BC Boards

Stinky

NorthfieldNick

Stinky, whose real name was Brandy, but that never fit her as well, was found wandering an abandoned cattle ranch on the Canadian prairie. We'll never know if she ever worked stock, but she never showed much interest here. Instead, she chased cars. Careful management finally got her out of that habit.

Stinky was a mountain goat of a dog, scampering up rock faces and across logs on the coast. She was full of odd quirks, like any good Border Collie. She was forever the fun police, snarking at anyone having too much fun right up until the end.

Despite her general crabbiness, Stinky managed to be the solace for several people in her life- one through the loss of two husbands, the other after a long-term relationship ended abruptly.

Amazingly, at her lest vet visit a month ago, Stinky got a clean bill of health aside from her old-dog ailments of arthritis, deafness, and loss of vision. Stinky's mind was still good, and she wandered around the farm being a general pest, getting in the way and whatnot.

Several days ago, Stinky's hips pretty much let go, and she had trouble even standing long enough to eat her meals. It was just time, and she went peacefully at home yesterday. She's buried along the fence line, and we'll plant a crabapple over her. It'll be fitting for a cranky old dog.

Rest in pain-free peace, Stinky. It's awfully quiet around here without you.

530j9d.jpg

11cb95k.jpg

It breaks my heart to see so many posts in this section over such a short period of time. Brandy sounded special; I know you will miss her. I hope these words are of some comfort:

I got to the gate of Heaven today,

After we said good-bye.

I began to miss you terribly,

Because I heard you cry.

Suddenly there was an angel,

And she asked me to enter Heaven's gate.

I asked her if I could wait outside

For someone who would be late.

I wouldn't make much noise, you see,

I wouldn't bark or howl,

I'll only wait here patiently,

And play with my tennis ball.

The angel said I could stay right here

And wait for you to come,

Because Heaven just wouldn't be Heaven

If I went in alone.

So I'll wait right here, you take your time,

But keep me in your heart,

Because Heaven just wouldn't be Heaven

Without you to warm my heart.

~ Author Unknown

Via con Dios, Stinky.

That was a sweet tribute, and Bustopher's poem reduced me to tears, again, because at this time I am particularly sensitive to the loss of a loved dog.

I share a feeling of joy, as well, for a dog that finally had a good home and made a difference in someone's life.

So sorry to hear about Stinky - A crabapple tree is a lovely tribute. Here's something that I found in a book called If Bones Could Rain from the sky

She says "There is a cycle of love and death that shapes the lives of those who chose to travel in the company of animals. It is a cycle unlike any other. To those who have never lived through its turnings or walked its rocky path, our willingness to give our hearts with full knowledge that they will be broken seems incomprehensible. Only we know how small a price we pay for what we receive; our grief, no matter how powerful it may be, is an insufficient measure of the joy we have been given."