BC Boards

sunscreen for pink snout?

My Kit has a pink/white snout above her black nose. Very cute, but the hair there is thin and the pink skin shows through and tends to get sunburned. I am looking for a sun screen that would stay on there throughout the day even if she licked her nose. I worry about her nice pink snout when it peels.

Anyone used something good for this?

--D'Elle

When Fergie was young and had a pink square on her nose, we were heading to the North Carolina Outer Banks for a week. Our vet said to use a black marking pen on the pink square to avoid sunburn. She said that Ferg would lick zinc oxide off and that sunscreens were not something she should be allowed to lick.

It did work well.

Ask your vet if it's still OK.

What about those mineral foundations that are powder... you could get some in a close color and brush that on...(Ok... so it comes in dark colors too for those with darker noses.)It might stay longer and while it is not a block.. it is a screen but not sure how strong of a screen. It wouldn't be annoying or tasty like a cream or ointment, or butter would be...

When Fergie was young and had a pink square on her nose, we were heading to the North Carolina Outer Banks for a week. Our vet said to use a black marking pen on the pink square to avoid sunburn. She said that Ferg would lick zinc oxide off and that sunscreens were not something she should be allowed to lick.

It did work well.

Ask your vet if it's still OK.

Yeah, I did that also with my first BC Cheyenne, but that was on her nose....the actual nose as such. It does work just great. This is on Kit's snout just above her nose where she has white hair, but the hair is very thin there and not enough to protect her pink skin.

The mineral foundation isn't a bad idea, actually, if I found some in white. But I don't know that they would make it in white. I did think of zinc oxide, but afraid it wouldn't be good for her if it got licked off.......... I am always putting a calendula ointment on it to keep the skin there moisterized, and that's nothing bad if she licks it; ditto coconut oil, but she adores coconut oil so I don't use that, as she will just go nuts trying to lick it all off! :rolleyes: Wish there were something made especially for dogs.

Non toxic, hard to lick off, SPF 100.

--D'Elle

Ouzo has the same problem - white above his nose - after the sunburn and peeling incident last summer I've been using Coppertone Water Babies with SPF 100.

This is his nose healing, wearing L'Oreal sunscreen.

4872870128_0f3cd76715_m.jpg

Archived