BC Boards

Speaking of vehicles

SoloRiver

Who wouldn't want to pull up at a trial with this setup?

alistair_van_inside.jpg

For more musher ingenuity:

http://www.sleddogcentral.com/features/truck_photo_album.htm

In related news, I went to a dealership and checked out Honda CR-Vs and Elements the other day. If I bought an older CR-V and traded in my Integra I might be able to swing it; I liked the Element better though for dog purposes.

I'm shocked to hear the Element is poorly made; I'm a fan of all things Honda, as far as I can tell they can do no wrong.

Julie, apparently the mushers lift the dogs up for the top row. Racing huskies are usually less than 50 pounds, approximately Border Collie size. I don't think I could lift a dog up there, but a normal-sized person would be able to.

I visited my sis over last Thanksgiving, and had the pleasure of watching, every time we got into Amanda's car to go anywhere, one interior panel or another be whacked back into place. And I mean whacked, by a 17 yr old, volleyball playing, weight lifting young Amazon!

The plastic panel over the inside of the back hatchback door was the worst. It made a very satisfying thunk when whacked, however.

I was shocked, too. Honda and reliability have gone together in my mind for many years.

Ruth n the BC3

Hi Melanie,

While I can lift my dogs up, since they all weigh less than 40 pounds, I have found that they don't much like being lifted up into things and invariably struggle mightily whenever I have to do it.

That's why my younger, jump-capable dogs are all on the top row in my van, and the older dogs with spine, hip, or just emotional issues when it comes to jumping up all ride on the bottom row.

Have you considered the Honda minivan, or is that just too "family style"? Is there another SUV type Honda? I don't think Pam G. has a CR-V, but I'm pretty sure it's some sort of Honda SUV thing, and I know she really likes it.

I loved my Civic so much (and my Toyota before that) that if either ever made a van that's square like the Astro/Safari (which is the perfect shape for stacking intermediate Vari-Kennels), I would surely have one!

J.

I don't mind family style (I'd actually rather have a station wagon than an SUV, because I think SUVs are generally evil), but the Honda minivan is a bit larger than I want and also sells for a premium because it's very popular. With the CR-V at least there are enough used ones floating around that I might actually be able to afford one (once I start drawing a real salary that is).

The CR-V, Element, and Civic (and therefore the Integra, which is basically a sportier Civic) are all, believe it or not, built on the same frame. When I sat in the CR-V it felt remarkably like the car I was used to. For the size it gets good mileage. I would rather sit lower and would prefer a car that handles more like what I have -- I could do some pretty serious evasive driving in my Integra and not worry about flipping or skidding. That puts me more in Subaru Outback territory actually, but they're too expensive and people tend to keep them until they die so there aren't many used ones out there.

Melanie, for a contrasting view on the Element, talk to Heather before you make up your mind. She loves her Element! Hasn't had any trouble with it at all. It's a very dog-friendly design -- carries four crates comfortably.

Edit: Oops, sorry, I forgot -- she did have a broken windshield which she had some reason to think might be a design flaw rather than a rock. But no other problems, and she loves it anyway.

Melanie wrote:

Julie, apparently the mushers lift the dogs up for the top row. Racing huskies are usually less than 50 pounds, approximately Border Collie size. I don't think I could lift a dog up there, but a normal-sized person would be able to.
You could always get Mr. Armstrong to do it for you.

Seriously, thanks for the link.

My gripes with the Element: low ground clearance. No weight, no towing capacity. But to get you around town and out to the occasional dog trial, it might be okay.

Look around for a good used Toyota 4Runner. You get real four wheel drive, lots of room, and mine (a 1994 with 180,000 hard miles on it) gets 22 MPG. It'll tow 3,500 lbs, and it'll run forever.

Mark,

I actually considered the Sprinter before getting my new Safari (won't even talk about the car payments) but was afraid they were too narrow and might be more likely to be unstable on sharp turns (not that I drive fast or anything). It might be nice to be able to stand up in the back, but I don't think I'd ever stack crates three high, and some of the reviews I read about them were less than complimentary. But I am seeing more of them on the road, mainly with FedEx.

J.

P.S. Bill F., I had an old (1988) Toyota 4 WD pick up that I bought new and ran to death. Put a motor (after a timing chain incident--whole 'nother story, timing chain that was less than a year old broke and damaged the engine) in and drove it some more. Eventually sold it becuase I couldn't justify paying taxes and insurance on both it and the Honda, and as far as I know the guy who bought it is still using it. I always wished I had sprung for the 4Runner back when I bought that truck, but I did have a cap on the back, and I just loved it!

Julie,

sprinters can be had with dual rear wheels for more stability and increased gvwr; hoever, it doesn't increase gcwr (max towing weight).

Melanie,

I'd rather pull up in one of these and to make it the ultimate Salem Kroger will do a 4x4 conversion so no worries about getting stuck in a field.

1September2002_218.jpg?447

Mark

Hi Bob,

In the beginning, before I wised up to the safety issues, they rode loose (didn't have but two at the time). Then they were crated. By the time I had gotten as many dogs as I have now and also started trialing, I got a van.

Anyway, I think I would use crates even with a cap--it's less likely for the dogs to be thrown around and hurt if you have to swerve or make a quick stop, or God forbid, you have an accident.

If the dogs had to stay in the back, I would have opened the truck windows, the slider, and the windows on the cap, and would have left the cap door open as well to get a breeze going through. I would recommend crate fans too.

If you use a sunblocker in the windshield, you can cut down on the heat too, and if you put a reflective space blanket or those refelctive "blankets" that you can get from Clean Run over the top of the cap and covering the open cap door, you can produce a good amount of shade inside and reflect heat away from the cap.

Also make sure they have plenty of water....

If you are on the move, I would think that having the side windows on the cap and the slider (if you have one) open for ventilation would be enough. I don't run the fans unless we are stationary. And now that I have a van, the dogs have the advantage of a/c when we're on the move.

J.

I got some good ideas from Julie last summer and, boy, do they work!

I use a sunscreen in the windshield and have a heavy-duty silver tarp (from Lowe's) that I put on top of the van, and secure with clamps I got at Wal-Mart.

The tarp is big enough to cover the van and extend out both sides for "awnings". I use a few smallish PVC pipe with those white plastic fasteners (like a little strap but very thin) to attach the tarp grommets to the PVC pipe. That way, shade is provided even when the sun is to one side or the other, and I can leave the windows open in rainy weather.

I leave the windows, side and back door open and, with only two dogs, tie the dogs where they can be inside or outside the van (with great care that they can't hang themselves). Of course, I only do this where they are safe. If I have to be in town, they are confined to the inside of the van and only the windows are open.

I was amazed at how cool it was be in the van with the reflective tarp and sunscreen, and windows open. I check on them frequently and provide water, park in the shade when I can, etc.

I generally only do this at trials but I did want to endorse Julie's suggestions. Use of crates like Julie's (rather than ties) would make this much more safe.

I do use dog seat belts when driving although I agree that a secured crate is probably the safest option.