BC Boards

Rough collie vs. rough-coat BC

Thats not really a BC! Its a toy for the HUGE rough collie! Holy cow! :D

Noah_Lightning.jpg

:rolleyes: That's from back when Lightning was just a pup. He's 2 years old now and 60 pounds. Don't feel too sorry for him though when he was little, as he grew a bit (probably in the 5-6 month range) that "toy" played pretty rough with poor Noah. He used to take him by that big fluffy tail and DRAG him backwards across the floor. Didn't have to brush Noah's tail too much in those days, it was pretty bare. Surprisingly, Noah still likes puppies :D Noah also used to be a play toy when he was tiny. When we got him at 8 weeks of age we also had two 6 month old great dane puppies and at that age they were already huge. I have pictures, but I don't think I have any uploaded to share except this one where Noah's about 4 months I think, which would make the danes 8 month old "puppies":

wrestlingdanes.jpg

Beautiful collies :D The racing seems like a lot of fun!

Jackson and I just started competing in disc dog competitions this year. We placed a few times in the beginning division. He loves it. We just go out to have fun. I'm working now so I can compete in the disc freestyle. DH is interested in flyball and if we get another bc I would like to try agility. Actually Jackson would be great at agility but he gets so wound up and loses focus :rolleyes: But I'm trying a drop in class near by to see if he enjoys it. The same group does therapy work with local nursing homes and hospitals and I really want to give that a try.

Luckily DH is interested in all of the same stuff and my bf has jackson's brother and an aussie pup so I have plenty of company :D

My dog is a rough coat and has really long fur. I'd challenge anyone on these forums to show me a pic of a BC with longer fur! He doesn't have a grooming problem at all though. He gets combed to get rid of loose hair, which I stopped about 3 weeks ago cause he wasn't shedding too bad anymore, other than that I dont have to groom him at all. Here's a pic that shows his long fur in superfluff mode. He had spent a day at the lake and then air dried afterwords lol.

This is him on a normal day

lancefluff3.jpg

Fluffed up.

lancefluff.jpg

lancefluff2.jpg

Guest LJS1993
My dog is a rough coat and has really long fur. I'd challenge anyone on these forums to show me a pic of a BC with longer fur! He doesn't have a grooming problem at all though. He gets combed to get rid of loose hair, which I stopped about 3 weeks ago cause he wasn't shedding to bad anymore, other than that I dont have to groom him at all. Here's a pic that shows his long fur in superfluff mode. He had spent a day at the lake and then air dried afterwords lol.

This is him on a normal day

lancefluff3.jpg

Fluffed up.

lancefluff.jpg

lancefluff2.jpg

Man Sir-Lance-A-Pup is furry.

Man Sir-Lance-A-Pup is furry.

Yes, he is. But he doesn't normally look like that. Thats why I took those pics, cause he was so fluffed.

I saw it coming though, lol. Look at him as a little pup!

415172_1162517661.jpg

415172_1166171079.jpg

I think it's cool. When he runs it makes him look like he's going REALLY fast lol.

He's beautiful! I love his coat! But I thing for silky, fluffy dogs :rolleyes:

Case in Point:

Jackson_beach.jpg

Assateague012.jpg

Annapolis049.jpg

But I don't think he beats Lance lol! He does have the thick collie undercoat though. All the birds in my neighborhood have collie lined nests for spring :D

I think that being more used to collies, Lance is what I was imagining a rough BC should look like so some of the "rough BC" pictures I saw surprised me. They seemed more like a medium coat. Storm was never quite as fluffy as that one picture of Lance as a puppy, but the picture of Lance on the bed reminds me of what Storm's coat looked like a month or two ago. Hmmm...guess I get to play the wait and see game. I'm doing that right now with his ears too. Most of the time they're down, but sometimes they look like they're trying to stand up, and sometimes one's part way up and one's sticking out to the side.

I have both rough and smooth coated BCs although neither Thunderbolt or jasmine have extremely long coats,they both are rough coated,whereas Lulu is quite smooth coated.

None of them really require much grooming,,,all 3 have pretty much self cleaning coats,,Thunderbolts requiring the most time to clean and dry due primarily to his thick curly coat.

Jasmine gets abit of matting behind her ears from time to time but nothing problematic.

Lulu drys the fastest and stays the cleanest,of course she is so fast and always in motion that I don't think dirt or mud has much of a chance to adher to her slick body.

All 3 seem to constantly shed some,,,but minimual for the breed imo.

Thunderbolt

tbolthead.jpg

Jasmine

jasminemarch9th.jpg

Lulu

lulufeb3th.jpg

Thunderbolt & Jasmine (watching their version of TV)

tboltjaz1.jpg