BC Boards

Mysterious behavior problems

Both of these are very good observations.

I still think the daycare folks were probably just not really understanding what was going on and therefore unable to accommodate for it.

And I've seen the same thing many times with border collies who seem to not get along with many dogs having absolutely no issues whatsoever in a huge group of border collies. They understand each other's behaviors and they make sense to them. It's essentially a cultural issue.

Yep.

Molly has a, uh, long and varied history of hating dogs in various ways. First it was a fear thing, then it was not. But once fear was no longer a factor she is roughly 200% fine with other BC and, honestly, most other herding breeds (most - she despises cattle dogs). The reason for that is fairly simple: When she says 'no' they say 'okay' and they don't try to maul her by playing physically - they either play along side each other or play chase games - no wrestling, no bitey face, no body slamming. It's really amazing to me how WELL they read each other. Some particular individual dogs of other breeds are also okay with her, but it's particularly obvious with BC.

And, yes, one of her big 'NOPES" is another dog trying to barge into her space. Warning/air-snaps saying 'give me space'? Totally normal. They're dogs with space bubbles and a low tolerance for having them invaded uninvited, rudely, or even with an excess of enthusiasm. That's maybe not great behavior and it's certainly not daycare compatible, but it's also entirely predictable with a BC.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny, I have 5 dogs at the moment. 3 inside and my guardians out. They all get along. Some play with each other some don't. But if I took them to a daycare type setting I have a feeling they would feel a bit betrayed by me. I think I'd find them all, even the lgds sitting in a corner waiting for my return.

My dogs don't interact with other dogs. They have their own pack. And yes, I know I'm lucky to have a "pack" of dogs. They are 2 different breeds, but I definitely know the breed snobs they are. Mine just don't think it's fun or polite to interact with any other dogs. They aren't mean, they just don't exist to them. They don't fight but won't be picked on either.

I've never been a fan of doggy daycare. Since I work at home and see what my dogs are up to most of the time, I realize they are perfectly content to laze around till it's time to play (more stock work for them but they would just as easy adapt to play or other dog sports). They are as lazy as I need them to be.

My whole point is, I really think some dog people, like sport moms over do it. Keeping their dogs busy all the time and in the end they make busy dogs.

Just my 2cents

Cheers

Oh, that's a good point and I need to say:

I have 5 dogs too - all 5 in the house. All five of them are fine with each other. They don't all PLAY with each other but they're fine with cuddling up together, spending time together, and hanging out and some of them do play. Molly, even, the really selective with strange dogs dogs, is one of the most willing to play with anyone who wants to and is highly tolerant of her housemates.

It just doesn't translate to dogs she doesn't live with.

I've also seen this with my own dogs. Along with the border collies I've often had at least one other mixed breed. Even the most breed selective border collies made definitely exceptions in terms of acceptance and of and interaction with pack mates who were otherwise not their "type," even if it was a fairly typical kinda goofy (to the collies anyway) Lab mix. Those same dogs often had issues, whether it be simple disinterest or more overt dislike, with other very similarly behaved dogs who weren't part of their family -- fitting right in with unfamiliar border collies but not so much with the Labs and other non-herding dogs.

And definitely true about people creating the busyness in their dogs.

And, yes, one of her big 'NOPES" is another dog trying to barge into her space. Warning/air-snaps saying 'give me space'? Totally normal. They're dogs with space bubbles and a low tolerance for having them invaded uninvited, rudely, or even with an excess of enthusiasm. That's maybe not great behavior and it's certainly not daycare compatible, but it's also entirely predictable with a BC.

This ^ ^ ^

Once I finally accepted it I've been much more at ease with my BC not being a good daycare candidate. There's just no fixing the other dogs that have no manners. Not me, not the daycare providers and certainly not the other dogs owners.

It can make sense and be amazing at the same time!

It is also very much the explanation, I think, for why they take offense to other dogs so often. Because I think comparative to BC many other dogs have very... blunt and exaggerated body language, as well as being slower in reading more subtle forms of it.

Put those two together and it's going to be a snark-fest.