BC Boards

Cannot get sound out of whistle....help!

Chi-Ann's Mom

Well, after only getting a slight whistle sound, I broke down and purchased a Montana Lite stainless steel whistle. So, this is now what is happening. I blow just like as described and the only sound I am now getting is when I am finished blowing and I can hear a very slight little sound. I look like such an idiot blowing this darned thing. I feel so stupid. I will keep trying. I have written to the breeder of my girly hoping he knows how to blow one of these whistles so he can demonstrate the correct method. I am determined to learn to blow this darned thing!

Audrey

I'm pretty sure you can't be shown. I was shown, it didn't help. You need to spend a couple of months calling it a stupid whistle, and just before you give up, you relax a bit, and it all comes together :rolleyes: I blamed plastic, got a brass one, no difference. I just picked up a new corian, which is nice, but it's the same as the plastic, you just have to keep trying until it squeaks! Then the challenge of practicing without friends and family threatening to stuff the whistle in various orifices :D

Keep at it, it will come...

Would someone post links to whomever sells whistles. All I can find are the plastic ones and whistles out of the UK.

My husband has been struggling with whistles and putting whistles on his open dog; Preach is used mainly for farm work so his regular using his lips whistle has been fine...but in a trial at longer distances not any good;

so he bought a trained dog from a friend that wasn't trialling any more. Using verbals this dog is pushy, busts them up, doesn't do her flanks etc. One lesson with her original trainer with his melodic finger whistles and we could see what this dog was capable of.

That night John was determined to work her with whistles; he just stuck it in his mouth and worked with her. They aren't perfect but he gets some of the whistles out.

It has helped Preacher in his open trials as well as the mechanical whistle is much louder than John's regular whistling.

So maybe youjust need to buy an open dog (kidding)

cynthia

Archived