BC Boards

What to do?

My 7 year old border collie passed his Instinct Test and I started a few sessions at the farm. My boy does great especially when handled by the pro-trainer but I am the one needing help understanding the concepts and basics. Im totally green. We have done some basic agility when he was 2-3 and other fun training but I really wanted to learn herding and give my bc an opportunity to do what he was bred for (not just frisbees and swimming).He absolutely loves herding, my boy. But, today I hit a brick wall and got brain-freeze in the herding pen. What to do?

Im sure you all are well versed and have seen people fall apart with their dogs .... where do I go now because Ive lost confidence in myself, blame myself and the trainer does not speak my language (he is a bit rough). Do I go back to the drawing boards, read books, watch videos, take another class to build confidence with my bc or... quit and leave it to the pros? Im open to suggestions but please be kind thank you. Failure is pain enough and I look at my boy and think "He deserves better."

You have identified a couple of working points for yourself "My boy does great especially when handled by the pro-trainer." "I am totally green".

There is a lot going on when a green dog starts around sheep, with a green handler, who is also starting around sheep.

Go to the sheep without your dog. Learn what impact you have on them by being where you are with respect to them. Learn how effective stepping back can be and where stepping forward can lead. Take stock of their ways. Put them somewhere they do not want to go, all on your own two feet, without your boy. That might help you when you finally take him out to the sheep and make your encounters with them less wild and brick wall like.

The great trainers and handlers among us, have a good understanding of sheep behaviour which helps them anticipate where a dog will want to go. They cash in on the canine desire and give it words before the dog knows he is doing it. Soon the dog does it when he hears the words. Having poor timing can impede the learning curve. Miracles happen, but very few new handlers have the type of timing you are trying to have when saying, "My Boy, meet Sheep. Sheep, meet my Boy." I know of none. Hence your dog looks better in the hands of the pro.

If your trainer does not speak your language, try a new one, or adjust your linguistics and try harder to understand. There are successful trainers out there with a light touch and some not so light.

While you are working around your sheep, think of sending your Boy out to a pro who will bring the timing to his sheep work that you will lack. A month or two is not out of the way. It would help him come back to you with a worldlier view of sheep work that will help you too.

If you are really in earnest, acquire another dog, this one trained, with skills that will make your sheep work easy and rewarding. Such a dog will show you the ropes and turn on some lights. You will be better attired to help out your current Boy.

There are lots of videos of runs of line. Start watching them. Watch where the sheep is in relation to the dog. Watch what the handler says. Watch what works and what fails. Learn the components of success. If you have questions about runs, most handlers will discuss them. You could send an email for dialogue.

As one who is deeply devoted to this sport, this way of living, these dogs and the music they make, I cannot recommend that you pack it in. Far too compelling. Far too beautiful. Far too rewarding. Sheep dog work is a lot of work, but its personal rewards are endless.

You have identified a couple of working points for yourself "My boy does great especially when handled by the pro-trainer." "I am totally green".

There is a lot going on when a green dog starts around sheep, with a green handler, who is also starting around sheep.

Go to the sheep without your dog. Learn what impact you have on them by being where you are with respect to them. Learn how effective stepping back can be and where stepping forward can lead. Take stock of their ways. Put them somewhere they do not want to go, all on your own two feet, without your boy. That might help you when you finally take him out to the sheep and make your encounters with them less wild and brick wall like. I love this suggestion, I actually worked around goats at the Veterinary School but never "moving" them, just research so this would give me a new perspective.

The great trainers and handlers among us, have a good understanding of sheep behaviour which helps them anticipate where a dog will want to go. They cash in on the canine desire and give it words before the dog knows he is doing it. Soon the dog does it when he hears the words. Having poor timing can impede the learning curve. Miracles happen, but very few new handlers have the type of timing you are trying to have when saying, "My Boy, meet Sheep. Sheep, meet my Boy." I know of none. Hence your dog looks better in the hands of the pro. Good insight for me, you put it in words .... I understand.

If your trainer does not speak your language, try a new one I think this is the answer for me too. I don't respond well to negative criticism and I dont use it with my dog unless its a safety issue. I believe humiliation can damage confidence.

If you are really in earnest, acquire another dog, this one trained, with skills that will make your sheep work easy and rewarding. Such a dog will show you the ropes and turn on some lights. You will be better attired to help out your current Boy. Our home will not hold more than two dogs and my husband has a big lab but I understand.

There are lots of videos of runs of line. Start watching them. Watch where the sheep is in relation to the dog. Watch what the handler says. Watch what works and what fails. Learn the components of success. If you have questions about runs, most handlers will discuss them. You could send an email for dialogue.

As one who is deeply devoted to this sport, this way of living, these dogs and the music they make, I cannot recommend that you pack it in. Far too compelling. Far too beautiful. Far too rewarding. Sheep dog work is a lot of work, but its personal rewards are endless.

I dont want to quit, my heart is in this so Ill take my time and start learning the basics. I basically took my dog to an "instinct test" and the next thing I was hearing that I should enter a trial in a couple of months. I didnt think Id be ready and from your advice I think youre saying a good foundation is key. Thank you for your thoughtful response and Ive taken it to heart. I hope next time I post, it will be a better report :)

I am also a novice handler with novice dogs, so I understand how you feel. I have been lucky to find 3 different people to train with. I learn different things from all three and they all have very different teaching styles and focus on slightly different things. Plus it gives me a chance to have my dogs on different sheep at different places.

When I first started, I didn't even know what questions to ask, let alone know what I was looking for or wanted. So hang in there. it is very tough when you are first learning. One of my dogs is pretty sensitive, so I did talk to the trainer about taking a softer approach to the training and he was willing to do that, so I think it is Ok to speak up on this. I would try out a few different instructors and figure out who you like or have a combination of folks. Reading books and watching videos is good. Sheepdog training online has a starting a young dog online course too - don't know much about it, but looked interesting. the suggestion to go out and move the sheep without your dog is a good one. hang in there, soon you will be hooked for good!

I am also a novice handler with novice dogs, so I understand how you feel. I have been lucky to find 3 different people to train with. I learn different things from all three and they all have very different teaching styles and focus on slightly different things. Plus it gives me a chance to have my dogs on different sheep at different places.

When I first started, I didn't even know what questions to ask, let alone know what I was looking for or wanted. So hang in there. it is very tough when you are first learning. One of my dogs is pretty sensitive, so I did talk to the trainer about taking a softer approach to the training and he was willing to do that, so I think it is Ok to speak up on this. I would try out a few different instructors and figure out who you like or have a combination of folks. Reading books and watching videos is good. Sheepdog training online has a starting a young dog online course too - don't know much about it, but looked interesting. the suggestion to go out and move the sheep without your dog is a good one. hang in there, soon you will be hooked for good!

Great idea, thanks. Im right where you are, not knowing what questions to ask except "what does that mean?" Terminology is a big issues that I will address with my reading. I dont quite get what exhausting the sheep means. Id never heard of it until I read this board. I also like the suggestion to move the sheep by myself! Thanks for the encouragement.