BC Boards

Help with riding in car

• 2 weeks later...

We've restarted the desensitization protocol, but seems like visual stimuli are just too exciting for Finn. Even when the car is parked, he gets distracted by leaves blowing by, not to mention people and cats. We are thinking of trying the covered crate again to reduce this variable.

What type of crate would folks recommend? We have a metal crate, but in the past when Finn has gotten stressed in the car, he's resorted to biting the bars, and I'm worried about him injuring his teeth. Ideally, with the protocol, we won't ever reach this point again, but just curious to know overall thoughts on metal vs. plastic vs. soft-sided car crates?

Also, how big of a crate is ideal for car travel? The one Finn sleeps in at night is big enough for him to stand up and turn around comfortably - I'm worried it will allow him to much movement, not to mention it takes up the entire back area of my station wagon. We have a smaller crate from when he was a puppy - he isn't able to sit and stand fully upright in this smaller one, but can lay curled up comfortably.

Lastly, has anyone ever used medications to help with desensitization? I've been trying to exercise Finn before working on the car each day, but wondering if meds will help keep him calm and speed the process along. I don't want to have him on meds in perpetuity, just to help him with his fear of car rides.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to check in and say we've had MAJOR progress using a covered crate to reduce visual stimuli, and a kong stuffed with yummy treats (gives Finn something to do while riding). We spent about a week just getting in the car/crate, sitting in it with the car running while Finn enjoyed his kong. We've slowly been upping our drive times and speed. For reference, I used to not be able to back out of our driveway without Finn barking or crying. We've now made it over a mile from home with NO noise. I pair each drive with a fun place (park, beach, etc), which seems to also be helping.

A long ways from being able to drive far or fast yet, but this is night and day from where we were at the start of the month.

Thanks again for all the advice!