BC Boards

does orijen have too much protein?

Hi

I have been feeding my dogs orijen which contains 40% protein is this too much?

Any other foods you would recommend? Just got back from a clinic and was told my dogs

run slower because they are fat and every one said the problem is the 40% protein?

Maybe i am just feeding them too much. Just wanted to se what your opinions are?

Hi

I have been feeding my dogs orijen which contains 40% protein is this too much?

Any other foods you would recommend? Just got back from a clinic and was told my dogs

run slower because they are fat and every one said the problem is the 40% protein?

Maybe i am just feeding them too much. Just wanted to se what your opinions are?

Actually I've thought that the higher protein would produce a leaner dog with more stamina! I would

think that perhaps the fat content of a food would have more to do with weight gain.

I recently switched Jedi to Blue Wilderness which has 42% protein. He's been on it

for 2 wks and I have noticed he has more energy and stamina already. He also looks forward to meals now

and I don't have to coax him to eat with a topper. Jedi is tall and lean at 45 lbs and he eats

2.5 cups a day. He has a rather high metabolism. Cadi eats only one cup a day and she's 42lbs. She

has a crappy metabolism but she is also not a border collie.

Perhaps you are feeding too much. It depends on your dog. So I can't tell you how much is too much

You should be able to see a tuck at their waist from the side and a waistline looking from the top.

You should be able to feel their ribs with light to med. pressure

I switched from Canidae, with considerable grain, to grain-free Taste of the Wild, which is 32% protein, and my dog has gained weight. I've cut back the volume of food. Seems as though with this food, at least, more of the calories get into my dog's body.

Not a bad thing, either - the food is more expensive, but I have to feed less, so the cost ends up being about the same, I think.

Mary

Both of my dogs are on Orijen and both are doing great--in fact, one of them has only been able to keep weight on with a very high protein food like Orijen. if your dogs are fat, it's because you're feeding them too much. Both of my dogs (42lbs and 37lbs) eat 1 1/2 cups of Orijen a day.

which do you think is better TOTW or Orijen?

Taste of the Wild it processed by Diamond; therefore, I will not purchase it or feed it to my dogs. Orijen uses their own, Canadian, award winning factory and uses local ingredients. It is, in my opinion, the best dry dog food available. Dogs are carnivores who evolved to eat an almost exclusively meat based diet, which by definition is very high in protein. A diet that provides high quality protein is most suitable for them. Orijen has very little filler in comparison to a lot of dry dog foods so what is consumed per cup has more useful calorie content, so if you were feeding a certain amount of one kibble and switch to Orijen, you will need to feed less kibble per meal. Some of the "grain free" foods just substitute a lot of potato in place of grain, which although more hypoallergenic for a lot of dogs, is not any better, in my opinion. Orijen is probably the next best thing to a RAW or home cooked diet.

Best,

Jen

Flute, Enna, Fever and now Lava the red beastie.

Why not?

Diamond is a very large, very commerical processing plant where many brands of dog food, high quality and not are produced. They have had a multitude of recalls and problems over the years. I don't touch anything processed by that company.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10771943/ Year -2006

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10743413/ Year - 2006

http://www.aplus-flint-river-ranch.com/def...mond-recall.php Year 2007

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-news/diamond...ood-recall.aspx Year -2008

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/...blem/Page1.html Year - 2009

This is after a very quick Google search. I believe there were serious recalls before the whole Chinese ingredient based recall of a few years ago at Diamond. They are a very large processor.

It's a shame. I would like TOTW as some variety if it was processed somewhere else. I will use Fromm. Also a good food in my opinion and they adhere to very strict ingredient and processing guidelines.

Jen