BC Boards

Intervertebral disc disease

JacknKota

So my almost 9 year old boy seemed to be in some pain sunday morning so I took him into the vet thinking it was just his back legs acting up since he went running on Friday. I took him in, got him some pain relief then came home to let him rest. Monday morning I got up to an even worse scense. He couldn't stand on his back legs at all. I rushed him to the nearest vet (since his doc was out of town), they perfomed some neurologic exams and said that he looked ok but that he might have a back injury. So they bring him back for x-rays and come to find out my boy has IVDD, swelling between two of his discs. Now how this happened, I have no clue. He was ordered to stay 48 hrs with aggressive steroid treatment to help bring the swelling down. At this point he is temporarily paralyed from a little bit above the waist, down. It's been about 24 hours and I get a call from the vet saying he is not responding well to the steroids and we are ordered to see the neurologist for better treatment and possibly surgery. Our appointment is at 3 and I am a nervous wreck. I really hope there is something they can do to help my old boy. Anyone have any experience with IVDD? Also, any prayers said for my boy would be help, we need all the help we can get! thanks! :rolleyes:

Here is a recent pic of my injured pup::

post-8677-1234894453_thumb.jpg

Scooter had a disk problem about two years ago at the age of two-ish. No idea how it happened. Suddenly one night he had trouble getting up from a lying down position, problems walking up the stairs, etc. Vet put him on a "short course of steroids"--6 weeks. :rolleyes: Also took him to a pet massage therapist who showed us how to do some basic massage on his back. He wanted us to sign up for the more expensive classes, but we were unable to do that at the time. He eventually got better--not sure if it was the steroids, the massage, or just time and restricted activity (or a combination of everything). It's so scary to watch them struggle to move.

This could still be fixable. Try not to panic. Not easy, I know.

Praying for you and your boy.

Keep us updated.

Pam

Thanks for the good thoughts. He is going in for surgery as I type this, and I am so very nervous. The neuro said he has a pretty good outlook since he still has feeling in his back legs. It's a pretty urgent situation and the docs are working through the night to get my old boy back to his old self. They are going to call me with any news and when he's up and awake from surgery. I will keep you updated! My little Jack is wandering the house looking for his brother, we all feel so lost when he's not here. :rolleyes: But please keep him in your thoughts tonight as the neuro's work their magic. Thanks!

The best website I know re IVDD is this one at UC Davis. Where there is paralysis, most of the vets will recommend surgery, and the sooner the better. I know this is an awful blow, and I'm sure I would tend to resist that and want to try something more conservative, but I guess I'd try to make myself do it. I have never had the problem myself, but recently a friend's daughter's border collie was diagnosed with Type 1 IVDD and had a hemilaminectomy. Too soon for me to report on how she did.

Best of luck to you.

The best website I know re IVDD is this one at UC Davis. Where there is paralysis, most of the vets will recommend surgery, and the sooner the better. I know this is an awful blow, and I'm sure I would tend to resist that and want to try something more conservative, but I guess I'd try to make myself do it. I have never had the problem myself, but recently a friend's daughter's border collie was diagnosed with Type 1 IVDD and had a hemilaminectomy. Too soon for me to report on how she did.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the site! I have been trying to do some research and prepare myself. He has temporary paralysis right now and that is why they rushed him into surgery tonight while he still has nerve reception in his legs. There was never a question in my mind other than to do the surgery so that he will be able to walk again. The surgery will cost about 5 grand, but I can't put a price on his life. He is such a happy dog and he even today when I picked him up from the vet to go to the neuro he was "smiling" at me, was looking out the window and just enjoying life, I could never put a price tag on that. So I will do whatever it takes as long as there options out there for him. I am just awaiting that phone call that tells me he came out ok.

Just thought I'd post a quick update on my boy. He made it through the 5 hour surgery and the docs said it went great. He's now resting there for at least a few days and heavily medicated to get him through the first few days ( I am sure he is hallucinating about frisbees floating all around him). It's going to be a few days before we see any imporvement, and even then it will take some time for him to really use his back legs like he was able to before, but he's a strong boy so I'm sure he'll just fine. Thanks to those of you for you good thoughts!

Thanks for the update. Certainly sounds promising. :D We get a little antsy when someone asks for good board mojo then we don't hear back for a while. :rolleyes: We really care here! :D

I can't tell you how happy I am for you that things are looking good for your boy.

As one who lost our girl in 2007 to a medical disorder involving her back (not sure if it was IVDD), I know the worry and apprehension that you were going through.

Be sure to keep us informed of his progress!

Continued thoughts and best wishes

Gary

For rehab you might want to look into swimming if you get the all clear from your vet. I know that underwater treadmill and lap pool work can be great for dogs recovering from ortho work, can't see it being bad for neuro rehab either.

He's home!

They released him two nights ago and boy has it been interesting so far! Needless to say I'm not getting much sleep (although he did pretty good last night). He has to walk with a sling to hold his back legs up for the next few weeks until he gains enough strength to walk on his own. He's already doing great for only 4 days out of surgery. It's so hard seeing him in the crate, but it's required for him to heal properly. He's on steroids for a week to prevent swelling, and add that to the fact that he is re-learning how to empty his bladder completely, means that we are going outside every few minutes since the steroids are making him very thirsty. But I'm glad to have him home again, and he has no clue that he's temporarily "broken". He still grabs his frisbee on the way outside and walks too fast for his back legs to keep up ( he walks like he's had a few drinks.. :rolleyes:).

Thanks for all the mojo, and to the poster who mentioned her lost gal back in 2007, I am sorry, back problems arise so suddenly, it's scary how quickly things can go downhill. And to the previous poster who mentioned the underwater treadmill, I am going to look into that! The speciality vet he went to for his surgery has a physical therapist with the underwater treadmill so I'm going to get some more details, although he really isn't allowed to do any activity for 4-6 weeks, it sounds promising to aid his recovery! Thanks again!!

Paws crossed for more good recovery.

My mom has Max, the Bionic dachshund, who has, in a series of surgeries starting at about age 3, most every single disc in his back removed and vertabrae fused. He's 11 now, He does not do steps or furniture, he had been trained not to, to protect his back, takes antiinflammatories, and sleeps on an orthopedic bed. But on the whole, he is a feisty, fun guy and gets along beautifully.

Hope things go well for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to pop in for a quick update, Kota is on the fast track to a great recovery! He is still on strict crate rest but his walking is almost to where it was before and he has full control over his bladder (which is something the vet said he didn't think would happen). We go on Wednesday to remove his staples and see how much longer he needs to use the sling. He still isn't allowed to walk without the sling yet, but he is desperately trying to run already and is ready to get back out and play frisbee. The hardest part now is keeping him still! But I just wanted to say thanks for all the good mojo, and thanks for keeping him in your thoughts!