Photo

Teaching manners with toys

28 replies to this topic

#21 RcknR

RcknR

• Registered Users
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:06 AM

Freezing a kong.. now THAT is a wonderful idea. I'm going to go try it right now. LOL

I think she knows cats are a no-no, but it is kind of like, "OK mom, I will quit chasing them, but I must keep an eye on them to make sure nothing goes wrong that needs my assistance". So she stares, and stares, and will even walk behind them slowly in a non-threatening way, just staring. So I will work on this too as well as her toy obsession.

#22 Loretta

Loretta

• Registered Users
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:10 AM

I think the key with them (at least as far as I know) is to keep everything black and white. They are the masters of "the grey area" and are just too darn smart sometimes. The more black and white life is for them, the better. They are bred to deal with the grey side of life, and that is a wonderful trait....except when you are trying to outsmart them

I remember a quote from a clinic I went to "If everyone thinks that sheep are so stupid, why does it take the worlds smartest dog to work them?".....SO true

#23 Keith Ramsay

Keith Ramsay

• Registered Users
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 08:25 AM

Yeah... lots of excellent advice. It was someone on the BC Rescue borad that made a comment that I started doing and could not be happier.

Cheap throw rugs (I go to IKEA and get them for $5) work like a champ. Put them everywhere that you want the dog to have a space. Teach them to go to that target space and you are set.

I specifically remember the poster talking about how to subdue your dogs at dinner. Each dog has a rug, and gets a marrow bone that must remain on the rug. Off the rug=lose the bone. Easy. It took me 3 days to teach the dog that the bone stayed on the rug.

Now if I am in the kitchen and look at the freezer, angel heads for the rug. The marrow bones are great too... let the dog eat them and then repack and freeze them again with Penut butter or whatever you want. Renuable source, and they keep the teeth really clean. My dog had horrible tartar whn I got her and the bones have really helped that.

#24 Columbia MO

Columbia MO

• Registered Users
  • 305 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 11:40 AM

Keith,

Great idea about the rugs and bones. I'm considering feeding some "raw" bones, and the rug idea would be great for teaching the dogs they can't drag them all over the house. I don't have crates set up indoors (only in the car, plus folding crates for shows), and was wondering how I was going to keep all the blood off of the floor. That's good to know this is something that can be taught so quickly.

Columbia, MO

#25 RcknR

RcknR

• Registered Users
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:07 PM

Tonight I went to Petsmart, and got my dog a big orange ball with teeth grips, it has one single hole in it, for treats. I decided to fill the ball up with her kibble and let her wiggle it out for dinner. She loved doing it and it took her about an hour of playing before she was satisfied. My boyfriend thinks its not very nice to make her work that hard for her dinner, but she absolutely loved the challenge.

Thanks also to Keith about the rug idea. She already has several rugs so I will start arranging them in spots for her. .

#26 Rebecca, Irena Farm

Rebecca, Irena Farm

Together, We Can Move This Mountain

• Registered Users
  • 6,636 posts
  • Interests:Sheep (dairy), assistance dog (SD/full access and Emotional Service Animals), general training, stockdog trialing, dock diving, lure coursing, flyball

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:28 PM

RcknR - tell your BF it's good for her brain, like a toddler playing with blocks, to get her food out of a puzzle ball. Think of how much fun puppies in the wild get having to gnaw their meals off the bones the adults leave for them!

Definitely, about the whining. Don't chatter at her when she does that - one command, then correct her by removing her to her crate. Give her about one minute, then let her out with the toy in sight. Play, then say, "That's enough!" or whatever your toy-goes-bye-bye cue will be. Make it disappear. If she whines, say, quiet, then take her to her crate. Rinse, repeat. If she stays quiet and lets you go sit down or something, tell her what a great dog she is and pop a toy out of your pocket. Play and then have her go to her rug. Release her and play again.

Variety is the spice of a Border collie's life - but with the thread of consistency running through it (how's that for a mixed metaphor?).
Becca Shouse - Irena Farm, Semora, NC
Cord, Ted, Gus, Sam - plus Maggie, Zhi, Lynn, Jetta, Lu, Min, and Tully

Posted Image
http://irenafarm.blogspot.com/

#27 RcknR

RcknR

• Registered Users
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for tips Rebecca. Yes, I think its pretty mentally challenging for her to get her food out of the ball. She figured out a pattern.. pick up, toss, roll, treats. lol It gives her a nice quiet activity to do in the evening atleast!

#28 Miztiki

Miztiki

• Registered Users
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:31 PM

Originally posted by RcknR:
Tonight I went to Petsmart, and got my dog a big orange ball with teeth grips, it has one single hole in it, for treats.

One of these?

Posted Image

I think this particular ball is excellent, especially the way they designed the hole. I HIGHLY recommend it.

#29 RcknR

RcknR

• Registered Users
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:29 AM

YES! That's the one. She loves it. I didn't buy the treats that go with it (seemed expensive for such a small amount, knowing how fast she'd go through it) but I did buy her some type of milk bone treats and I also have put her kibble in it. She also loves just tossing it around playing.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.