) on hand as well since I'm too lazy to cook for my dogs and can't on the road anyway. I do pumpkin and/or probiotics as well. Personally I prefer to try the non-drug routes before reaching for the Imodium or Metro.

I don't know if dogs can develop antibiotic resistance; I'll have to pick my vet's brain next time we chat.

I am NOT a vet, but keep in mind what you're giving is an antibiotic and should only be used for diarrhea caused by bacteria overgrowth. There are plenty of other non-Rx choices for that as well.

I use Fast Balance: http://alturl.com/2sfxn

Just my non-licensed vet 2 cents. ;-)

I am not a Vet either but I strongly agree with this... you really do not want to use Metronidazole so freely. Fast Balance will work as a probiotic you can also try

RX Clay by RX Vitamins. your Vet might be more willing to give you something like that. :)

OK guys to all of you that are worried that I am over using antibiotics - do not worry my dogs seem to have strong stomachs and this happens very rarely, and every time I have used metronidazole without the vets permission it has been 1 250mg pill, if the problem continued we would be of to the vets.

When I'm at home and can give slippery elm, probiotics, pumpkin, etc. a chance to work, that's what I use. But when I'm on the road and a dog picks something up and I want it stopped now, before a disaster in a hotel room or tent, I will use a dose of metronidazole or immodium. Judicious use of antibiotics isn't likely to cause issues.

J.

What Julie said. I was at an out of town agility trial, traveling/running a dog that was not my own. Poor thing had a raging case of diarrhea, to the point of pooping in the middle of the agility ring (during run throughs, thank goodness!). Luckily, my trainer was also in attendance and hooked us up with some metronidazole. I could not afford him having an accident of that magnitude in a hotel room!

Okay, really dumb question, but am just trying to figure this out. Has anyone ordered any of the other antibiotics from this site? For instances- Amoxicillin? I see there are 2 different strength levels (250 vs 500 mg) which is no big deal to figure a dosage there. What I'm wondering is are the pills they come in similar to what you'd get from the Vet? I know metronidazole is, but not the others. Thanks- mn

Okay, really dumb question, but am just trying to figure this out. Has anyone ordered any of the other antibiotics from this site? For instances- Amoxicillin? I see there are 2 different strength levels (250 vs 500 mg) which is no big deal to figure a dosage there. What I'm wondering is are the pills they come in similar to what you'd get from the Vet? I know metronidazole is, but not the others. Thanks- mn

I've used them for years ... much cheaper than what you get from a vet and works great. Now, Of course (before I get the lecture :@) if it's serious then a trip to the vet is "in order" :@) But I've been "playing a Dr." for 30 years and never had a problem (but I do use common sense). As many animals as you've Doctored you have enough animal sense to know when to use them and when to call a vet.

Hi Mike,

I've ordered the amoxicillin and it was in capsule form. The metronidazole has always come in pill form. When I've ordered doxycycline (not from Jeffers), it's been something of a crap shoot: sometimes pills and sometimes capsules. I haven't ordered the cephalexin or any of the others but the amoxicillin and metronidazole from Jeffers, but I would guess most would be in capsule form as that would be easier for adding to fish tank water. The metronidazole pills I've gotten online look exactly like what I've gotten from the vet, as has the doxycycline (looks like the same formulation). <--If that's what you're asking?

J.

Thanks Candy and Julie. Yes, I hate to take a dog to the Vet when it's something simple. I hate worse having to call, ask about getting something and having to be screened and then explain.

Same here - I hate going when it's something simple that I have experience with and can deal with. I personally do a lot of armchair quarterbacking when and where I can, but temper that with taking them in when it's warranted.

Im firmly in the camp of do whatever I can holistically when at home, and stop it in it's tracks on the road. I agree with Julie on judicious use.

It was actually my vet that introduced me to metronidazole as a quick fix, a few years ago my old lady had a very upset digestive system and they gave me it as an instant solution. They had not run tests to see what was wrong yet.

My reason for wanting it has been described, away from home and a dog with the runs. Also very helpful when they get sick on a friday evening and I am not paying the premium to go the emergency vet because my dog raided someones rubbish.