29 replies to this topic

#21 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:54 AM

alligande,

Thanks for the extra information!

LOL on Rievaulx (sp?) whining. I totally understand.

I am now on Anne's FB page so am hoping that when the next class starts, she will announce it there, and I can sign up (and hopefully I will see her notification).

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#22 alligande

alligande

• Registered Users
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:00 AM

alligande,
LOL on Rievaulx (sp?) whining

Perfect spelling. I will try to remember to post on here when I see the next class offered. With all the interaction I have with her I know it will show up in my feed. Plus if you have a working spot in the first class you are guaranteed a working spot in the next level.

#23 alligande

alligande

• Registered Users
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:34 PM

New video to share, we started working on turns today. Anne made sure he fully understood the criteria of a front paw on the target before we were told we could move on to this stage. You can see the target is now smaller it is now 1/4 size of the contact zone. There are no verbals used yet.
There is the choice of working with the the MM or a dead toy, with a dead toy Fens failure rate is much higher and he starts to shut down when I call him off, so we are working on that skill at home with regular tricks and play. He will need it for the advanced class.
She would like to see more speed from him, but I think the way he learns the speed will come with confidence, it has with everything else. Her way of teaching certainly suits a thinking dog as they really have to understand the criteria versus some of the other methods of training RCs.
https://youtu.be/ZPtQ6aTlbmE

#24 alligande

alligande

• Registered Users
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:16 AM

Our intro running contact course continues and I still really like Anne Lenzs approach. I always knew that teaching RCs was a commitment but now I am working through the process I would discourage someone from attempting it if they were not committed to almost daily training and having lots of patience. I think my decision to attempt running contacts will delay the start of Fens competition career as I won't compete until he understands the criteria and I suspect that is a good few months away. We started training the course 11 weeks ago (technically it's an 8 week course but the time has been extended due to Anne's traveling time) and we are still working with a board on the floor.
In comparison in 3 months I would have been able to train a decent 2o2o. I have also not continued working with the seesaw as Anne's advice is wait on using a stop until the running criteria is solid.

#25 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for the update - and the advice re: time commitment.

Interesting about the advice to not train a stop until the RC is solid. IIRC, Polana [Sylvia Truman's former student, now an agility trainer too] recommended the opposite (but my memory may well be mistaken).

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#26 alligande

alligande

• Registered Users
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:53 AM

Jovi, her advice was not, not to teach a stop first, but to finish training the running before introducing the stop if he already stopped that would have been fine, basically don't do them at the same time.  I had started introducing the seesaw before starting the course, my youngster is a late developer and I wanted to be sure his growth plates were closed before I started on the seesaw but he we had not progressed beyond him running over it with a slight tip. 

I have seen a couple of dogs in the group struggle to transition away from 2o2o, my youngster who has only ever been taught the position and had briefly been introduced to it on equipment defaulted to a 2o2o when he was confused by what was wanted. 

I think if I do end up with a stopped position after all this training it will be solid as he really understands run to the end of the board and I suspect will transition quickly.

#27 mum24dog

mum24dog

• Registered Users
  • 2,949 posts
  • Interests:Agility.<br />Clicker training.

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:27 PM

One of the most consistent performers in the country with BCs, cockers and a Malinois teaches both RCs and 2o2o at the same time as separate exercises.

#28 alligande

alligande

• Registered Users
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:52 AM

One of the most consistent performers in the country with BCs, cockers and a Malinois teaches both RCs and 2o2o at the same time as separate exercises.

I am sure it is possible but I suspect like all things it depends on the skill of the trainer, the dogs learning style and if the equipment is in your garden. I personally feel there is a limit to what I can teach successfully and thoroughly without overloading my young man, by the time I get to my next dog I might be up for teaching more skills at the same time! He is currently learning RCs, handling and we started on weave poles last week. I go to my club early most weekday mornings and I am there for about 30 minutes, working with both my dogs, young one does some contact training and short sequences working on his skills and the older one is just polishing his skills and mine. At home we do two quick sessions on 2x2s.

#29 Heartful

Heartful

• Registered Users
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:48 PM

I have started to audit Anne's foundation course and look forward to learning a new game. How do you feel your dog's understanding has evolved? 

Tell me and I forget, teach me an I remember, involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin

#30 alligande

alligande

• Registered Users
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:02 AM

I have started to audit Anne's foundation course and look forward to learning a new game. How do you feel your dog's understanding has evolved? 

Sorry I haven't been on the boards for awhile, Fen started knowing nothing about running contacts and he had never been on equipment, the only thing he had was an understanding of the 2o2o position so his learning curve has been huge. He is a thinking dog and so this technique is working very well for him.
We are now into the second class and his learning continues well, he is getting faster as he gets confidence, and maintains an understanding of the criteria most of the time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.