BC Boards

Colour questions

onice

To produce red merles (or as you might call it, chocolate merle), than one parent must be chocolate right? (because it is reccesive gene?)

If the non merle parent is black and carrying the chocolate gene, will there be chocolate merles?

Say you want to produce both blue and chocolate merles, what is the recipe? (I am not a breeder, I am just wondering).

And would you say my dog has the white factored gene? And with ticking.

Her whole back is solid black so she´s not piebald?

38e5a2de-1734-4ef6-8478-682cc433371b.jpg

To produce red merles (or as you might call it, chocolate merle), than one parent must be chocolate right? (because it is reccesive gene?)

Either one parent must be red/chocolate and the other must carry the recessive gene for red/chocolate or both parents must carry the recessive gene for red (that is, you could have two B&W dogs produce a red puppy). To get merle at least one parent would have to be merle. To guarantee red merle puppies, you'd have to breed a red merle to a red dog. If you just want a chance of red merles then you could breed a merle who carries red to another dog who carries red (whether or not the red is expressed).

If the non merle parent is black and carrying the chocolate gene, will there be chocolate merles?

Only if the non-merle parent actually contributes that recessive b during the process (and of course the merle parent would have to contribute b as well)--it could contribute nothing but B, in which case, you wouldn't get chocolate merle puppies. Remember that what is donated by each parent doesn't exactly follow Mendelian genetics, but is more random....

Say you want to produce both blue and chocolate merles, what is the recipe? (I am not a breeder, I am just wondering).

You'd have to have a merle parent who carried the recessive red gene and the second parent would also have to carry the recessive red gene. If each contributes B, you would get a blue merle and if each contributed a b you'd get a red merle (if the merle parent also contributed the merle gene, M). Of course, since presumably the merle in question is not a double merle (MM) but instead is heterozygous (Mm), that dog could also contribute a non-merle gene instead of the merle gene, which would allow non-merle black/white and red/white puppies.

And would you say my dog has the white factored gene? And with ticking.

Her whole back is solid black so she´s not piebald?

Your dog does not appear to be white factored. Note that there's no white going up the inside of the stifle (can't really tell with the left hind, but it doesn't appear to come up over the stifle) or over the rump--hallmarks of white factoring. The gene that allows for a bald face is different than the one for white factoring. She does have minimal ticking.

J.

I am always asked what colour my dog is, no one belives she´s a Border Collie (yes, not very svilized dog culture in Iceland) and I just want to have the colour name so if someone asks I can just tell them to google :rolleyes:

And thanks for the merle info, I get it now:)