Heather

Due to popular demand, we've decided to attempt to produce a DVD of the 2010

National Sheepdog Finals streaming video. Here's the deal. In order to

ensure that the USBCHA will be able to break even on the deal, we need at

least 50 orders. So we've decided to accept preorders for a month. If we

have enough orders on November 15, we'll produce the video. If not, we'll

refund your money. The video will be $35, plus $6 for shipping and will

include the complete semi-finals and finals runs (minus Lori Cunningham's

Matt's semi-finals run-we started a half hour early, and Matt was up first.

Too bad; it was a beautiful run!). Orders will be taken through PayPal on

the National Sheepdog Finals web site, at this link.

If you'd rather pay by check, send a check made out to the United States

Border Collie Handler's Association for $41. Mail it to me at Heather L.

Nadelman, 1764 Millstone River Road, Hillsborough, NJ 08844.

The producers have assured me that the DVDs will be in people’s hands before

Christmas. If you want one, order now, because we don’t currently have plans to

burn more than we have orders for. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

I'm sending the link to DH. What a kind soul, he gave me "Sweetgrass" for my birthday (and even watched it with me!), as well as a 70-300 mm lens for my camera so that I could snap some photos at the Finals. I'm optimistic of finding a copy of this DVD under the tree this year...

I only got to see the last 3 runs - and while they were spectacular, I am looking forward to being able to see them all.

How are the orders coming in? I would try to get my friends to buy some but they aren't dog people for the most part, and I can see their eyes glazing over after the first run or two.

Philistines!

• 3 weeks later...

Orders are doing fine--everyone who ordered a DVD will get one. Just a reminder that orders for the 2010 Finals DVD will close at midnight on November 14 (a week from today). That means that if you’ve sent a check and I haven’t received it by Saturday the 13th, I won’t know to order your DVD. The DVDs will arrive before Christmas. Thanks!

Orders are doing fine--everyone who ordered a DVD will get one. Just a reminder that orders for the 2010 Finals DVD will close at midnight on November 14 (a week from today). That means that if you’ve sent a check and I haven’t received it by Saturday the 13th, I won’t know to order your DVD. The DVDs will arrive before Christmas. Thanks!

Yippie! I've watched that cow dog trial video that someone posted awhile back (the one with the CW song, "Every Dog Has His Day") about eleventy-seven times. I'm ready to see sheep dogs!

• 4 weeks later...

The 2010 Finals DVDs are currently being burned and mailed out. Because we had a lot more orders than we thought we'd have, there's a possibility that all of them might not get to people before Christmas. If you need your DVD before Christmas, please email me and let me know. I'll send a list of the must-have-for-Christmas folks to the producers, who will make sure you're in the first mailing waves. Thanks!

The 2010 Finals DVDs are currently being burned and mailed out. Because we had a lot more orders than we thought we'd have, there's a possibility that all of them might not get to people before Christmas. If you need your DVD before Christmas, please email me and let me know. I'll send a list of the must-have-for-Christmas folks to the producers, who will make sure you're in the first mailing waves. Thanks!

Hmmm.... and if, by some strange coincidence, one's dear spouse (who is NOT a BC Boards member and thus cannot PM you, nor do they know of the potential holdup) may have ordered a DVD, intending it as a Christmas present... should we just alert you on their (potential) behalf? Hate to have them try to overcompensate unnecessarily...

• 3 weeks later...

I received the Finals DVDs today, and the finished product is outstanding! Thank you Heather for helping to make the 2010 National Sheepdog Finals truly memorable!!!

Regards to all,

nancy

• 1 month later...

Well I just finished my first disc of the Finals DVDs. It's wonderful but exhausting! I get so wound up, and I'm so new to watching this that half the time I don't know exactly what I'm looking at.

I did really enjoy Scott Glen and Don. I thought Don was wonderful. His sheep never seemed in a hurry like so many of the other batches. Was that him, or was he just lucky with the sheep he got? Or both?

