BC Boards

Registration ABCA and AKC

RemsMom

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty is as pretty does, and often, the working border collie isn't all that pretty. Not until he is in his element, on his sheep and three hundred years of heritage are on the move and it suddenly renders him beautiful.

Hear, hear.

There were a ton of very well bred litters in the northeast this spring. Most people are focused on work and trials right now. The next wave of pups will likely be this winter and next spring. Best place to hunt for a pup in your area is the NEBCA handlers tent on Facebook. Have you contact the Millens at Fetch Gate Farm?

I just saw a pedigree of a dog advertised as working and looking back (suspicious of some of the names) noticed well known GB colour/show breeder and an American who dual registers and does some conformation showing and trials. Unfortunately often unless you know the people it can be easy to buy into dual registered/show lines.

• 2 weeks later...

On this topic today a friend showed me the pedigree of a pup they were looking at. I noticed the maternal grandmother was ROM (impressive, right?!) then I noticed the sire of said ROM was a CH-yup that's right an AKC full fledged CH. Now, the litter said dam was out of was whelped Dec of 2003 so might have squeaked under the wire. But I doubt the pups were registered even with the AKC until after 2004. Am I correct on this?

• 3 months later...

We would at least as individuals do well to consider joining forces with >all< the dog regestries in the fight against silly legislation. It is insidious.

"They came for the bully breeds, but I didn't care cos I didn't have one"

"They came for the guarding breeds but I didn't care cos I didn't have one"

"They came for the big dogs but I didn't care cos I didn't have one"

When they come for the herding dogs, there will be no one left to care.

I have no interest in joining forces with the ACK.

Aside from their raison d'être being completely antithetical to preserving working border collies as the dogs they were developed to be and the complete distortion of their version of the breed, they haven't exactly done much of anything constructive for the protection of dogs in general.

In fact, I'd argue quite the contrary, considering the deplorable health issues so many purebred dogs have.

I have no interest in joining forces with the ACK.

Aside from their raison d'être being completely antithetical to preserving working border collies as the dogs they were developed to be and the complete distortion of their version of the breed, they haven't exactly done much of anything constructive for the protection of dogs in general.

In fact, I'd argue quite the contrary, considering the deplorable health issues so many purebred dogs have.

And again, right!

Agree with all the latest. The differences between ACK registered border collies and ABCA working dogs are frequently so visible and notable that there is nothing I'd want to "join forces" AKC about.

The paraphrased quote used by Mr. Jbridges is based on one related to apathy in the face of Nazi atrocities and while I'm sure he's well-meaning and while I do not agree with breed-specific legislation, I don't see any benefit to the working border collie whatsoever in joining forces with the ACK. We as individuals can speak out against BSL just fine without getting in bed with a registry under whose auspices great harm has been done to many formerly useful breeds.
Respectfully,

Gloria

Dear Doggers,

Mr Bridges writes:

When they come for the herding dogs, there will be no one left to care.

But the American Kennel Club already came for a number of once useful Stockdogs, called them "herding" dogs so they could be judged as a class at conformation shows and awarded titles as if canine royalty. In the process, of course, they destroyed what stockworking abilities these breeds had, ignored and in some cases encouraged genetic defects and homogenized them into one breed: dogs that can be valued in the show ring.

It's hard for me to imagine what legislatures might do to my dogs that would be worse than what the AKC has already done to collies, Barbie collies, and German Shepherds.

Donald McCaig

I completely agree with you Donald.

I just wanted to add; Before I came to this site I had no issues with the AKC, and did not realize the harm they had done to many fantastic breeds. To me border collies were border collies, but after seeing the beautiful working dogs on this site and the fluid grace with which they herd compared to the AKC collie I too believe they are an entirely different breed.

Honestly I had no idea border collies could even have a smooth coat, because they aren't 'breed standard' with the AKC. My image of a border collie; I'm ashamed to say; had been tainted by the AKC. Even now I get asked why I did not buy my border collie from an AKC breeder, because so many people still see that as the gold standard. Thanks to the people on this site I now know better and will never own another AKC dog.

It's not that AKC/show Collies are bad dogs and we don't dislike the dog, but don't fool yourself into thinking they are the original border collie. They are a breed all their own, but what they represent is the reason these boards do not agree with or promote them.

Of course not, YOUR dogs don't have large, blocky heads.

Whatever one may think about the AKC (and I am not fond of them, either), they have opposed BSL with a vengence.

When the dumbass politicians put BSL on the table in my state, my first email always goes to the AKC.

Ironic, isn't it?

It's hard for me to imagine what legislatures might do to my dogs that would be worse than what the AKC has already done to collies, Barbie collies, and German Shepherds.

Donald McCaig

It's a tough moral choice. But being on the same side of an issue does not mean that you should support that team, or necessarily 'join forces' with them. Doing so with the AKC might give your issue some credibility and power behind it, yes, but it also gives them some credibility too. I might be pro-animal-welfare but I would never describe myself as 'joining forces' with Peta.

There are other options between going with the AKC and 'saying nothing when they come for the dogs with blocky heads'. Why not rally other groups, oppose them separately, or accept that you're working on the same issue but that you are not necessarily partners?

I agree with Simba, Mr. McCaig, and others who are not willing to "join forces" with organizations that are known to do great damage to dogs, in order to combat BSL or anything else. While it is true, as Blackdawgs says, that the AKC has vast resources, so do we. The vast majority of people who own pit bulls and rottweilers do not show their dogs and are not part of the AKC. The majority of dog lovers....the majority of people, period....in this country are not aligned with the AKC. Doesn't mean we don't have some power we can exert if we join together to fight something that is wrong and unfair.

Nope, it's not joining forces, but it is an attempt to get groups of people with a common interest via their association with AKC equally informed. I can tell you first hand, you don't want the other AKC breeders and dog owners to be working against you when it comes to legislation, when I say other I'm talking about all the ones that don't have border collies but have other breeds.

The government relations department can be used in the favor of dog breeding and ownership in general. A few years back AKC was not on the same wave length here in IA and ended up providing their members with incorrect information in regard to pending legislation in our state. By keeping them posted and feeding them updates as they happened this past session it allowed accurate information to be relayed on setting up a common front that the AR groups are still trying to recover from. They quite frankly didn't expect nor prepare for the pushback from so many dog breeders in our state. We worked to bring everyone together, even if it was only for a moment in time.