BC Boards

handling systems

PennyT

I would prefer galvanize components over painted ones.

I would prefer aluminum components over steel.

solidfolddown-sm.jpg

8' solid fold down panel (steel vs aluminum)

65lbs ($170) vs. 25lbs ($215)

If I have to move it a lot, lighter is better.

If it will stay set-up in the same location, galvanized is better than painted (even better than powder coat).

Pratley made in NZ or AU...FEAKING spectacular...but way way expensive

Two or three producers have them here. For $10K you can get a sorting system that goes on a trailer and you can haul it around. WE;ve thought about it for our club...but not in the cards right now

Cynthia

I saw a Pratley in use around 10 or 15 years ago. It was impressive and mobile but did not seem to be lightweight. I am under the impression that 10k is quite low for the system.

Mark, are you thinking that Premier is about the only way to go for aluminum? In a brief look, Premier was the only U.S. company I saw with components a 60 year-old woman could cart around herself.

Penny

I have a system from Sydell. I have a scale and a tilt table to trim hooves(really saves on my back). Yes it is all steel so much heavier than aluminum, but its what I could afford. Mine is set up in the barn so I never have to move it. I am not a big person, but if need be I can move the panels by myself, heavy yes, impossible no. Our stockdog club has a D-S system, again steel but very sturdy, makes sorting sheep easy. I do believe D-S offers galvanized panels. I know there are other manufactures of handling systems but these are the two I have personal experience with and both function very well. I recommend that if you do decide to get a system, get some drop/fold down panels, they give you easier access to the sheep.

Samantha

Penny,

D-S Livestock makes some aluminum equipment and now all their steel equipment is hot dipped galvanized. We have a scale from them which I like. D-S is our preferred equipment company since Sheepman Supply stocks it (30min from home) and D-S is <2hrs from home which saves on shipping costs.

The equipment from Premier is galvanize steel, the solid panels are corrugated to increase strength while using thinner (lighter) steel.

Mark

Cynthia, how old and how strong are you? That sounds rude, doesn't it? I'm trying to assess how fit you are. My knees are shot and my back is not far behind.

Also where did you buy the Pratley? I think I remember seeing that there was a place somewhere in the midwest.

Penny

My back and knees are fine (I am knocking on wood) but I fit into your age bracket.

My handling system is steel and the longer components are heavy and somewhat awkward. What I have found over the years is you adapt methods of moving things, be it hay, handling equiptment, etc. You learn to use leverage a lot.

My suggestion is to find a sheep show that is close and look at the equipment that the vendors bring in.

You may also see if there are people with systems close to you that you can look at and possibly see if you can move parts of the systems.

I personally do not like any panels that are made with tubing . I found that cattle trash the tubular panels, but the square or " U" has held up for years.

Good luck,

Suki

How old and strong...not rude at all :)

46 and strong enough, but typical aches and bad back, and sore shoulder.

The Pratley systems I've used are super light. At home we have home made cedar panels and I struggle with those. My younger and stronger husband helps me if we need to move our panels around.

The limiting factor for us buying a Pratley system is our bank account

Archived