BC Boards

Could my dog have Border Collie origins?

Hi, I'm writing in from Italy where I live though I'm from the UK. Browsing over the net looking for info about Border Collie dogs, I found this forum. There are some fantastic photos of your dogs on here, many compliments to the proud owners.

About eight months ago, I found a puppy that some disgusting being had closed inside a bag and thrown out as if it was rubbish. I have never owned a dog but I kept it as I couldn't find it a decent home. The vet told me that Lillo was about two months old at the time and that it was a mongrel, small spitz mix-up that would not reach 20 pounds as an adult.

Here he is as a puppy, with a spotted pink and black nose!

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv47/LEILA661/IMG_0088_zpsfe0326fe.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo IMG_0088_zpsfe0326fe.jpg"/></a>[/img]

And here at 4 months old.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv47/LEILA661/Lillo4mesieungiorno_zps897a4d96.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo Lillo4mesieungiorno_zps897a4d96.jpg"/></a>[/img]

Lillo is now 10 months old, weighs in at 30 pounds and looks nothing like a spitz dog. I live in the countryside so we go for long walks. I can only let him off the lead when there are no sheep around, as he does everything in his power to get into their field and round them up. He also chases cars and is not 'car aware'. He does, however, get to run free regularly. He has some 'strange' habits that I haven't seen in dogs before. If we're playing 'fetch' , after a while if he sees I'm holding a toy, he will sort of 'sneak up' on me, from a distance. He changes completely when he does this. He walks slowly in a very elegant way, as though his legs have gone soft, looking slightly from side to side blinking his eyelids as if he doesn't care, and he creeps up to the toy. When he's close enough, he dives on it! He's very intelligent. If I 'bark' once, he does. If I do it twice or three time, he does too!

Anyway, here are some photos. He has a very hairy skirt and neck, a very bushy tail, but he's white with sable ears and a mark on his rear. One eye has a black 'eye-liner' border, the other has a pink border.

In this area there are a lot of large white dogs used for sheep herding, I know Lillo is a mix. But could there be some border collie in him? It would be really unusual, because here in Sardinia there are not many of those. Thanks for any opinions!

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv47/LEILA661/lillonow_zps3261f3a2.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo lillonow_zps3261f3a2.jpg"/></a>[/img]

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv47/LEILA661/LILL_zpsb8aff5aa.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo LILL_zpsb8aff5aa.jpg"/></a>[/img]

Welcome! I have no idea what the background is on your dog but I can surely commend you for being caring and compassionate, and saving him. What kind of person would do that? Sadly, there are too many cruel and unkind people in the world, and many consider animals as nothing worthy of concern.

I am not familiar with dogs that are used to tend flocks in Italy, but the Maremma (a very large, generally white, very "fluffy" dog) is used as a livestock guardian dog in parts of Italy, where it originated in the northern parts of the country (if I remember correctly).

It might be easier to visualize how your dog acts if you could post some short video. Many of the Border Collie characteristics are predatory behaviors that have been modified over generations of breeding for a dog that would work in partnership with its handler. So, while a lot of how the dog acts/reacts can be characteristic of the Border Collie, some of that is also somewhat common among dogs engaging in predatory behaviors. A video might help.

There are others here who are much more capable of giving a guess as to his possible origins. There are Border Collies in Italy so it's a possibility.

Lillo is certain a very appealing and attractive dog, and very fortunate to have been found by someone like you! No matter what he is, he is 100% lucky! Very best wishes!

Hi.

Thank you so much for your reply and for your kind words and wishes. Thanks also for the idea of a video. Yes there are BC dogs in Italy, but I live on the island of Sardinia and here they are not very frequent, specially not in my area, so it would be unusual if Lillo did have a hint of BC. Not even Maremma dogs are used much in this area for herding as the local farms are all very small, thus the herds are easy to manage and don't travel much from one pasture to another. In reality I love my dog so much, that it wouldn't make any difference to me if he were an ET! I love all dogs but BC's are indeed very beautiful. Thanks again :)/>

If I had seen him at 4 months, I would have guessed lab or retriever mix, but his adult photo doesn't show that, obviously (which is why we often say it's so hard to guess about a puppy). He could have some sort of collie in him for sure. But maybe he's just a Lucky Dog to have had you stumble upon him and give him such a great life. Bless you for that. I'd love to see videos (and more photos) too!

