BC Boards

Collie Violation

Crawford Dogs

Rose isn't speaking to me. She has been shunning me for 2 days. Two days ago I violated her. Yes, I emptied her anal glands. :o

Rose is my 7 yr old autoimmune disease gal with very little vision, IVDD, poor musculature, and pica. After 7 "violation-free" years I began "torturing" Rose in March when she began having impacted anal glands. I "arrogantly" claim that it's either empty them manually or deal with abcessed anal glands down the road. The vets think that her issue is probably a combination of allergies/autoimmune disease and poor musculature. And being a vet tech I won't waste money by paying someone else to do the dirty deed (aka anal gland expression).

So, does anyone else have a Border Collie with anal gland issues or is my white dog even weirder than previously thought? :huh:

https://flic.kr/p/nZatNK

Bethany

Quinn has had some issues with his anal glands this past year. He is fine when the vet empties them but cried pathetically when the groomer did it through external only. He had a bit of blood after the groomer expressed the glands so I don't think his cries were (just) his usual drama queen reactions. Now I will only use the vet if the glands need to be expressed. A friend's Border Collie had such chronic problems that they finally removed the glands.

Are you sure there isn't something else bothering Rose? Two days is a really long time for a dog to shun a person she loves. Quinn will sulk but never for long. An hour, max. Maybe you could trade services with someone who knows how to express anal glands, doing each other's dog so Rose isn't upset with you?

It's pretty common for an allergy dog to over produce. And my sensitive dog sulks for a while too.

I once had a Collie/ German Shepherd Dog mix that had to have her glands express once a week. She didn't sulk after, she would just give me the stink-eye and then be fine. She had a bad flea allergy. So I had to squeeze her glands, and make with the tar & sulfur shampoo once a week.

My son flopped down on our sectional recliner and the foot popped out, spooking Gideon. He didn't forgive my son for a week, and he still gives my son the stink eye when he flops down in the same spot, three weeks later.