BC Boards

A big sigh of relief

Today was Black Jack's vet appt. for his four week check up on his shoulder. I was hoping that he was all healed up so he didn't have to have surgery on it. I took him in and Dean (the vet) looked him over, did all his tests and said that he really healed up nicely. There was no pain in his shoulder anymore, plus he didn't feel anything abnormal in there so no x-rays this time :D I was really happy. I didn't want him to have to go through all that. He can start chasing things a little at a time now. He can't wait. I can't either. I have been wanting to throw his ball for about three weeks :D I even bought a new toy for him. You pull it's tail out, throw it and the tail snaps back into it's um.... well butt so it goes farther out :rolleyes: He hasn't seen it yet.

The vet also said that I did a good job by catching that with the meds, and was glad I put two and two together. He said it very well could have been the Rimadyl, since it's such a strong anti-inflammatory. He said it could have been messing with his brain a little or something like that. But he's pretty much his normal self today. Watched a movie while laying on my chest, and even gave me enough kisses to make up for the last few days. I'm just really happy tonight. Life is good when it's going some what smooth :D

That's great for both of you! I'm so happy for you two. I'm sure Blackjack wouldn't have liked surgery that much. So wonderful he got out of it. Hope he continues to be his normal self!

Good news! I'm glad you're both back to just bein' a boy and his dog.

Be sure to work him up to full-on playing slowly. You'll be glad you didn't ramp up too fast, I promise you. I hark back to when Daisy was new, and I actually counted the number of tosses she fetched, increasing the number day by day. Had to, or she'd overdo and go lame on us. We're past all that now, and glad of it.

That's what I have been doing. I count every throw each day to make sure that I don't let him play to much. Then slowly add a throw once or twice a day. I don't want to go through that again, at least for a while.

He told me to try him on asprin if he gets sore and see how he does with that. Hopfully he won't need it though.

I'm thrilled to hear everything is going smoothly. I understand your worry perfectly...I've been going through a lot of it myself lately. Wonderful news and I'm sure he'll be overjoyed with his new toy!

I missed the original posts on this thread. My dog had an overuse injury coming up on his second b-day that was a big scare... we were into agility training and herding lessons. He had a full set of x-rays, rest and rimadyl for three weeks. The biggest problem was the kids playing ball with the dog. They loved to see him jump up and flip after the tennis ball over and over. Needless to say the constant body slams were too much. I never realized they were playing so hard with him until I caught them showing him off to friends one day. We gave up on agility and just practice farm work now. He will be four yrs old soon and hasn't had any more shoulder problems, even after being "rolled" by a ewe now and then. I had almost forgotten the whole incident. Glad your dog is doing OK.