BC Boards

Renal Failure

KrisK

Zachary, my little ironman, has been diagnosed with renal failure. In itself, it could be treated, but his heart condition has worsened as well so there isn't much to be done except keep him comfortable.

I lost my Jazz two years ago (April 2) - it was Good Friday..now Zachary's failing..and it's almost Good Friday :(

I am looking for ways to make him as comfortable as possible for the next little while. If you have any suggestions please share them.

He is still eating and drinking but in the middle of the night, he vomited his food so I made the trip to the vet this morning. He thinks it might be a few days...but Zachary has always surprised us .. so it may be longer.

Mojo for him would be nice... I don't want him to suffer.

Oh Kris, I'm so sorry to hear this. I've been routing for your little Iron Man and I will continue to do so. This is the toughest part about having these wonderful creatures in our lives. Stay strong, Zachary. And may you find peace during this tough time, Kris.

I'm praying for a peaceful passing for Zach for both your sakes. You've walked a long road with this boy.

I suspect that you cant do any extra fluids because it would put too much pressure on his heart. That is the situation I have with Tex. Tex has lousy kidney function which means he needs extra fluids but on the other hand, extra fluids or exertion make him cough because his heart is congested and already working hard.

Our old Annie passed from kidney failure. Mercifully it was quick. Annie just faded away over a span of about 30 hours. In hindsight. I would have euthanized her about 12 hours earlier than I did, just to ease her journey.

As Zach fades, expect him to have tremors and possibly seizures. It is part of the process with kidney failure. He might also have laboured breathing and propping him on his sternum should help. In the old days, before we had dialysis and modern medicine, kidney failure was considered a preferred way to go as it was a gentle, easy death.

The coming days wont be easy and I wish I was closer. Hugs and great mojo to you, your husband and the little Ironman.

So far, he's resting comfortably. He sleeps alot but I would too if I were his age. :)

There's been no more vomiting and he seems hungry. Will my little ironman surprise me yet again?

It's time. It took 3 hours to get Zachary relaxed enough to sleep. He's barking, and moaning and his breathing is ragged. I know he's in pain. I'm calling the vet in the morning to set Zachary free. Jazz will be waiting at the Bridge for his best buddy and they will once again run and play the way they did.