BC Boards

Puppy Ears Up or Down?

I think it varies a little from puppy to puppy, but from what I've heard, the ears will do crazy things during teething, and you'll have a better idea after that's over. So, like about 6-7 months old you should have a pretty good idea if they're going all the way up or not, maybe. Folks with more experience might know better than me, though. Alex's ears were still a teeny bit floppy when I got him at 3ish months old, and they were fully erect at about 5 months.

Jade is 10 months old and her ears are up and down all the time. Her breeder told me her ears would stand up. They tend to stand up when she's reeeeaally reeeeaally excited about something, but otherwise they're down, or one is standing up. It's odd, I keep guessing whether they'll be up or down, but who knows :rolleyes:

That's the way Skylers' have always looked, kind of up, down and all over the place. She can control them pretty well. Piper's seem to bo down all the time. They are both 7 months, so I'm sure things could change still.

Piper is on the left, Skyler the right

post-8726-1220566351_thumb.jpg

Fuze had cute "button" ears (floppy fold forward) when we picked her up. I swear to goodness that night, they started lifting.

So, between 7 weeks and 10 months, she had every sort of ear set possible...

And, ended up with mis-matched ears most of the time:

fuze-41207.jpg

But, really, she has prick ears.

fuzeherd907i.jpg

I guess it just depends on the day - she's 2.5 yo now.

Jennifer Akins

www.jentodogs.com

Fuze had cute "button" ears (floppy fold forward) when we picked her up. I swear to goodness that night, they started lifting.

So, between 7 weeks and 10 months, she had every sort of ear set possible...

And, ended up with mis-matched ears most of the time:

fuze-41207.jpg

But, really, she has prick ears.

fuzeherd907i.jpg

I guess it just depends on the day - she's 2.5 yo now.

Jennifer Akins

www.jentodogs.com

Hi Jennifer,

Keegan say's 'HI!' to his cousin Fuze....That'll do-ha ha!

Janet

Robbie at 16 mos. His ears were fairly erect from the time we got him at 4 months. Up to 9 months there was a lot of movement, he looked like a bat most of the time. He is now almost 2-1/2 and looks pretty much like this photo except his chest hair is fuller and curlier.

Edit: Oops the photo is small but if you click on it you can see it better. (Just getting the hang of this!)

post-9181-1220641317_thumb.jpg

• 10 years later...
On 9/3/2008 at 3:48 PM, Indydog said:

At what age are you able to tell if the ears will be erect or not? My gf and i argue like kids about our pup's ears. She like them floppy and I want them to be erect. :rolleyes:

2597194672_fdb09d51ca_b.jpg

Hey!  How’d the ears turn out? My pup has that same set   I know that doesn’t mean his will turn out the same... just curious

• 10 months later...