BC Boards

Are regular tennis balls the same as doggy tennis balls?

Hi,

I find that the cost for "regular" tennis balls at Dick's Sporting Goods, Walmart, etc. are way less expensive than those sold at Petsmart and other pet stores. Is there any difference between them? Do regular tennis balls have some scary toxins or something that dog balls don't?

As far as I can tell, yes! Ru's reward when he is training is a tennis ball so we go thru alot at my house! I find that the "wilson" brand are a good, tough ball. I can usually find a bag of 10 for about $7.99. This usually last us about a month. :rolleyes:

Hi there

I think they are similar however, I was told that tennis balls are like emery boards for the dog's teeth. You may want to do a search on these boards to find out more. I know my one ball fanatic has some seriously ground down teeth, as I didn't realize it until she was older (things I wish I had know earlier!) Now adays she doesn't get tennis balls, just smooth balls made of less abrasive material.

Sara

Dog toys are freakishly expensive though aren't they? especially at the rate my one goes through them, her nick name is the "evicerator" ;p

Actually, it's my understanding they ARE different. The regular tennis balls has some sort of substance on the outside that will wear down the enamel on your dog's teeth - it's what makes your dog's canine teeth get shorter and not pointy. But the doggy balls do not that substance or w/e it is on it is what I understand. I have switched to doggy ones, just in case. I buy the 10 pack carry bag (Tuff Balls brand) at Petsmart. I pretty much only use my tennis balls in the chuck-it and even have a pair of the rubber chuck it balls to switch with. We rarely loose our tennis balls.

Of note, I also have a couple of the mini doggy tennis balls (Tuff Balls) that we use in agility class. They fit nicely in my apron pouch I wear to carry treats and it's a great 'run faster' motivator for River because at the end of a sequence she gets to either chase it or we play 'catch' with it.

As an avid tennis player, I can assure you that every neighborhood tennis court in your area is loaded with free tennis balls. Even most semi-serious players open up a new can of three balls every time they play, and throw out the old ones.

If these tennis balls are used as toys in a game of fetch, there's little chance of long-term wear. The dog picks up the ball, brings it back to you, and drops it. I just don't let them serve as chew toys. The texture is rough enough, and the balls are hard enough, so that will erode the teeth. So after the game is over I pick 'em up and serve as the keeper of the balls.

If these tennis balls are used as toys in a game of fetch, there's little chance of long-term wear. The dog picks up the ball, brings it back to you, and drops it. I just don't let them serve as chew toys. The texture is rough enough, and the balls are hard enough, so that will erode the teeth. So after the game is over I pick 'em up and serve as the keeper of the balls.

It also depends on the individual dogs teeth. My dog has significant tooth wear from games of fetch with a tennis ball. Any dirt that gets picked up on the ball adds to the abrasive effect. I've switched to solid rubber balls which don't wear her teeth.

There is definitely a difference. Sammie can "skin" a doggie tennis ball in one fell swoop. It usually takes him several months to do real damage to a regular one. In fact, he can tell the difference by scent. He doesn't usually bother Speedy's regular tennis balls, but if I end up bringing home a doggie tennis ball for some reason, he will immediately snatch it up and skin it.

I also buy normal tennis balls. They go the same amount of days and I can get 3 balls for $1, where if I bought "dog" tennis balls they're a couple bucks a ball. Riven doesnt eat them though, I dont know if theres a difference like if they were to eat a piece of it or not.

I also like rubber balls, once I get past the nasty saliva lol.

The "doggy" balls I got from Petsmart break in two after about 10 fetches. Regular tennis balls last forever. I also added a bunch of rubber balls from Petsmart because of what I read about the abrassivness of tennis balls. Mine doesn't chew them, just tosses them ad infinitum.

Black Jack doesn't like tennis balls all that much. He does like to play and and chase 'em but he doesn't like to chew on them. I use the tennis balls from K-mart and cut two holes in them, thread some nylon rope through it and Whal La, a toy! Plus they're only $1.59 for three balls. He does like to chew on the doggie ball I got him. I don't think it's as hard on he's teeth, maybe that's why he'll chew on that one and not the other kind.

So do the Kong tennis toys have that stuff on them? I wouldn't think so. He really likes all of those toys :rolleyes:

Even just playing fetch with regular tennis balls wore down Fergies teeth badly. No way does she get one now, even though I'm about as mingy a Yankee as you'll ever find. The benefit of cheap or even free tennis balls doesn't cover the cost of crowns when the wear gets to the toot's root. We caught it in time, luckily.

I bought a couple of doggie tennis-type balls at PetsMart over 5 years ago. They may have to get laundered once a year, but they're still going strong. She used to peel the regular tennis balls within a month.

She also has, thanks to a neighbor, two racquet balls. She loves them because they really bounce well. So well, in fact, that one got away from her (when she chases, she sort of bats the ball with her nose) and rolled into the culvert under a driveway. We had to wait for a good rain to wash it up and over the leaves at the lower end.

Usher eats through those cheapies at the dollar store. Tears the skin right off of them. I wait until yard sales start and if you are lucky, you can find a home across the street from a tennis court and get tons of them for real cheap. I had a giant bag. The real tennis balls are great. Racket balls last forever.