BC Boards

Adverse reactions to generic fipronil (PetArmor)?

gcv-border

Last week I applied PetArmor (a generic version of Frontline available at Walmart) to 3 dogs. None of the dogs showed an adverse reaction.

Today I went into a vet's office to buy heartworm meds for my foster dog. I showed them her vet records to prove that she was negative for heartworm and the tech noticed that I had applied the PetArmor. She said that they caution their clients not to use Pet Armor because they have seen too many adverse reactions (from skin redness, facial swelling to death). I don't think they are cautioning people away from PetArmor just to sell Frontline because their Frontline prices are almost as low as purchasing PetArmor at Walmart. (They are a low-cost vet clinic attached on one of the local rescue groups.)

I have been searching the internet to find any reports of adverse reactions to the generic fipronil and have turned up very little. I did find that PetArmor has its generic fipronil manufactured in India. Also was able to find that while the fipronil patent expired (allowing for the generic equivalent to be manufactured and sold), the patent for the carrier is still active. Presumably the generic fipronil (PetArmor) is in a different carrier.

Has anyone had an adverse reaction when using generic fipronil? Have you heard of any problems with the PetArmor product?

Thanks,

Jovi

Heard from a Merial(makers of Frontline)rep that this product has been recalled. It is still on the shelves of Walmart because they have(I think)60 days to get it off the shelves. Mean time they can sell all they want of it.

They recalled it because of all the adverse reactions to the product and also the many complaints of it not working.

Also, now this is my understanding of what she said so don't take it as gospel.... but the company in India that makes the product is not liscensed to sell product in America but since it is owned by Walmart there is some loop hole that they work around.

You were correct is stating that fipronil is same ingredient in both products. But the carrier in Frontline is what makes it work and last so well.

If you have any more questions I can get you in touch with the Merial rep.

Heard from a Merial(makers of Frontline)rep that this product has been recalled. It is still on the shelves of Walmart because they have(I think)60 days to get it off the shelves. Mean time they can sell all they want of it.

They recalled it because of all the adverse reactions to the product and also the many complaints of it not working.

Also, now this is my understanding of what she said so don't take it as gospel.... but the company in India that makes the product is not liscensed to sell product in America but since it is owned by Walmart there is some loop hole that they work around.

You were correct is stating that fipronil is same ingredient in both products. But the carrier in Frontline is what makes it work and last so well.

If you have any more questions I can get you in touch with the Merial rep.

The recall information is false info. I tried to buy it one night at WalMart and they had taken it off the shelf due to this rumor. I checked it out with the manufacturer and it was a false rumor. The product was back at WalMart a few days later.

I would not be surprised if it results in a major lawsuit by the maker for whomever spread the rumor and actually got WalMart to pull the product for a few days. Major loss of sales and injury to business reputation.

The recall information is false info. I tried to buy it one night at WalMart and they had taken it off the shelf due to this rumor. I checked it out with the manufacturer and it was a false rumor. The product was back at WalMart a few days later.

I would not be surprised if it results in a major lawsuit by the maker for whomever spread the rumor and actually got WalMart to pull the product for a few days. Major loss of sales and injury to business reputation.

I saw a commercial for it last night and wondered about it after having read this thread.

Seriously, I wouldn't take as gospel anything a rep from the competition has to say about a product anyway. It's in the Merial rep's best interest to push potential customers away from the competition and over to their own product. I've had my own dealings with Merial reps back when Frontline first started failing for me and I have to say I was completely unimpressed with them.

And the comment about the carrier being what makes it work and last, well, for those of us for whom it quit working and doesn't last, that's not much of a selling point.

J.

Archived