BC Boards

Pine sap in dog fur . . .

We had our pine trees trimmed and now we have pine sap dripping into our dogs fenced yard. Of course, its getting onto the dogs fur. :mad: Does anyone know of something that will get this nasty stuff out of their fur. I really, really don't want to cut it out. I have tried rubbing alcohol, but it seems to dry out the hair.

Any help I can get would be great.

Thanks.

Folks, peanut butter works great for getting out tree sap. You work it in with your fingers and let it dry - works like magic. Then you can either wipe it off, brush it out or give a bath. The best thing is that the dog can lick it off and it won't hurt the dog. I always keep a small jar of cheap peanut butter on hand for this. Mineral oil, baby oil or vegetable oil will work also. I like the peanut butter because it stays where you put it.

Plain ole laundry powder (like Tide) can get it out, pretty easily. I got that stuff ALL over my car and after months of experimenting laundry detergent got it out. Try making a solution of it and removing it a spot at a time. Good luck!

BEFORE A BATH you can use a bit of W/D40 to remove the pine sap. You could dpray some on a gauze square or rag and rub the stuff away, then bathe well to remove the whole mess. I hesitate to suggest it for the obvious "not meant for animals" truth of it, but truly, I have used it on dogs and horses prior to washing and never sickened one yet.

Another idea is mayonaisse. I don't think I've tried it on my dog's yet, but I've used in on my own feet and my daughter's after walking down to the lake at my mom's cottage. There are drippy white pines all over there and it's impossible to get to the lake without walking in some.

You might try any oil - like veg. or olive oil and work it in good. We use it to groom our wool breed sheep to help break up the dirt - also adds more oil to the fleece.

Dawn dish detergent works wonders for most things - fortunately, that's one mess I've never had, but it did get something oily/greasy that a cat had gotten into - and Dawn is the best brand I've ever found for that. Good for cleaning spots on clothes and about anything else too.

Good luck - I feel for you - I thought my kids were good at getting messy - I need a way to eliminate stick tights from our property - but it's not going to happen. The more I pull out of the dogs' coats, the more they get into the next time.