BC Boards

Pet Peeve

JohnLloydJones

OK, it's not a big deal, but since you asked...

Click on the Q & A Zone and you are taken to the "Q & A Zone" category. Now click on the Other BC Topics link from the main page and you get:

An Error Occurred

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

It also happens if you click on the link from the bread crumb. It's inconsistent. Oh and it's not new, it was there in the old version, too.

Yes, I get this error all the time. It is no real biggie but it seems like I have to go back to the BC boards & then to new categories from there or I get the error & yes it was there on the old boards too.

I don't notice it as much now...maybe because of how I use the new boards...

You're right that this has always been true -- on the old version as well as on the upgrade. In fact, one of the first things I looked at when the upgrade became activated was this, to see if it was now functional. Nope.

I've just regarded it as a feature that doesn't work. You can return to the entire Boards index by clicking on BC Boards, or you can return to the forum index by clicking on the forum name, but you can't go to an index of only the major categories ("Working Stockdogs," "Other BC Topics," and now "Q & A Zone"), even though it looks as if you could choose that option. You can't, it doesn't function. So I just ignore it. I'm not even sure going to a major category index would have any advantages over going to the full Boards index.

So it's never seemed worth addressing to me, but we can explore it with the software folks if it's an annoyance to people.

ETA: On further reflection, I think we SHOULD address this. Since it works in the "Q & A Zone," it ought to work in the other major categories, and probably is a very easy fix. So let me see what I can do.

I'm guessing that it's a setting you can change for the category. I'm not familiar with this version of the IPB software (I am more familiar with the free version), but I think if you edit the categories you will have the ability to turn on/off jumps. Most likely the defaults have changed in the new software, so you might want to compare the new categories you created with the old ones.

I reported this bug to the programmers, and I'm happy to report that it's now fixed. By the way, stuff like this (functionality that doesn't work) is a better thread for the troubleshooting forum. Use this one for things like "I'd love it if you guys gave away free vacations to Disneyworld to the person who answers the most posts every month," so we can file it under "Yeah, right!"

I reported this bug to the programmers, and I'm happy to report that it's now fixed. By the way, stuff like this (functionality that doesn't work) is a better thread for the troubleshooting forum. Use this one for things like "I'd love it if you guys gave away free vacations to Disneyworld to the person who answers the most posts every month," so we can file it under "Yeah, right!"

Yes, I did consider putting it under the the troubleshooting forum, but as it was a long standing issue I thought it fell under "Wishes and Suggestions". Anyway, I'm happy we could resolve it. Thanks, Eileen and Heather.

Archived