BC Boards

How often do your border collies go potty?

SS Cressa

At home neither of my dogs want to go outside much. For example yesterday i worked 4p-10p came home neither dog wanted to go out. Around midnight they were fed and offered again to go out both refused. Offer again before i went to bed neither went outside. Got up around 7:30a when i basically made them go outside where they did finally potty. Went to work 8-3 and didnt get home till 5:30. Try to let them out and both turn their nose up. They have gone 12 hours without wanting to go out. Which makes me curious how often do other dogs go potty while at home?

Should also say on hikes or camp trip or hotel they will potty/go outside every couple hours(or whenever i offer). Will be going to the beach in a little bit and i can guarantee that both dogs will go both potty a couple of times. But when we get home they probably wont go outside again till tomorrow sometimes.

They arent sick and their urine is proper color not a strong smell and the poop is good so i am not that concern just curious as to how other border collies go.

My dogs typically go out every 4-5 hours when they spend the day in the house. They will pee every time. They could hold it longer, but there's no need and Meg is incontinent (pees in her sleep...takes Prion to help prevent it) so the more often she pees the less likely I'll have a mess to clean up.

I don't think its good for them to hold it for 12+ hours. I'd probably shove them out the door at 6-8 hours and not let them back in until they've emptied their bladders.

Good question, and timely!

Yesterday, I walked my dog as usual (got home around 7 a.m.) and then went to visit my friend in the mountains. Since I knew I was going to be gone about 14 hours, I had my sister come over and feed Buddy and then let him out. (He generally won't go for a walk even with people he loves if I'm not home. Go figure.)

Well, my poor sister called to report that Buddy refused to go out when she tried to let him. About 5 p.m. After being home for 10 hours. He lay under the table in his "safe place." When I got home at 9:00, I let him out, and he peed a long time.

Some days, if it's been a long time since he's gone out, I'll try to force Buddy outside, but he Will Not Go unless he decides it's important to him. (Good smells outside, or tracks of an animal who's passed by.) He generally saves his peeing for marking trees when we go for a walk, when he can "go" as many as 50 times in a single walk.

So, it varies greatly by dog. Can't make him go if he doesn't have to go.

Mary

Dear Doggers,

Important when traveling for weeks motel to motel. Most sound sheepdogs will poop once a day, a few morning and evening. Most pee opportunely and for doggy aestehtics but all should get that opportunity every six hours except overnight when 10 hours is fine.

They longest my dogs have had to hold both was 14 hours - US to Paris but I once forgot a guarddog in our solar room and she was in for closer to sixteen w/o mishap.

Infections are common in bitches and may make them incontinent. My dogs have water available 24/7 are on a regular wakeup and bedtime and mostly regular exercise. I think that helps.

Donald McCaig

Lewie generally asks to go out only 2 or 3 times a day to urinate, if that. I encourage more frequent elimination. He defecates generally twice a day.

I just took in a friend's female for a week while he was out of town. I noticed she urinated much more frequently than Lewie but she also drank more water. She defecated less frequently, maybe once every other day. The difference may be due to their food. My friend feeds his dog a grocery store brand that looks hideous. I'm a big snob when it comes to Lewie's food. I won't let him touch some of the stuff manufacturers put out.

I'm sure there isn't a rule of thumb for elimination. You just need to take note about what is "normal" for your dog(s).

Mine go out in the morning on our first walk, they then hold it all day until I get home and they go on our evening walk and then we either go for a final short walk before bed or they are just let out to pee before bed. Right now I am theoretically gone from just before 8AM to until just before 5PM as I work quite close to home, though I am often late getting home because I tend to stay late at work, but we take our morning walk before 6AM so that's when they 'go.' My previous job was over an hour away, so they held it from 6AM (our morning walk) to somewhere after 6PM (when I arrived home to take them out again), and they didn't seem to have any more difficulty with this than with my current schedule. Sometimes, if it's raining or cold out, Mr. Woo will simply poke his nose through the door and then refuse to go out to pee, even if it's been hours and hours.

I am right now fostering the most ridiculous excuse of a "dog", a 3 lb "PomChi," and while small dogs are supposed to be notoriously difficult to housebreak, she goes twice a day if I'm lucky.

RDM

Mine go first thing in the morning when we get up, and then I take them out for a second trip after they eat breakfast. Some of them don't like to poop and pee in the same trip. :blink: Some of them will go again before I leave for work around 8:15ish am, but some won't. They'll go again when I get home around 6pm. From 6 to bedtime they have free reign of the doggie door, but I've found that usually they won't go again until bed time. If I'm home all day they'll go more, but often I think they just go outside to graze on the grass and pounce on grasshoppers. Most of mine are 2xday poopers, though most of the time Linc is a 1xday'er.