BC Boards

Longevity

I know this is an older thread but hoping for some feedback on longevity. My BC is 13 1/2, was diagnosed as in kidney failure a year ago, and has been on a diet to address that ever since (mostly homemade food). According to the vet, she shouldn't have lasted past August (2 months ago), yet seems to me to be going strong, maybe peeing a little more frequently, some mild arthritis and is mostly deaf.

When she was diagnosed, the vet gave her a year (which would have been August). Her labwork improved  a few months after going on the low-protein diet; again the vet said 'about a year' (which would've been this month). Indeed, from whatever moment or health condition my dog finds herself in, she apparently has a year to live.

I'm not sure what I'm asking here except perhaps for anecdotal evidence about old BCs, longevity, and kidney failure. When I got the diagnosis the first time, I put into motion some significant life-change plans, including moving in a year and a half or so (and out of the country). Now I'm wondering if I (we) should plan to stay put for a few more years. 

3 hours ago, JMack said:

I know this is an older thread but hoping for some feedback on longevity. My BC is 13 1/2, was diagnosed as in kidney failure a year ago, and has been on a diet to address that ever since (mostly homemade food). According to the vet, she shouldn't have lasted past August (2 months ago), yet seems to me to be going strong, maybe peeing a little more frequently, some mild arthritis and is mostly deaf.

When she was diagnosed, the vet gave her a year (which would have been August). Her labwork improved  a few months after going on the low-protein diet; again the vet said 'about a year' (which would've been this month). Indeed, from whatever moment or health condition my dog finds herself in, she apparently has a year to live.

I'm not sure what I'm asking here except perhaps for anecdotal evidence about old BCs, longevity, and kidney failure. When I got the diagnosis the first time, I put into motion some significant life-change plans, including moving in a year and a half or so (and out of the country). Now I'm wondering if I (we) should plan to stay put for a few more years. 

Okay here's some anecdotal evidence. My family went through this last year. I hope your dog does well, because it seems she's so far been doing better than ours did. Our family border collie was roughly the exact same age as yours when she was diagnosed with kidney failure, though she was from a rescue so we can't be 100% sure on age. She was said to be at 1/4 kidney function when she was diagnosed. I have put the relevant test values below for comparison (thanks to my mom for looking these up). The vet said she probably had 6-12 months, with the longest possible time left being 2 years. My mom changed her to a low protein diet. She was completely raw diet before this, but was switched to a special low protein diet. My mother added green tripe and pureed cauliflower based on recommendations online. The vet's recommendation proved true, and she lasted about 7 months. She was on a medication for urinary incontinence prior to the diagnosis, so it was impossible to tell whether she had to pee more as the condition progressed. She did start to lose back end mobility towards the end, though she remained relatively mobile until the end.

She was also a dog with progressing dementia, and this got significantly worse in the last year of her life. It was bad enough that if she didn't have kidney disease, I still don't think it would have been possible to keep her going much longer with the debilitating dementia.

SVMA: 40 ug/dL

Creatinine: 2.5 mg/dL

BUN: 48