BC Boards

Floor surface for a Puppy Pen?

When I brought Nick home I set him up in an ex-pen (one of the TALL ones) set up in a stop-sign like shape, with ONE of the panels left out of the circle. I put the ex-pen on the kitchen linoleum in front of the doorway into the kitchen (it's a large arched doohickey). I leashed it to the freezer that was beside it, and used the swinging panel to block the doorway to the kitchen. It served to not only keep Nick contained while I worked, but also to block of the kitchen and keep him from wandering off while we were in the living room.

I took the door off of a medium crate (which I left in there - strapped down), and put newspapers down on the floor. After the fourth or fifth day of no potty accidents but lots of puppy-killed newspaper the NP went bye bye. At about 9 or 10 weeks he was still having no potty accidents and seemed unhappy in the ex-pen so he was moved to a crate in the dog room with the other dogs for daytime (with a lunch break, of course). He HATED being left in the ex-pen.

I've found what you would use for a litter of pups would be different than when you get your puppy at 7-8 weeks old.

The one litter I had, I bought lineolum and put it under the whelping box and xpen that was attached to the whelping pen.

When I get a pup at 7-8 weeks old, they stay in a small crate, big enough to stand up in, but that is all. When they are crated I want them to be quiet (no toys or bones etc), the small space helps to prevent them from peeing in the crate. All my pups have slept thro the night as soon as I have gotten them home, 10pm to 5-6am. They do sleep next to my bed and if they make any noise they get a "quiet" from me, they don't usually make any noise after that.

I work 1/2 days, so the pup is crated for about 5-6 hours, in the same small crate, when I am at work.

Right now I do have an xpen setup in my kitchen for my 9 week old pup, because my husband recently had surgery and if I'm not able to keep an eye on him, I'll put him in the xpen so he isn't bothering my husband.

This pup is NOT a climber, but my bitch that is 8 months old, was a climber from the day I got her. Where do you find a 7 1/2 week old pup in the camper? Well, if you look UP, you will find her on top of the counters. Put a cover on the xpen and secure with bungees, she would push the top aside, secure the top with snaps, she will dig her way out, unless she excavates a large boulder! Her mother is an escape artist also. She's the cute thing in my avataar :rolleyes:

Nancy O

Melanie: Does this mean there's a puppy in your immediate future? :rolleyes:

A

I have been using a 500 vari-kennel style crate for my pup (now 14 months) and it's working out well. I go home from work at lunch on most days to let he and the other two dogs out.

I experimented a short while back with leaving the puppy with his buddy the 6 y.o. dog baby-gated in the kitchen/family room area for some afternoons. Suffice to say the puppy is back in his crate because he rearranged all of the sofa cushions and brought them into and underneath the kitchen cabinets. Clearly he is not ready for adult privileges!

good luck,

--Billy

A friend used an SUV rubber cargo liner (w/ lipped edge) under an 8 panel X Pen....said it worked great.

Perhaps not any help to Melanie, but I emptied and gated my pantry (8ft x 3ft) when Rye was a pup and indoors. I built a box with a 2x4 across the back of the pantry then lined it with a vinyl table cloth and filled it with shredded paper (later just flat newspaper).

Please note the older dog in the background stealing the Giggly Wiggly

LetMeOut.jpg

A time lapse....Rye did in fact get bigger between photos

MyPen.jpg