Anyway it's awesome. I am learning. Oh to be able to go in person, and have somebody with me that could explain as the dogs went along the course. Alas, I don't drive, and my doggie friends only want to go to conformation shows. <_<

You and your conformation doggie friends would have a wonderful time at the Sonoma Wine Country Sheepdog trial, coming in mid-March. It's a gorgeous setting, very well-attended, with a fabulous benefit raffle plus food concessions and border collie themed goods for sale. There are two simultaneous Open trials on Saturday and Sunday running on two different fields. It's worth the 60 mile drive!

http://www.sonomasheepdogtrial.com/index.html

Amy

You and your conformation doggie friends would have a wonderful time at the Sonoma Wine Country Sheepdog trial, coming in mid-March. It's a gorgeous setting, very well-attended, with a fabulous benefit raffle plus food concessions and border collie themed goods for sale. There are two simultaneous Open trials on Saturday and Sunday running on two different fields. It's worth the 60 mile drive!

http://www.sonomashe....com/index.html

Amy

I agree. I had the good fortune to go to this trial last year (hey, it was only 1000 miles each way!) and if you wanted to get your conformation friends hooked on sheepdog trials, this would be a good place to start. Two Open fields, each with its own challenges but small enough that you can see all of the action. A gorgeous setting. Good food at the trial site. Great food and shopping all around in Sonoma and surrounding towns. And, all that wine! The raffle alone had dozens of bottles up for grabs.

Tell then they're going for a picnic. It will be the highlight of their month.

Hmmmmm. Wine you say? Well. I'll either have to get a license or keep one of them away from it. ;) Heck, if they're all drunk maybe they won't notice I can't really drive...

But really. That would be so awesome. Since the action will be close I can shoot PHOTOS! Yippie.

I can see it now... Sneaking off to hang with the sheepdoggers while my friends get blotto and spend too much money. This could work! :D

Oh! Happy Days! I have just watched Scott Glenn and Maid do their shed in the finals, (Awesome!) AND, I got a commitment from one of my non-doggie friends to take me to the Sonoma trial in March. We're going on Saturday. It'll be my birthday present. Yippie! My first sheepdog trial! Woot Woot!

Oh! Happy Days! I have just watched Scott Glenn and Maid do their shed in the finals, (Awesome!) AND, I got a commitment from one of my non-doggie friends to take me to the Sonoma trial in March. We're going on Saturday. It'll be my birthday present. Yippie! My first sheepdog trial! Woot Woot!

I second Amy's suggestion to attend the Sonoma trial . It is spectator friendly . It would be fun to meet someone from the Border Collie Boards. Even "non-dog" people seem to love atching this trial. bring a folding chair and some folding money! I will be there Sat/Sun.

Thanks! I hope to meet some folks from the Boards there. Also get some good pics. Too bad I don't have a telephoto lens... :( Oh well, I'll probably get so wrapped up in watching the runs I'll forget to take pictures.

Feels rather disloyal, but I plan to leave Sugarfoot at home. Sonoma can be pretty warm, even in March, and we'll be in a rented car.

Thanks! I hope to meet some folks from the Boards there. Also get some good pics. Too bad I don't have a telephoto lens... :( Oh well, I'll probably get so wrapped up in watching the runs I'll forget to take pictures.

Feels rather disloyal, but I plan to leave Sugarfoot at home. Sonoma can be pretty warm, even in March, and we'll be in a rented car.

Geonni: you might want to look into renting a telephoto lens. Much cheaper than buying one. I bought one (well, actually, got it as a b'day present: a 70-300 mm zoom, without vibration reduction as that was all that I could afford) right before the Finals, but now I'm kind of wishing I'd rented one (and saved more for the VR lens). VR is not all that important in a lens at a trial as you're likely to be shooting at fast shutter speeds, but now I kind of wish I had it for still shots.

It's not long enough, really, to capture what's happening at the far end of the field, and things can be small even at the panels, but it's a good size for penning and shedding and those "turning the post" shots.

Duncan now stays home when I go to trials. He was fine before he got "turned on" to sheep, but at this point it wouldn't seem fair to him to taunt him with them. Like dangling candy in front of a kid all day but telling them they can't have any.

This is one where they seem to prefer not having spectator dogs. Looking Glass Photo has reasonable rentals.

Archived