BC Boards

Exercising your puppy

We have an 11 week old puppy who is not crazy about taking a walk, she just lays down on her tummy and gives you those sweet puppy eyes. It is so cute but I really want her to tire out so I can get some clothes folded! However, she does love a broom and will chase it for hours, I was just wondering whether anyone had any other ideas for young puppies to play and exercise. I don't mind dragging a broom up and down the yard but a change would be nice for a game or two! We do tug or war but she does tire of that easily!

Thank you!

11 weeks old is very young! You don't want to exercise her too much, she is growing a lot right now and that is probably also why she gets tired so easy. Nelson always loved playing with other puppies (if she has had all her shots) when he was that age. Nothing made him happier or more tired then an hour of puppy play a day. A kong filled with peanut butter or small soft veal bones are a good way to keep them busy when you'd like to get some stuff done.

Give her toys. Let her exercise herself. :) 11 weeks is too young to engage them in extended activity. Their bones are still growing and their endurance span is very short.

If she's not giving you time to fold laundry, give her toys and put her in an x-pen while you work. One of the things she MUST learn is that she can't demand things from you or command your time when SHE wants it. She can be in an x-pen near you, but the key to living with a happy, healthy border collie is teaching them to entertain themselves. Otherwise you end up with a little monster who pesters you all the time.

You can also engage her in brief training periods throughout the day. Get her started on Sit, Come, Stay and so forth - but only do it a couple times. Hide treats or toys at close distance and teach her to find them - then gradually hide them further away.

Plus you can put treats/goodies inside those red rubber Kongs and let her work to get the goodies out all by herself. Give her a small, semi-frozen raw bone and let her work on that. (First cutting all the excess fat and meat off.) Find toys that are interesting and intriguing to her - but also sturdy, not stuff she can chew up and swallow.

And definitely if you know anyone with puppies her age, take her for play dates! Just be really careful with any older puppies or dogs.

Best of luck!

Gloria

Beware encouraging the obsession over the broom. What's cute in a puppy can end up being extremely annoying in an adult, not to mention that she can transfer that obsession to other objects.

Tricks, mind games, puzzle toys, any sort of training exercises that make her use her brain will wear her out much faster than actual physical exercise. Pups do need a lot of sleep and if you train her to a crate or X-pen she will not only learn to settle (which will give you time to get your work done), but also that being confined isn't a a terrible thing. Stuffed kongs and other appropriate chew toys can keep her entertained while she's confined.

Beware doing any sort of sustained exercise with a pup that young. High-impact repetitive motion (jogging, super long leash walks that make her maintain a specific pace, especially if on hard surfaces like concrete) can damage growing puppy joint.

And of course we need to see pictures of the little cutie!

J.

Good advice from all. ^^^

I was also going to caution against playing with a broom as you described since you are probably building an obsessive behavior.

Redirect her to obedience tasks, trick training (check out Youtube videos), nosework, self-control exercises, etc. There is so much out there that one can not do it all.

Have fun with your pup!

Jovi

• 2 weeks later...

Pick up an inexpensive laser pointer at a store and shine it back and forth across the floor. Watch as your dog chases the laser back and forth and works out in the process. Be careful to avoid shining the laser directly in a dog’s eyes, as this can cause damage to its retinas.

Pick up an inexpensive laser pointer at a store and shine it back and forth across the floor. Watch as your dog chases the laser back and forth and works out in the process. Be careful to avoid shining the laser directly in a dog’s eyes, as this can cause damage to its retinas.

NO!

Don't do this, or you risk encouraging OCD behaviors, to which border collies are especially prone.

Not a good idea at all. You would be trading one obsessive behavior for another. Anderson22 you have some strange replies. Like the one in the topic "Introducing Two Dogs to Each Other" or the one in the Dog Food thread. Strange...

Why don't you introduce yourself so we can understand who you are or why you're on here.

oops I see Laura was posting at the same time I was

I'm just repeating the great answers above, but really, the best two things I can recommend: 1) crate or x-pen training. Puppies that young are like toddlers. They need naps and down time. They need to learn to chill with a toy or Kong and not demand constant attention and exercise. And 2) Start with some basic training in short spurts. Leash walking, sit, come. Tire her little mind out.

When you say she doesn't want to walk, are you talking about a leash walk? Maybe she's flopping down because she needs leash work? I wasn't sure if that's what you meant. Otherwise, ditto all the suggestions above, minus the laser pointer. ;)

Oh, and take it from someone who can't dust, vacuum or sweep without putting one of my dogs away, don't encourage broom chasing. LOL!

Exercise the pup's mind, not her body. She will take care of that with little games (short but frequent) throughout the day. Teach her basic obedience commands and tricks. Socialize her. Work on trust building exercises. Find trustworthy (puppy savvy) adult dogs for her to play with and learn about good manners.

Do NOT encourage any obsessive habits like chasing the broom, laser pointers, etc.

Can a spambot post targeted responses to specific posts? Yikes.

Yes, automated text based on topic such as 'dog' and 'exercise'... the actual 'advice' is from Mr. Cesar Milan website (but not written by him) - result returned by Google

http://www.cesarsway.com/training/exercise/Ways-to-Exercise-Your-Dog-Indoors