BC Boards

What info do you put on your dog's ID tag?

I'm just curious what information you put on your dog's ID tag. I need to order new tags for the dogs. Normally, I just put dog's name, my name, my phone number and an alternate number, microchip ID number and microchip company phone number.

Before I order I'm curious to see what everyone else puts on their dog's ID tag. Thanks!

I'm just curious what information you put on your dog's ID tag. I need to order new tags for the dogs. Normally, I just put dog's name, my name, my phone number and an alternate number, microchip ID number and microchip company phone number.

Before I order I'm curious to see what everyone else puts on their dog's ID tag. Thanks!

Our guys just have their names and our phone #. But they do have a little separate plastic tag that we got when they were chipped that says something like, "I am lost." and has the chip info.

I love Boomerang tags! That is what the dogs have now, but I need to change my last name on the tag due to getting married last fall. I just changed my last name on their city license info, so I want to make sure the tags match to avoid any kind of confusion should they ever end up lost.

Side 1:

Jade's Name

my phone number

Side 2:

my street address

city, state, zip

What's a 'boomerang' collar?

At the moment I just have a temporary tag that has my phone number and my brother's phone number (since my phone number doesn't have a local area code on it but my brother's does) and that's it. She also has the AVID tag that comes with the microchip. When I get a new tag for her I'm probably going to just put my number and my brothers, and "AVID" and AVID's 1-800 number all on one tag. I know it sounds paranoid or whatever but I've been warned not to put the dog's name on the tag since that increases the chances of the person who finds your dog wanting to just keep her for themselves, or so I've heard.

One one side I put the dog's name.

On the other I put our last name, home and both cell phone numbers, and "Reward". If the dog takes daily medication I also put "Needs Medication" on the tag.

I use Boomerang tags too! I love them. They are the best tags anywhere, and for only $8. Black Jack's is pretty plain. It looks like this:

My name

Address

Phone #

I have brass plates that are attached to the collar.....

DeltaBluez Dogs

cell number

home phone number

city. State

And they have a flashing red tag (active at night)...

Kodi (Great Pyr) was recently spooked by the thunder, ran to the neighbors and he got the info off the collar. I had tags but they would rippedoff /lost etc so the brass plates are great.

In addition, I got bright purple nylon collars that the plates are on. Here is the company I got them from. I got the center ring type

http://www.huntsmart.com/index.cfm/fuseact...251,l-760/pos/5

Diane

My dogs have a number of things hanging from their collars w/ various info.

Maggie has an id tag (Name; City, State; Cell #), city license (city ID #), Delta Society tag, and Rabies tag (with our Vet's info and a traceable ID #).

Ziva has the above minus the Delta tag. Her ID hasn't been updated since she was adopted so instead of her name it says "Foster Dog, Call If Found".

I have brass plates that are attached to the collar.....

Boomerang has collar tags, too, which are transferable between collars - The stainless steel ones are especially bulletproof.

http://www.boomerangtags.com/page.php?c=collartags&k=h

My tags all say "REWARD" at the top (or "REWARD for return") and then have my name, phone number, and an alternate phone number. At least one of the numbers is my cell phone, since if I'm traveling to trials or whatever that would be the number where I'd most likely be reached. If I have room, I'll add city and state. I figure letting the finder know there's a reward for the dog is more important than letting them know the dog's name (or perhaps folks will just think the dog's name is Reward!) or where we live. MY LGD's tag says both "reward" and "microchipped" and when next I change my other dogs' tags, I'll probably add the "microchipped" line as well. Since tags are either boomerang or riveted to collars, it also allows me to interchange collars if necessary without worrying about a dog having a wrong name (for example, Pip is wearing a collar that either used to belong to someone else or was an extra--and Robin just loooves the way it looks on him!). They're also tattooed, which is pretty obvious if the dog rolls over, so the overkill alone ought to help finders get the dog back to me.

J.

Diane - Where did you get your flashing tags? I am always on the lookout for something for walks in the fields in the dark before and after work in the winter.

