BC Boards

Dog aggression

IPSY

For a non space enroachment situation, I would think that trouble is most likely to occur at the end of the run. Dogs with issues can be taught some sort of end of run target behavior like touching their nose to the leash or jumping in the owner's arms, so there is less chance of them racing out of the ring after a run.

Totally agree. Ours looks for his tuggy ball. Playing with it isn't a huge reward (the chance to do agility is self rewarding to him) - it is just part of the routine.

Final jump - find ball - sit - lead on - bit of a tug.

He can search through a milling crowd of people and dogs to find his ball and not acknowledge their presence.

Pam

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

obviously dogs that are not focased should not be welcome, however as someone who competed with a dog aggressive dog, I would be pretty pissed off if I was not allowed to attend a trial because of my dogs behaviour outside of the ring! yes she looks nasty, which is why I am holding her tight and staying as far from others as a can, but just because she cannot be distrcated outside the ring does NOT mean she will loose focas INSIDE the ring.

see, this would make me EXTREMELY uncomfortable. imo, your dog's behavior outside of the ring is as important as your dog's behavior INSIDE of the ring. a dog who is aggressing and "acting like an a-hole" outside of the ring doesn't sound like a happy dog anyway. (and for clarification purposes, it has nothing to do with whether a dog is or is not aggressive, it has to do with the dog's behavior.)

i don't know you. i don't know your dog. i don't have any reason to really trust that you are completely physically in control of that dog, that she's not going to have any way to slip her collar, that she's not going to lunge and you're not going to slip and lose her. and really i don't have any reason to trust that she's not going to lose her focus in the ring. maybe i've just been in too many bad situations and seen too many bad situations that i don't trust anybody.

a dog who is aggressing and "acting like an a-hole" outside of the ring doesn't sound like a happy dog anyway.

Which is why the dog was given space and kept under control.

Given space away from those who don't watch what their dogs are doing and which inadvertently cause more trouble than those whose owners know they have issues. Away from those whose owners are too busy gassing with their friends to notice their dog blocking access and eyeballing dogs that come near.

And a dog that doesn't like others encroaching on its personal space is not deliberately going to go any distance deliberately to put itself in that position .

Pam