BC Boards

Broke my crook!

Smalahundur

Okay it was a pretty cheap affair, all wood, steam bend, but still, I didn´t hit that hard...It snapped like a twig.

I wasn´t that happy with the thing anyway, after my first session in the rain the finish came off (what farmer/handler only works his sheep during sunny days?), and it had a pretty crappy ferule.

Oh well in the mean time I´ll join the local custom and use a piece of pvc water tubing (very difficult to break and water resistant :rolleyes: .

I am thinking about ordering a aluminum leg crook head, so I can renew the staff part when necessary.

Bummer- I have read that wooden handled crooks are always weak at one spot if they are carved. I guess you found the spot :( Or can actually straighten over time if exposed to heat/moisture? if bent wood.

I have This One & while it is too long for me (they all are) it seems pretty durable and quite useful. Not sure how shipping would work to you but they also carry the Colroy from the UK so you may be able to get it easier & cheaper too.

HTH,

Thanks for the tips, I looked at your links, and yes, fiberglass seems like a good strong option.

Shipping stuff to Iceland is no fun, apart from shipping costs you pay extra taxes over the article. But it is not impossible those kind of crooks are imported by farm stores here, I´ll look into it.

Being a woodworker I've thought about making crooks, especially after seeing the rough, router carved ones going for $250. <_< I have no need for one (at this time) so I haven't tried. I especially like the ones where the staff portion is made from a trimmed and polished straight limb rather than turned. For the crook, the trick would be to rough out an MDF template that you could lay over branch intersections and take advantage of natural grain direction changes.

My beloved wood crook, with which I went to the post for over 5 years, died a sudden and tragic death at this year's CBCA finals. The van door came down on its neck, and despite the best efforts of those attending, we were unable to save it.

I've ordered a new crook but in the meantime, I'm using a pink fibreglass wand that was purchased from BorderCollics Anonymous and modified just a little bit. Certainly can't be used for chores, but even top handlers find it acceptable to use for training and trialing tongue.gif

scott-lou.JPG

Now see Kristi, that's exactly what I'm afraid of! :blink: I wouldn't have bought a nice crook..too much $$ for me. Now that I have one I am afraid to use it. I'll probably keep it at home cuz I just do stupid things like leave it in the car during 90+ deg heat of FL summers.

It wasn't a super-expensive crook or anything. In fact, my friend carved it (whittled it? shaped it?) and it was the only crook I'd ever used. Quite a sad day when it died. It always stayed in the van without so much as a crook cover. All was good until CRACK. sad.gif

My new one isn't going to be super-fancy either. All wood, maybe $100 CDN. Hopefully it will be ready by the spring (you can't rush a stick maker). In the meantime, the Hello Kitty stick will have to do!

My beloved wood crook, with which I went to the post for over 5 years, died a sudden and tragic death at this year's CBCA finals. The van door came down on its neck, and despite the best efforts of those attending, we were unable to save it.

I've ordered a new crook but in the meantime, I'm using a pink fibreglass wand that was purchased from BorderCollics Anonymous and modified just a little bit. Certainly can't be used for chores, but even top handlers find it acceptable to use for training and trialing tongue.gif

scott-lou.JPG

I LOVE your "Hello Kitty" stock stick! I hope you don't object if I emulate it.

But I hafta ask... did you have blackmail in mind when you photographed Scott holding yours?

I LOVE your "Hello Kitty" stock stick! I hope you don't object if I emulate it.

But I hafta ask... did you have blackmail in mind when you photographed Scott holding yours?

The HK stick will sweep the trial fields of North America in 2012! Join the wave!

Of course Scott knows what happens to pics that I take. He is an awfully good sport about it too. smile.gif

Archived