J.

Thank you so much Juliepoudrier for your reply. While he was growing up in fact, it was fantastic to see the changes he went through, as with all dogs I imagine. I'm new to all this because I've never been lucky enough to have a dog before now. If I'd known then what I was missing! Lillo turned up and I'm the lucky one :-)

Wow the photos of your dogs at the foot of your message are so beautiful, each one more beautiful than the next! Many compliments, they look happy, alert and so healthy.

Thanks again :)/>

In the photo attached he was 5 months old.

post-14612-092825000 1358780854_thumb.jpg

Maremmas are not used for "herding" as Border Collies are. Maremmas are guardian dogs. They stay with the flocks and will defend against predators, not assisting in gathering, moving, and controlling the flock. If there is no need for predator control (no foxes, wolves, predatory birds, or similar threats, including human predators), then it would be easy to see that there are few livestock guardian dogs where you are located.

This isn't much help, but a friend of mine (in the US) brought a dog back from her study abroad in your area, and he is built just like Lillo. Burger is black & white like a Holstein cow, not quite like a "traditional" Border Collie. While Burger has some traits that make some people think "Border Collie", to me, they're more like Spaniel or bird dog characteristics. Are there hunting-type dogs in your area?

Whatever he is, Lillo looks like he's living the good life! He's absurdly cute.

In the photo of him sleeping, my first thought was that he could have some spaniel in him. Hunting breeds can definitely exhibit stalking type behaviors that may mimick the movements of border collies. I also would guess maybe some livestock guardian breed is in there as well. He is such a cute dog and the coolest thing is that he is one of a kind. Both of you are so lucky. Sounds like a perfect match.

Thank you all for your replies, you're all very kind to dedicate some of your time to me and Lillo :-). Hunting dogs are quite popular in the area as here in Sardinia they practice wild boar hunting and hunting for other prey also. On hunting days I often see a lot of beagles and setters on their way to the open countryside in their owner's trucks. As guardian dogs for the sheep here, it's quite usual to see this large breed, which is known as a Fonnese (Fonni being a mountainous area of Sardinia)

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv47/LEILA661/fonnesu_zpsaffedfb4.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo fonnesu_zpsaffedfb4.jpg"/></a>[/img]

or German Shepherds, but around 80% of the guardian dogs are mixed breeds.

As I live in a small village where everyone knows each other (and their dogs)whoever abbandoned Lillo came from away to do so. As some of you have pointed out, he most probably has a good percentage of bird or hunting dog in him which would explain the 'creeping up and pouncing).

Many thanks again :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I know that breed! It´s a "cute" :P/>

I second that!!! And a very lucky dog as well!!!

You can get DNA testing done. My friend got it done on her dog just to see if it worked. It said what the dog was right. BUT I've had a few others do it and said that isn't what there dogs were. It can pick up genetic markers from its origins as well..... So might be worth a try. Here they are 75$ Canadian to get them done.

Good luck and I think he is a cutie!! I agree with the retriever or collie in that tail and those ears!!

Thank you for replying. I will talk to the vet about the DNA testing, merely because I love my dog and I want to know 'everything' about him.

:)/>

But be aware that you may still know no more than you can observe if you do pay out for a DNA test as they can be pretty inaccurate. Sometimes they will hit the nail on the head, others will be wide of the mark but you won't necessarily know which applies in your dog's case.

I have a dog that looks nothing like a terrier but 75% of her behaviour is terrier like. The other 25% is more whippety. For me her behaviour defines what she is, not what she looks like and not what a DNA might say, even if accurate. I have never been tempted to investigate further.

That's just one example - I've got/had other mixes that I identify by behaviour as much if not more than by appearance.

• 4 weeks later...

But be aware that you may still know no more than you can observe if you do pay out for a DNA test as they can be pretty inaccurate. Sometimes they will hit the nail on the head, others will be wide of the mark but you won't necessarily know which applies in your dog's case.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I will be taking Lillo to the UK next week, so will have a test done there. Meanwhile, here he is now at almost one year old. :)

Thanks again

post-14612-094518100 1361904576_thumb.jpg