I'm not Diane (obviously), but here're a fw sources:

http://www.dogbooties.com/products/lightedcollar.html

http://www.dogbooties.com/products/flascollig.html

http://www.keepdoggiesafe.com/collars.html...CFQOIFQod8UV-UA

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template..._requestid=7913

Interesting thread! I have Boomerang tags, too!! Great company, quality products, super-fast service. Godiva has a small red plastic heart-shaped hang tag, and Mojo has a medium round brass hang tag.

Both dogs' tags have text on both sides, as follows:

---------------------------------

ON SIDE 1:

---------------------------------

"Dog's name" (in quotes)

I AM LOVED BY (MY NAME)

MY ADDRESS

CITY, STATE

----------------------------------

ON SIDE 2:

----------------------------------

Phone number (H)

Phone number (V)

-----------------------------------

[H = home, V = vet emergency number.]

I also thought of putting the "I am loved by" mainly because I thought it was cute, but also to differentiate between the dogs' names and my name, in case whoever finds my dogs gets confused (I have an unusual name), especially since I would WANT my dogs to be friendly to whoever finds them, so I thought knowing their names might help...although I did wrestle with putting or not putting the dogs' names on their tags for quite some time, in case it would aid someone in stealing my dogs....but frankly, at Godiva's advanced age and with Mojo's aggression towards unfriendly strangers, I find it much less likely that my dogs would be stolen than lost.

I forward my home number to my cell whenever I leave the house, so I didn't have to give out my cell number. I also chose to put the vet's 24-hour emergency number, since I want whoever finds my dogs to call OUR vet and not some random vet, as they both have major medical issues and I don't want them to receive the wrong treatment if (heavens forfend) I am somehow not available by phone. I also have both dogs' city license tags hanging on their collars (which has a 1-800 number on it). Mojo also wears his Avid microchip blue plastic tag (also with a 1-800 number), but Godiva's is on her harness (she is too small for so many tags). I decided to skip the rabies tag, since in order for a dog to be licensed, you have to have a valid rabies vaccination, anyway, and since both dogs are indeed licensed and registered with the city, all their history (and my name/address/phone, rabies vacc and spay/neuter status) can be looked up through the city system via their license numbers and microchip numbers....plus, if they get picked up by city animal control, I feel as if they might get treated better, since they will know there is an owner.

I order from Boomerang tags too. Great tags, great service.

Solo wears a Medic Alert dog tag (the same style as military dog tags, that is called a "man tag" on the website). It hangs lower and has larger letters than the normal dog tags, which is important because it is possible a stranger would not be able to grab him by the collar and read the information close up. I hope that people would be extra motivated to help out if they can see that Solo has medical concerns (he takes daily medication). The text is:

[dog name]

[my name]

[my cell phone number]

[my email address]

REWARD FOR RETURN

Fly and Jett wear normal dog tags with the same information on them. All three also wear the yellow ID tags that came with their microchips.

Allie's boomerang tag says:

loose=lost

###-###-#### ©

###-###-#### (H)

microchipped

reward for return

I didn't put her name on because at the time I thought she was just a foster. The day I adopted her (a year ago yesterday!), she got an additional hangtag with her name and my address. She also wears her city license and rabies tags. I'm not sure if this is the case, but I was told that having the microchip number is enough to change the mc registration info, so I don't leave it visible.

My dogs have brass plates riveted on to their collars. They say

Dog's name

My name

My cell number

But (especially in my neighborhood), I love the idea of adding loose = lost.

Taz and Sophie are also tattooed on their inner thighs. (And they're all also chipped.) Taz's tattoo is his ABC number and Sophie's is my birthdate. I wouldn't expect either number to be relevant to someone finding them, but I figure they (or a shelter) might look up tattoo registries or at least realize they're pets owned by someone...

Our dogs never wear collars; they go to agility trials and for walks on british slip leads. Their slip leads have a tag with dog's name and our phone number so we don't mix the leashes up at agility trials. All of our dogs are microchipped and hopefully they will be scanned if they ever get lost! Hasn't happened yet in 20 years, but I did have a BC almost drown when he caught his collar in tree roots when we were canoeing! (One of the reasons for NO collars.)

Barb S